The marathon where I hit my head on a bridge (Read 812 times)

xor

Here is my report for the Tri-Cities Marathon on 10/26. I hit my head on a bridge and little cartoon birds flew around it for a few seconds. The Tri-Cities are three little cities (or big towns) in eastern Washington State: Richland, Pasco, and Kennewick. Alright then.

Was this the first time you hit your head hard during a marathon? Okay I should read the report first Smile

Vim

xor

Was this the first time you hit your head hard during a marathon? Okay I should read the report first Smile
        It's the first time I've hit my HEAD during a race, yes. Certainly not the first fall. I've had some doozies in trail runs. Those usually involve arms, legs, shoulders, and water bottles. But a fall during a road marathon? First time. The head bedazzler was just a bonus.

mummydust

I was probably 5 minutes behind you at that point. It was tricky trying to pass anyone on that narrow walkway, with the wind and all. Glad you were up and moving before I got there. If I ever do find you on the ground with tweety birds circling your head I promise to stop and really make sure you are ok. If you think you are ok, but I am not convinced I will walk with you to just before the finish when I will suddenly sprint ahead, so I can say I beat you.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*waits for Lifesabeach to report in about the time she ran into a road sign* Glad you were OK. Running can be dangerous--and not just for the obvious tripping on stuff or slipping on ice. I still can't believe how easy you make marathons sound. I guess when you run that many they at least become less of a shock to the system. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Srl, As always, enjoyed your report. I can attest to the "challengingness" of Umatilla. I decided to run Umatilla and TCM as my first double. The "unpaved portion" at Umatilla (6M of dirt and sand) was some hard going. I went out with the 2hr early starters at TCM and ran the first 8+ miles with Monte. This really saved my bacon. Took it easy, running at a conversational pace so that I had a little something in the tank when the wind hit at mile 16. Wind and sand, does it get any better than that?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

mummy: yes, please trick me by walking and then suddenly sprinting at the very end. That would be cool! zoom: My marathons rarely ever feel easy or effortless. There are miles in every race... sometimes a couple, sometimes 26 of them (or, ahem, 50... not my thing, argh)... that are rough. The nice thing about running lots of them is that when I have a bad day, I know there's another one Real Soon. Although sometimes, like Kona in 2007, I put lots of pressure on myself to do something and then when I can't, it really sucks. gumbee: wind and sand. I think I'm glad I didn't come to Umatilla.

I may be forced to run Umatilla sometime. Sis and Ma Econo and I have challenged each other to race (any distance) in all 36 of Oregon's counties. Oy

Bugs

Ouch! Very cool you completed it and within your goal. Well done.

Bugs

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Always love your reports. Sheesh, next time find an attractive young thing, go for the sympathy and request a kiss on your boo boo. Evil grin Glad to hear the the cancer testing came out okay. Waiting around for those sucks.
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Dave

Thanks for posting that one Stevie. As always, your reports are inspirational. Very glad to hear about the good news on the medical front.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats on surviving & recovering from & finishing after a metal post hit & fall -- and great report. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.