uneven road surface & groin pull (Read 632 times)

I've started running with a group on Tuesday nights and it's pitch black outside with few street lights. We are clad in reflective wear but in order to further assure against being picked off by cars on the street, I find myself kind of hugging the shoulder that slopes slightly off the road (does that make sense?). I think the uneven road surface is causing this groin pull I've developed on my left side. Aside from running on the other side of the road and developing a matching groin pull on my right side... is there anything to be done to further prevent this kind of injury? Undecided

Ha. Your profile picture cracks me up. One of my regular routes is half asphalt, half gravel packed in asphalt. Kind of a nasty road, but it's right by our house. I started noticing a hip/groin strain when I began running that road at night for the same reasons you mentioned. Even though I wear reflective wear to be seen, I tend to run all the way at the edge of the road in the dark, whereas during the day I'd run where it wasn't so uneven. I've been bothered a lot by this injury lately, and it's been sidelining me, which sucks. A short run in the cold last week really did me in (not sure if the cold had anything more to do with it than the uneven surface, but the hip was really bad afterwards) so I don't really have any help here, but I'm going to recover a bit by running slow and easy on the treadmill. If I don't, I'm afraid my hip/groin issue will continue to get worse. I dread the TM, but it's better than an injury.
      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
        Nothing to see here, folks... I should have had a V8 - I'll move this post to health forum! sorry.