Average Heart Rate (Read 126 times)

HerdFan2000

Hello.  41 year old guy. I've been running pretty consistently for 4 years.  20-25 miles per week.  I would say my best 10K is 47:30.  My resting heart rate is around 55-60 however when I run lets say 6 miles, my average heart rate is 175-180 with a pace of 830 per mile.  According to the intensitve zones, I'm way up there for a average run.  Any thoughts?  is this too high?

While your Resting HR and the average HR while running is a bit on the high side, everybody is unique and you just may have higher MAX HR as well.  Observe your max heart rate in a race, maybe just before the end of a 5k or 10K which would likely be within a few beats of you Max.  Then calculate your HR zones based on the Heart Rate Reserve which is the difference between the max and resting HR.

HerdFan2000

Thank you.  I'm just trying not to exercise in the 95% intensity zone every time I run.

Marky_Mark_17

I agree with Happyfeet. People have wide variation in resting HR, average HR and Max HR, and weather conditions and terrain can have a big impact too. Try and identify what your max heart rate is (5k race is a great idea) and work out your training zones off that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

chuckstone

I would add one thing. Check the accuracy of your heart rate monitor.  I get some unreasonable numbers, especially at the beginning of a run.  Loose fitting band or strap, static from clothing, etc can make a difference in accuracy.

If harder runs (or parts of a run) give higher numbers than easier efforts, that is as it should be.  Even check your pulse to compare to the reading from the monitor.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Like others have said, there are wide differences in heart rate ranges and the age-based estimates (which cardio gear goes by) are very often not accurate. My wife has a low 30s resting and mine is mid 40s. When we are running together, my heart rate is usually a good 20 beats higher than hers. But I can still beat her in a race (but not by much). What does that mean? Nothing. 

Monitor your breathing is the better way to go. If you pay attention to it, you can feel/hear the point where you begin entering threshold training zones. Breathing rate kicks up noticeably and conversation becomes difficult. Most of your running should be below that level or at a pace where you can carry on a conversation. If you can't carry on a conversation comfortably, then you are entering a higher stress load and/or threshold pace which should only account for one or two workouts a week.

Most people run too fast too soon resulting in injury. The cardio system adapts much faster than bone, muscle, and ligaments which gets people into trouble. Slow it down and be comfortable for most runs. If you want to work on speed, keep that to just one per week unless you run every day. If so, you may be able to have two faster runs per week (but the risk of injury goes up).

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Do you know your max heart rate?

ran a 1 mile time trial? or really kicked at the end of a 5k?

regardless IMO it sounds as if your basic easy long run heart rate is probably too intense/high.

180-Age = target heart rate for aerobic runs, I like, so that would suggest you would want to target about a 140bpm heart rate.

or was that 175-180 your average 10k race heart rate??

Also if running outside in heat...that heart rate may be high because of that too.

good luck, keep us posted.

300m- 37 sec.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd say you're running your 6 mile runs too hard. It's easy to do especially when you're running 25 miles a week. 175-180 is damn near my maximum race heart rate and I'm 5 years younger than you. When you run on your usual 6 miles could you talk to someone next to you for that whole 6 miles, or would it just be a word, hard breathing, another few words, really hard breathing, etc?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Was thinking about this topic recently as my heart rate is, based on the classic calculator, way too high and/or my HRM is WAY off.

I'm 48.  My Fitbits (Charge HR2 and Ionic) regularly have me around 55 bpm for resting heart rate.  My HR though when exercising is way too high based on what's being recorded and the classic calculator.

For example, I can run an 8:30 mile without breathing heavily...could carry on full conversation at that pace, but my HR is usually showing an average of around 168-170 bpm.  I ran a 1:37 half marathon in April (~7:20 average mile) and my HR average was 174. I'm a consistent 20 minute 5k racer (mid-high 19's on a good day). I think I have to run at like a 9:30 pace or slower to have a HR lower than 160.

The HR calculations are probably as useful as BMI calculations...good reference but I wouldn't hang my hat on either.  I'm running NYC marathon this November and I scheduled my annual physical for later this month.  I have family history of cardiac issues so getting to the doctor for regular check ups including an EKG is more important to me for heart health.

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I'm 66 and am rebuilding my running base after a "year off" to deal with foot issues and job requirements.

I use a Garmin Fenix 5X to track HR.  Resting HR is averaging around 57 bpm.  At my peak training a couple of years ago, values in the 40's were common.

Maximum HR (ever) that was recorded by my chest strap HRM was 199 bpm at the end of a marathon where I was picking up the pace each mile in the last 3 miles.  I was sprinting the last 200 yards to catch and overtake a couple of "targets."  That was 4 years ago.  My average HR during what I consider easy runs is about 142 bpm.  During slightly more intense runs, more like 152 (about 11:00/mile including some hills).

It's been about three months since I did one of the 30-minute assessment runs.  Run with a chest-strap monitor rather than a wrist based monitor (I can choose either and I find, on average, that the two are usually quite close).  Since it was early in my rebuilding process, I ran at a pace I could sustain for the 30-minute duration.  My average pace was 10:08/mile (Split pace was 10:05/mile on mile 1 and average HR of 154 bpm, 10:15/mile on mile 2 and average HR of 160 bpm, and 10:04/mile for the last 9 minutes, 40 seconds of the test).  My average HR for the 30 minute run was 164 bpm (peaked at 180 bpm at the end of the run) and showed a smooth and gradual climb as I continued the run.  The program also evaluates the HR data for the LTHR (estimated at 169 bpm) which is quite close to the value that Garmin estimates using it's own algorithms.

Granted, I'm a little older and about 20 pounds heavier than my peak capabilities at running this test just three years ago at age 63.  Running the same test then, my pace average pace was 7:25/mile.  I obviously ran further in 30 minutes (4.05 miles) and my splits were 7:17, 7:19, 7:39, and 7:29 per mile for the first four miles.  If you do the math, you'll find that the pace during the last 16 seconds of the run  averaged 5:20/mile (I was flying at the end).  Average HR for each mile was 167, 172, 174, and 176, respectively.  Maximum HR during that run was 190 bpm with a 30-minute average of 176 bpm.  The LTHR value was higher than "typical" (at 180 bpm) for that run.  Most of the time it has been very close to 170 bpm.

As others have noted, each person is different.  Fortunately, I have HR data for nearly all my runs since 2013 and have developed a sense of what is normal (for me).

YMMV!

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335