Forerunner 305 - fluke Heart Rate or did I have a Heart Attack? (Read 1065 times)

JERE

Shocked I'm a 30 year runner, age 54. 177 pounds, 6'1". I'm in real good shape though not fast (Training Pace 10:30-8:45 per mile range). Last Sunday I went for a 14 miler. I started off easy on a very hilly course. It was very in the low 40's & gloomy. At mile 3 my normal heart rate of around 125bpm spiked up to 175! I didn't feel like it was beaten that fast or fibrillating or skipping. This lasted for about 3-5 minutes. I continued my run with no change in pace or intensity. I am sometimes insulin sensitive but only if I exert too soon after eating. The only other thing I did different was to eat 2 English Muffins with Peanut Butter about 3 hours before my run. I've been trying to get used to doing some light fueling after years of being a fasting runner & am finding benefit in strength from light eating, using gels & some sport drinks. I think the Forerunner has done this once before, but I don't recall the situation as it was quite a long time ago. I've had stress tests, take meds for cholesterol & triglycerides & am doing real good there. Overall 170. Good ratios. If anyone has had similar experiences please share. JERE
    JERE

Imminent Catastrophe

Happens all the time. The HRM isn't a medical device.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I didn't feel like it was beaten that fast or fibrillating or skipping.
        There you go. Here's my tip whenever my heartrate monitor goes shithouse: 1. Stop 2. Place hand on heart or fingers on wrist. 3. Look at watch. 4. Count. I'm betting instrumentation error.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you don't have good contact with the electrode, you sometimes get an artificially high heart rate. You also mentioned it was a very hilly course. Some hills are enough to elicit a very high heart rate no matter what speed you go. I have hill near my home that I will spike up to 90% maxHR on even though I've slowed to what feels like a crawl.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Ben Running

Most likely you would have felt the spike physically if it happened. When this happens it reminds me of my depth finder on my boat, i will be in 10 foot of water and all of a sudden it will show 20 feet and sometimes 40 feet and i can see the bottom. Nothing has changed. Just think of how that monitor detects the heart beat, no way is it going to be perfect when you are sweating and bouncing around.
              Running near a strong electrical current can also cause spikes in the HR readings because the magnetic field messes with the transmission of data from strap to watch. So perhaps you ran under a power transmission line, over an underground power cable, past a transformer, under or near an electrical train track, past a building with a large auxiliary generator, etc. etc.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Imminent Catastrophe

The HRM isn't a medical device.
                Hate to repeat myself but, really, it's just a training device, it's not an EKG. If you're worried, take your pulse like SRL said.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

325th place or bust!

There you go. Here's my tip whenever my heartrate monitor goes shithouse: 1. Stop 2. Place hand on heart or fingers on wrist. 3. Look at watch. 4. Count. I'm betting instrumentation error.
                  +1 A couple of months ago on a long run my HRM said something like 250! I did a double take and was wondering if it was physically possible for my heart to get that high. So I did pause and check just to make sure... A minute later the watch read a normal rate and I haven't seen that since.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My HR monitor spikes whenever I run past a grocery store that has a cart-stopping field around their parking lot.
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Old Running Guy!

If a car goes past you it can cause the HRM to spike, also same thing if it isn't wet enough between the electrode and your skin. It is definitely the instrument malfunctioning, not you having a heart attack!

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
                      Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

Beginner all over again

Happens all the time. The HRM isn't a medical device.
                        I've only had mine for about a month, but it malfunctioned on the HRM for the first time this weekend .....at my first 5K..... Tongue Mine was reading low like 35 then 60 just arbitrary readouts, or blank. Confused