My achy breaky calves (Read 1637 times)

Ok, so ever since my last race I"ve been running on sore calves. It's been more than a week since my 10k, so wtf? Today they were just as sore after taking yesterday off. THe last mile felt ok, but I still feel tired and stuff when I'm running. So maybe I ran too much last week after both races, but what can I do about my sore calves? Stretch more? Last week on my 8 miler I felt fine, even held a good pace, and since then my pace gotten worse and I'm sore. Do I need to cut back a bit? THanks,

Bugs

Yes you need to cut back and think recovery. I don't think you gave yourself enough recovery last week. Considering you just ran a race you had a very busy last week. You would probably have a better recovery with some 30 minute easy recovery runs, closer to a 10:20 pace. I personally have stopped worrying about running too slow on easy runs, I don't think it matters. The important part is recovery for the run where the pace does matter. The 30 minute easy recovery runs/jogs will probably do you more good than a day off. I think you would benifit from reading this thread.

Bugs

Thanks Bugs, I think you're right. Too eager to get my mileage back up Roll eyes Scary connection with sore calves and achilles problems though! I think I"ll back off for a bit. Maybe nix my long run this week...
        mikeymike

Agree with Bugs. And don't stretch more--just rest, run slowly. I had to bail out on my first post-marathon run about 2 weeks ago. I got 500 yards in and my calves were screaming and I just turned around and walked home.

Runners run

My calves were chronically sore/tight. Then last year I pulled my calf. Really set me back, and took a long time to heal. Once it was healed, it was just like before. It felt a little tight, and would be sore for days after my long runs, but nothing sharp, just general soreness. I stretch well after my runs, and use 'the stick' to self massage a couple times a week. Didn't really affect me much. Well, I finally decided to get a sports massage on my calves. I was incredibly skeptical. I thought it was silly, but figured it was a $30 gamble I could manage to take. I can't state strongly enough what a difference a sports massage made for my calves. It was some serious pain during the first massage, and I was sore the next two days or so, but within 24 hours I would say I had more flexibility, and less soreness after my runs. I went back for a second session, but it didn't really seem to amount to much. But that first session was an incredible boon to me. Anyway, I'm with the others, take a nice easy week, both mileage and pace wise. If that doesn't work out, a sport massage might be something else you could take a look at. Either way, don't push your luck, a pulled calve completely sucks, and takes forever to heal.
              Mikey, I was tempted to walk yesterday and probably wouldv'e been better off doing so. Damn my obsessiveness with those stupid bars. Roll eyes criss, a pulled calf sounds really crappy. But the massage idea sounds really heavenly. If I had 30 bucks I totally would get a massage, although I'd go for the full body not just the calves Tongue I shall cut my mileage for this week or else risk pulling something which would really not be cool. Thanks guys

Bugs

skeet, When I looked at your log it almost looked like certain months of mine as I have learned the hard way about not running enough VERY EASY miles. It was Nobby who has been showing me the errors of my ways. I now try to run 2-3 HARD workouts and the rest VERY easy. The stick is OK but I think it doesn't get deep enough. I've had very good luck with a treatment called graston for all my running injuries. Graston is effetively a deep massage for healing soft tissue injuries that my sports chiropractor does. However I've switched to a do it yourself approach and the calfs are very easy to do. I rub oil (I like arnica oil but even lotion will do) and gently glide while applying pressure using the back of a butter knife along my achilies and calf. This is a VERY deep massage, so I wouldn't glide over an area more than 2-3 times. If you see little red dots, it is time to stop. Like the stick, you can get some bruises. If you have lesions in our fascia you will immediatly feel the release and it will feel wonderful. It may be a little more sore the next day, that's normal. My doc always let me run on it after treatment but I'd feel better if you waited a day if it is sore, or do the 30 minute jog. I told my chiropractor about my "butter knife treatment", and he gave me the OK to do it. He said, "Graston is better, he has training, better tools, but I can do it in a pinch." Butter knife is more effective than the stick, but don't over do it.

Bugs

and gently glide while applying pressure using the back of a butter knife along my achilies and calf. This is a VERY deep massage, so I wouldn't glide over an area more than 2-3 times. If you see little red dots, it is time to stop.
                  Bugs, I am a little confused over how hou apply the butter knife treatement... Is the knife perpendicular to your leg, so that you are going across the whole calf as you move down the leg? Is the back of the butter knife is the "handle" or the opposite side of the blade? Thanks
                  Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Bugs

Bugs, I am a little confused over how hou apply the butter knife treatement... Is the knife perpendicular to your leg, so that you are going across the whole calf as you move down the leg? Is the back of the butter knife is the "handle" or the opposite side of the blade? Thanks
                    I start at my ankle and move into the calf. I hold onto the handle and rub the non-serrated part of knife against my skin else you would cut yourself. The inventor of graston originally use kitchen tools to heal his own injuries. He created special tools that are shaped better. With the graston tools the doc also feels a vibration when going over a lession or knot. However the calf and achilles is easy to treat yourself. I'll take a picture tonight and post.

Bugs

I start at my ankle and move into the calf. I hold onto the handle and rub the non-serrated part of knife against my skin else you would cut yourself. The inventor of graston originally use kitchen tools to heal his own injuries. He created special tools that are shaped better. With the graston tools the doc also feels a vibration when going over a lession or knot. However the calf and achilles is easy to treat yourself. I'll take a picture tonight and post.
                      also... What state is the calf in, toes toward knee, away, or neutral? Is your leg bearing weight while doing it? You assert a fair amount of pressure, right? Thanks, SLosh
                      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                        Hey thanks bugs. I tried to slow my run down today, felt a lot better at the end. Also did the butter knife thing. Felt pretty good! I didn't get any red spots or anything, so either that's good or I"m not doing it right lol. U gonna post a pic tonight? Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

OK well, the Subject line just reminded me of the "cheesiest songs" thread.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Bugs

Hey thanks bugs. I tried to slow my run down today, felt a lot better at the end. Also did the butter knife thing. Felt pretty good! I didn't get any red spots or anything, so either that's good or I"m not doing it right lol. U gonna post a pic tonight? Smile
                            Red dots are not a requirement. Smile I bruise easy and if you get them it just means it is time to stop and you will probably bruise the next day. My doc may even scrape 5-6 times, and harder if there is crap to break-up. I just don't want to be responsible for you hurting, even massage can be overdone. In these pictures I just used lotion, but the most effective I have found is Arnica Oil. I've had so much luck with graston treatment for achilles pain, shin splints to cranky hamstring. My insurance covers all but $6 so I try to let doc do it but certain areas are not hard to treat this way.

Bugs