New iPod Nano (Read 1413 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

If you happen to have the newest iPod Nano with the built-in FM radio, I'd like to know if you get good battery life while using the radio.

Why I'm asking - I have an older generation in which I have to plug in a radio tuner. It drains the battery so quickly that I can't rely on it for long runs of over 2 hours.

Thanks in advance!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Are we there yet?

unrelated .. i recently got the ipod 2gb shuffle.. small, compact, ideal
      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have an old shuffle, too. However, really like listening to NPR on my runs. While I get the podcasts, it is nice to listen live, too.

TRUST THE PROCESS

tomatolover

had no idea the new Ipod had radio!  I'm an NPR junkie who typically takes both my nano with stored npr podcasts along with my radio for live news...one more thing for the wishlist.
          Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

had no idea the new Ipod had radio!  I'm an NPR junkie who typically takes both my nano with stored npr podcasts along with my radio for live news...one more thing for the wishlist.

Me neither! I had heard it did video and wanted more information and found out about the radio. I was more excited about the radio by far.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I have an old shuffle, too. However, really like listening to NPR on my runs. While I get the podcasts, it is nice to listen live, too.

My original shuffle just died on me last weekend so I'll be looking at a new one from Santa.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

And just for a little extra fun...you can pause the live radio for up to 15 minutes.
                Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My long runs are on Saturdays, and on Saturdays our local NPR stations play 3 live hours of the shows I get on podcast. Of course I'd listen to them live but my plug-in radio kills my iPod battery after a little over 2 hours. This new iPod is looking better and better. However, as my current unit isn't broken or anything, it would suck to get it and find out that the battery life of it when running the radio is crummy too. So, still looking for info.

MTA: Just feels stupid to be listening to weeks old podcasts when the live thing is on at the exact time I want/need it.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Crash

I just picked up the new 5th generation Nano a few weeks ago, and it's great. Video is good, radio is awesome, no complaints at all. Battery life is good too.

Stay away from the new shuffle with the on-wire controls. Short circuits with a drop of sweat running down the wire into the control unit. Googling this device+running will return a lot of fellow runners having the same problem.    

-Chris

http://www.runningafterdaylight.com

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Thanks. Just got the new Nano this last weekend. Like it so far but real test comes on long run on Saturday when I want to listen to the radio.

I already have an old shuffle, so getting a new one was out of the question - especially since they need to use the apple headphones only (if I understood right) - and now knowing they can't even handle being used in the real world.

TRUST THE PROCESS

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't have the new Nano, but I'm gonna guess that the battery drain will be far less on the new device with the integrated tuner, versus an add-on.  Any time you add a peripheral, it's a potential battery hog.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I definitely knew it would be better to have the internal radio - but wasn't sure if it would still be a bigger than usual battery drain or how the quality would be of sound. Have to say I'm pleased with it. Love my new Nano.

TRUST THE PROCESS

sluggo

John

So, how did the long run go today?

My old, really old nano died and I am pretty sure that running sweat was the final straw.

Do you do something to protest your nano from moisture? Stick it in a small plastic ziplock or something?

Thanks

John
                            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Elly.

I use a baggy all the time.  I bought an exterior case so it can hang on my pants but if it's very hot (sweat) or rainy, I put it in a baggy with slit cut in the baggy. 

I wear mine on my back, on lock, and music long enough so that I never have to touch the IPod until the run is over.  Wearing it on the back prevents me from catching the wire with my hand and screwing everything up. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Battery worked great on long run. Had over 3 hours on the radio and battery was maybe down a quarter or so. Also got great reception and very pleased.

I also use the old baggie trick. A snack sized baggie works great. Put the iPod on lock, as Elly1 says, and you can leave it alone the entire time.

TRUST THE PROCESS