What do your 70 mpw look like? (Read 259 times)

I ran a 70 mile week several years ago.  Three weeks before a marathon, which was a mistake.

I was feeling particularly energetic last year during a week of vacation, and managed to run 75 miles.  Ran seven days, with one double.  Then had to run less than 40 MPW for the next three weeks to recover.

That's exactly twice in over ten years that I was able to run over 70 miles in one week.

From the Internet.

My log is public, I've done a few so far - I'm not at the point where this is my normal base yet, but someday! I'm not all that fast so it's a ton of time on feet.

I also need my one rest day. Typically, I do 1 double (easy miles, split something like 7/4, 7/5, 8/4), 1 midweek MLR, 1 weekend LR, 1 longish workout or hills, plus 2 more roughly hour-long easy runs (little over an hour lately to get the miles in, because my legs are so dang tired). It's way easier to get there on the weeks that I have longer MLR and LRs scheduled - it's a piece of cake when I have a midweek 15 and a weekend 20, tougher on weeks like this past one where I was slated for 12 MLR/16 LR and had to run double digits almost every day to get there.

great responses everyone! i just had a 60+ mile week with 8/12.5/8/8/14.6//11. I sure do love my off days and running on a 6 day cycle. Sounds like I might have to throw a double in there on weeks I'm not running a true 16+ LR

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Been awhile, doubles rarely and no off days.

Streaks.

Always during a marathon buildup.

Base usually around 50 miles per week.

I was convinced I needed 80 miles a week to get that marathon PR. Doubles would be the only way to get to that point for me.

Get off my porch

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lane's response was pretty funny Smile

Mine are mostly singles, but doubling opportunistically--that is, when there is another group run available that I can join.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cyberic

I've done both. To me it depends on my life schedule. Right now I'm run commuting to work a few times a week so I'll run doubles even for a 55 mile week, so yes a 70 mile week will include doubles. There was a time when I would never run doubles, and I still ran a couple of 70 mpw, but on 7 days a week.

I find it easier when running doubles, though

Speed plays into it as 60 mpw would take the same amount of time as 70 mpw used to consume. It's been a couple years, but 65-70 mpw was the top end of singling at 7 days/wk.  Beyond 70, I'd start doubling on easy days. 70 looked something like this:

M: 6 easy

T: 8 with 20-30 tempo

W: 13-15

T: 6 easy

F: 8 with hills or speed...usually hills Smile

S: 6 easy

S: 18-20

Charles G

April 1986

M-15

T-5

W-9

Th-9

Fri-7.5

Sat-6.6 5K Time Trial 18.56.9

Sun- 20

October 1986

M-8

T-9

W-9

T-9

Fri-8

Sat-5.5 3K-12:24 3 laps on dirt track at UVM

Sun-21.5

When I was training for a Marathon last year my 70 Mile week generally consisted of many doubles.  When I did not do doubles it typically would look like this:

Sunday: 20 miles

Monday: 10 miles

Tuesday: 5 miles

Wednesday: 10 miles

Thursday: 5 miles

Friday: 10 miles

Saturday: 10 miles

Don't let injuries ruin your career!