Garmin 305 foot pod (Read 2867 times)

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

I'm about to stimulate the economy by purchasing a Garmin 305. I'd also like the footpod but I've seen two different models--one kind of long and skinny and one more square like. Which foot pod should I buy? I've seen the longer skinnier one priced from 35 to 99 bucks--any idea about the huge difference in price? Just curious. Thanks!
    Jennifer

an amazing likeness

No idead on why the pricing spread. One of the foot pods (the long one, I think) works with more than the Forerunner 305, and the smaller one is specific to the Forerunner 305 and wont work with things like the Garmin Edge 305. I do have a few Forerunners, but don't own either foot pod, so take this with a healthy dose of caution, I could be completely wrong.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The only difference between the two is that the smaller one is the newest generation version. It's listed under the 305 accessory list on Garmn's site, so it should work well. The older, boxier version has gotten a little scarce, but you can find it cheaper than the new one if you do a little looking. Functionally, there should be no difference between the two, only a difference in size. The footpod provides cadence data (steps per minute), and when indoors, gives you all the distance/speed info when you can't a GPS signal. You can, of course, use it on a treadmill. But the real bonus is if you ever go on an indoor jogging track. Counting 12 laps to a mile is a pain once son start running any distance. My footpod saves me the hassle and allows me to just run when I'm indoors at the rec center.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'm about to stimulate the economy by purchasing a Garmin 305. I'd also like the footpod but I've seen two different models--one kind of long and skinny and one more square like. Which foot pod should I buy? I've seen the longer skinnier one priced from 35 to 99 bucks--any idea about the huge difference in price? Just curious. Thanks!
          Why do you want a footpod? You can run outside in Richardson, TX. BTW, what school do you teach at? I graduated from JJ Pearce a few years ago (maybe 30). Sam
          Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

Why do you want a footpod? You can run outside in Richardson, TX. BTW, what school do you teach at? I graduated from JJ Pearce a few years ago (maybe 30). Sam
            I'm inside, on the treadmill, during the week because my husband sometimes works late and I can't always leave my daughter alone (she's autistic.) I want the foot pod because my treadmill SUCKS when it comes to distance and time measurement. I live right down the street from JJ Pearce--my daughter goes to North Jr. High. I teach at Northlake Elementary (right down the street from Lake Highlands HS), 6th grade Language Arts. My husband graduated from LHHS in '81. Thanks all--I thought that was the case, looking at the Garmin website, but I wanted to be sure before I plunked down a bunch of cash. ~Jennifer
            Jennifer
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I want the foot pod because my treadmill SUCKS when it comes to distance and time measurement.
              If you get a foot pod, be sure to calibrate to a known distance -- the built-in routine on the Garmin calls for 800m on a track. Otherwise, your foot pod will SUCK when it comes to distance measurement.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I read the thread title as "Gamin 305 pot food." Tongue Carry on with your regularly scheduled discussion.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

If you get a foot pod, be sure to calibrate to a known distance -- the built-in routine on the Garmin calls for 800m on a track. Otherwise, your foot pod will SUCK when it comes to distance measurement.
                  Okay Jeff- I have no idea what that means so when it arrives next week, I'll check in with you to figure it out. Thanks! P.S. Love your Steve Allen quote....so true!
                  Jennifer

This is why I run

I get mixed results from my footpod. At the gym treadmill it starts out fine and then about 2 miles into my run I look at the watch and it tells me Ive run 10 miles. Gotta love it when I load that one on my training log. 40 mintues, 15.5 miles. I wish.... Big grin At home, it seems to track just fine. I've never calibrated it on a track though. Now that the weather is warming up, I have to make sure I do that.. FYI, I picked up the older model footpod on ebay for pretty cheap. Doesn't seem to hinder the step considering how large it is.
                    Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!

Menace to Sobriety

Don't you get time and distance from the treadmill? By all means, stimulate the economy, but I'm trying to understand why anyone needs a footpod, Garmin or Nike.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Don't you get time and distance from the treadmill? By all means, stimulate the economy, but I'm trying to understand why anyone needs a footpod, Garmin or Nike.
                        But the real bonus is if you ever go on an indoor jogging track. Counting 12 laps to a mile is a pain once you start running any distance. My footpod saves me the hassle and allows me to just run when I'm indoors at the rec center.