The Secret of Effective Motivation? (Read 419 times)

Joann Y

Reclaiming the Power of Play

Liked this article (although I think I need to read it a couple of more times to really get it) and this quote:

The stakes for play are higher than we think. Play is a way of being that resists the instrumental, expedient mode of existence. In play, we do not measure ourselves in terms of tangible productivity (extrinsic value), but instead, our physical and mental lives have intrinsic value of their own. It provides the source from which other extrinsic goods flow and eventually return.

When we see an activity like music as merely a “key to success,” we shortchange it and ourselves. Playing a musical instrument is both the pursuit of fulfillment and the very thing itself (the actualizing of potential). Playing, or even listening, in this case, is a kind of unique, embodied contemplation that can feed both the mind and the body.

When we truly engage in such “impractical” leisure activities — with our physical and mental selves — we do so for the pleasure they bring us and others, for the inherent good that arises from that engagement, and nothing else. That’s the “holy yea.”

Just another way to think about this stuff I guess.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Honestly, I think the secret is just to not make it a choice.  Whatever that means.  But as soon as you have to decide "should I", then you're going to lose to willpower fatigue.

Just make a schedule and be a slave to it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Chasing the bus

Honestly, I think the secret is just to not make it a choice.  Whatever that means.  But as soon as you have to decide "should I", then you're going to lose to willpower fatigue.

Just make a schedule and be a slave to it.

Pretty much what this guy always says; http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/08/how-to-stop-being-lazy/

I love reading his blog, though I almost never apply it...

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test