Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

What, in particular, about the aerobic system in relation to performance do you think I'm leaving out?
    More excerpts from Run Faster Running Economy "The term 'running economy' refers to the energy cost of running at a given speed. Reducing the energy cost of running at your goal pace will help you sustain that pace all the way to the finish line." A while back I wrote an article making this very point - running economy is about energy use, not oxygen consumption. Therefore, when running economy improves it means the amount of energy you are burning at any particular pace is less. I propose that one of the main reasons that energy usage declines is because the muscle fibers have become more powerful. More powerful individual muscle fibers means fewer overall muscle fibers have to be activated to run at any particular pace.
    Quotes, no doubt, taken out of their real context. Just like conveniently forgetting to mention that the authors in that other article completely disagreed with your interpretation of the data? "running economy is about energy use, not oxygen consumption" So I suppose we're all running marathons anaerobically now? Good, then I can stop wasting energy by breathing when I run...this is an idiotic statement even by your standards. energy use = oxygen use. Period. Nobody said muscle improvement isn't involved. It's your idiotic notion that it's the ONLY thing that makes you a loon.
    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Not participating in this thread, just using it as a convenient place to respond to JK. There is certainly little else of interest.... oh wait, apart from lady above. Thanks Mike. (That's not going to help you "taper") 2 x trolls in same thread responding to each others' drivel must lead to an ever decreasing circle of fetid bollocks which, as it increases in speed, will rival even that weird tunnel under the Alps. When it reaches terminal velocity two things happen: 1) implosion, as you so rightly pointed out 2) BlueSkies, Rich and Trent will all be revealed as the same person. Oh. More ladies, less clothes please.
      Why? I'm asking questions about running and learning. I responded to Rich with an open mind and treated him respectfully. Troll is someone who is baiting or insincere.
      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Rich_

blue skies, Sorry, I didn't understand your answer. I don't know what part of the aerobic system, relating to performance, that you think is absent.
        Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
          Their muscles fatigue prior to reaching VO2max - in other words it's not their aerobic system that is holding them back.
          Spaniel wrote detailed post here. Where is the aerobic system in power running? Do you think all running is anaerobic?

Rich_

Spaniel wrote detailed post here. Where is the aerobic system in power running? Do you think all running is anaerobic?
            Okay, I see now. You're are echoing spaniel on the areobic system. It's not that I believe the aerobic system is not involved in running - it is most certainly involved. Clearly we breathe all the time and more so while running. The issue is not whether the aerobic system is involved in performance or not because every part of your body is involved to some degree while running. The issue is whether the aerobic system limits endurance performance or not. Just because a part of your body is involved in the act of running does not mean it limits running performance. Based on the available research, I suggest that in the large majority of cases the aerobic system does not limit performance. And, in those small % of cases where oxygen delivery limits performance, it is still muscle that determines the speed at which you are running when you reach the limit of oxygen intake/delivery/transport/utilization. In these few cases, then, it is both muscle + aerobic metabolism together that exert the most influence on performance.
              Rich: The study doesn't indicate that changes in cardiovascular system development are important since the change in VO2max was not significant. Spaniel: If you haven't a study to quantify that 5% would not be a boon to performance, how can YOU leap to the conclusion that this is not a significant factor in performance? YOU CAN'T. For all you know that could be 30min in a marathon, not 10. Rich: I didn't leap to a conclusion. I simply cited what the researchers themselves said - change in VO2max was not significant. Spaniel: Clearly, you did. You confuse deriving statistical significance from baseline with the numerical change being important to performance (IF the study had been appropriately powered to even study the importance of this point). You simply say "it was not significant" and leap straight to "this means VO2max is not important to performance".
              Assuming the first part is true. It doesn't rule out the aerobic system. The problem is your conclusion from the research.

Rich_

Assuming the first part is true. It doesn't rule out the aerobic system. The problem is your conclusion from the research.
                Before you decide that my conclusions are wrong you might want to review that research study being discussed in the quote you cited. That research study doesn't address whether the aerobic system limits performance.
                  Research shows that only a small % of people actually reach VO2max during a VO2max test. Their muscles fatigue prior to reaching VO2max - in other words it's not their aerobic system that is holding them back.
                  Before you decide that my conclusions are wrong you might want to review that research study being discussed in the quote you cited. That research study doesn't address whether the aerobic system limits performance.
                  It seems you made the conclusion "in other words it's not their aerobic system that is holding them back" when it may or may not be true. Are you citing something not in Spaniel's post. Can you post it here or link to the study.

Never mind. I'm going to remove myself from here. I run for fun... You have some good ideas. It's not about running anymore. It's personal. Good luck.

Rich_

It seems you made the conclusion "in other words it's not their aerobic system that is holding them back" when it may or may not be true. Are you citing something not in Spaniel's post. Can you post it here or link to the study.
                      Spaniel's post and the research study we were discussing was not about aerobic limitations. I cited 2 studies previously in this thread that found a low incidence of VO2max - those are the studies you would want to start with to see just how many actually reach VO2max during a VO2max test (i.e. how many actually reach the point where it could be said that oxygen intake/transport/utilization might be limiting performance).
                      Rich_

Never mind. I'm going to remove myself from here. I run for fun... You have some good ideas. It's not about running anymore. It's personal. Good luck.
                        Thank you for the discussion. Best of luck to you.

Right on Hereford...

Rich, a suggestion... Since exercise physiology is a lifelong passion for you, why not go to grad school and get a degree in the field?

De-slacking in progress

. Based on the available research, I suggest that in the large majority of cases the aerobic system does not limit performance. And, in those small % of cases where oxygen delivery limits performance, it is still muscle that determines the speed at which you are running when you reach the limit of oxygen intake/delivery/transport/utilization. In these few cases, then, it is both muscle + aerobic metabolism together that exert the most influence on performance.
                            Really- try smoking a couple of cigarettes before you go out for a run. My muscles are still the same

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Rich_

Rich, a suggestion... Since exercise physiology is a lifelong passion for you, why not go to grad school and get a degree in the field?
                              It's a fine idea and one I've seriously considered previously. At some point I'd really like to get a Masters in exercise physiology. Perhaps at some point life will be such that I can pursue that particular goal.
                              Purdey

Self anointed title

2 x trolls in same thread responding to each others' drivel must lead to an ever decreasing circle of fetid bollocks which, as it increases in speed, will rival even that weird tunnel under the Alps.
                                See.