What is your cadence on your long runs? (Read 1019 times)

Why is it sideways?

I am an elite in training, so I copy what the elite do.
    So, why do you run all of your runs at exactly 180 strides per minute? Modified to add: I shouldn't be so snarky. I should have said that in my experience, elite runners worry very little about stride rate.
    evtish

Big grin Does anyone know the elite long run average cadence? Assume 120s faster than their 5k pace. Thought Daniels said to do all of them at about the same rate. How much do you slow it down? Cheers

The Greatest of All Time

It wouldn't have been a true cadence thread without a post from Scout. Do you people really count this stuff? Jeez.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Scout7

It wouldn't have been a true cadence thread without a post from Scout. Do you people really count this stuff? Jeez.
          I count the number of times these threads come up. I think this one makes it 173. Only seven more to hit the sweet spot.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Big grinoes anyone know the elite long run average cadence? Assume 120s faster than their 5k pace. Thought Daniels said to do all of them at about the same rate. How much do you slow it down?
            I don't know what the 120s means. Daniels originally was talking about elite runners at race pace. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/218321fbbf4b4ac5a31c3de8026f882f#focus

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

I count the number of times these threads come up. I think this one makes it 173. Only seven more to hit the sweet spot.
              Big grin Thanks for coming out to knock that one down. You're so easy to bait. Big grin
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Scout7

Big grin Thanks for coming out to knock that one down. You're so easy to bait. Big grin
                Globule's mom is even easier. Piece of food left out, she comes sniffing around like a hungry dog.
                  Maggie's Farm, Bob Dylan. 180 bpm. tune in, turn on, count out.
                  RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I have never thought to adjust my cadence, as that comes naturally, but rather I should work on my stride length. Also, having a lighter footfall, i.e. not being a heel smashing stomper, makes it easier to have a higher cadence. Stats come from my footpod: 9 miler this morning: ~176 steps per minute, which is about average for a training run between 7:20 and 8:00mpm. 15 miler over the weekend: maybe 1 step slower but I was tired. Last race (May): 10 miler at ~190 steps per minute running in the mid 6:20s. Last 5k (May): 192 to 194 steps per minute running in the 5:50s. Last HM (Feb): ~184 steps per minute with a shorter stride for 6:40s. This tells me that my stride needs to be longer to run faster as I don't fancy running at 200 steps per minute...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Right on Hereford...

My naturalI can't train like the elites do because I would stay injured all the time if I tried, although I could do 180, but why? Not all elites do that anyway - that's just an average reported cadence for them.
                      True, you can't train exactly like the elites. Running 120 miles per week and tempo runs at 4:40 per mile pace, for example, is just not possible for most of us. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to emulate the elites in some ways, at least. You implied that you would stay injured all the time if you tried to run 180 steps per minute. However, those who run with a faster stride rate are less susceptible to injuries, not more. There are some very good reasons to run with a faster stride rate, and this applies whether you are a taller runner, shorter runner, slower or faster runner. Do some google searches to learn more. 180 may not be the "magic number", but I think you'll find that it is close enough. If you are running at 160 steps per minute, I would feel confident saying your stride rate is too slow.