2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

DW -- winning your half of the whole thing has got to be fun; feel good. Congratulations.

OMR -- so happy for you. Keep it going.

CK -- nice catch!

Ilana -- we lived with wildfires when we lived in CA. Pretty terrible, and, of couse, things are going to get worse.

Veggies -- I'm all in for fish and eggs, and feel lucky. Veggies are, well, just veggie. I heard a cooking podcast where the owner of a super expensive all vegetable restaurant on the east coast (pretty famous) spent a huge amount of timing trying to justify the crazy prices (the labor required to cook a carrot three different ways before you serve it.) Sure.

Smax -- I don't think you have a budding career as a travel writer.

Dad -- nice month and YTD.

Brew -- sounds pretty serious. How did it go?

McB -- did you lose any toenails?

rlk -- glad you are having fun again. What else is there?

Ace, Oregon, AB, SC, PJ -- hey all!

Helping children move; in a UHaul - downtown Chicago to Hyde Park dorm to apartment to different Hyde Park apartment to get dresser/nightstand to Wrigleyville to get bed to Ikea to get sofa and back to Hyde Park. Sounds like a lot of fun to me, with lots of picking up of heavy items.

Me -- recovery week here, and trying to stay healthy and not hurt anything.

2@9:55

2@9:11

4@9:19

6.5@8:25

6.5@8:17

8@8:54

8@8:36

May 232

YTD 986

Total 23,070

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

Baltimore has multiple vegan soul food places.  BBQ ribs, drumsticks, crab cakes.  Not sure the ribs tasted quite like the real thing, but I liked them regardless.

7 easy this morning.  Cooler than expected.  28 for the week.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

DW: WAY TO GO on the WIN!! That's awesome. Sounds like a solid tune up.

"Smax -- I don't think you have a budding career as a travel writer."

HAHAHAHA! At least not if you're wanting people to travel to where you've been.

OMR: making progress! How's the knee feeling?

Tennis: I've enjoyed watching the French Open.  All their starting, sprinting, and stopping would make me crazy sore... and they do it for 2-3 hours...or more sometimes!

Ilana: stay safe!

Had a nice run this morning. 12 miles on gravel roads. The first 6 (on the upper ridge) were perfect. The last 6 (bottom ridge by the river) were frustrating. I was keeping a low HR with decent pace but then started having to fight off horse flies (THEY BITE!). My HR went up by about 15 BPM doing this. I literally ran with a giant stick, slapping my self on the back to keep them from biting me. I looked like some sore of running masochist (is that redundant?).  I also ran into a girl (twice) who was getting lost. Turns out she moved here 24 hours ago. I helped her out and we ran for about a mile or so together.

Anyways, here's my week

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon May 28 

8:10 

73 and light rain was heavenly 

strava 

Tue May 29 

8:07 

7 easy. Last 0.3 was strides & Jog 

strava 

Thu May 31 

8:18 

Soggy, easy 6 

strava 

Fri Jun 01 

7:50 

7 easy 

strava 

Sat Jun 02 

16:25 

Family 5k! 

strava 

Sun Jun 03 

8:31 

12 easy other than swatting biting flies for 6 miles 

strava 
        Summary:

8:51

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

I

Ran 19:17 for 5K this am, which got me the female win.  Pretty happy with it as a tune-up.  Splits were 6:23/6:14/6:07/0:33, with mile marker 3 being a bit long.  As you can see, I went for a hard negative split (the course is basically flat and there was little wind) since it was really warm and humid.

3 warm-up and 3 cool-down made 9 for the day, and I squeezed in some recovery swimming.

Wow. Hearty Congrats. This is just awesome

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome Week Ace

Anyways, here's my week

Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon May 28 

8:10 

73 and light rain was heavenly 

strava 

Tue May 29 

8:07 

7 easy. Last 0.3 was strides & Jog 

strava 

Thu May 31 

8:18 

Soggy, easy 6 

strava 

Fri Jun 01 

7:50 

7 easy 

strava 

Sat Jun 02 

16:25 

Family 5k! 

strava 

Sun Jun 03 

8:31 

12 easy other than swatting biting flies for 6 miles 

strava 
            Arvind Balaraman

Me -- recovery week here, and trying to stay healthy and not hurt anything.

2@9:55

2@9:11

4@9:19

6.5@8:25

6.5@8:17

8@8:54

8@8:36

May 232

YTD 986

Total 23,070

Nice week and good mileage for the year.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Had a nice run this morning. 12 miles on gravel roads. The first 6 (on the upper ridge) were perfect. The last 6 (bottom ridge by the river) were frustrating. I was keeping a low HR with decent pace but then started having to fight off horse flies (THEY BITE!). My HR went up by about 15 BPM doing this. I literally ran with a giant stick, slapping my self on the back to keep them from biting me. I looked like some sore of running masochist (is that redundant?). 

despise horseflies. They were the bane of my existence when I was a kid.  Those and the greenhead flies that also bite.  When I rode horses, I feared them not just from concerns that they'd bite me, but from the chaos that resulted when one landed on a horse and the horse started bucking and kicking to get it off.

Vegetarian food.  There are two variants: those that try to imitate meat and even fool you into thinking you're eating meat; and those that just embrace the difference.  Having been raised in the first variant of vegetarianism, I sense that the second is probably better.

(we had 1980s  soy sausages, soy hamburgers, soy scallops....it was awful).

Hi to all of y'all: ArvindFBPJIlana.

My week:

46 miles running plus 17 "miles" pool-running.
                M: DIY yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                T: 3 mile warm-up, track workout of 400/800/1200/1200/800/400 in 94/3:03/4:33/4:25/2:52/80.  3.5 mile cooldown plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                W: 8 miles very easy (9:13) plus drills, strides, DIY yoga.
                Th: Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, 8 "miles" pool-running.
                F: 4 miles very easy (9:32) plus DIY yoga.

Sa: 3 mile warm-up, 5K race in 19:17, 3 mile cooldown.  Also recovery swimming.
                Su: 14 progressive, split as first 5 averaging 8:45, next 5 averaging 7:45, last 4 averaging 7:04.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DkW ~ Congrats on the win.

Ilana ~ We have plenty of rain; we'll loan you some ...

14.5 today in a downpour. Crossed ankle-deep water about a half-dozen times; once knee deep (really) and once I was in the current from the run (body of water) that the trail (or 'unpaved path' in Ilana terminology) I run (activity) on parallels, since the run (body of water) had overflowed its banks. Felt like an SMax adventure. My feet were slathered in Bag Balm and felt fine.

My week:

M) 14.5 (last week's LR)

Tu) 7.5 w/ strides

W) 7.5

Th) 11 w/ 45 min steady (~7:04) & Strength

F) ElliptiGo 45' & Recovery yoga

Sa) 11 w/ 24x100m hard

Su) 14.5

Total: 66

Strict WTF adherent

Norway: In 1983 I arrived in Bergen one Friday evening with my bike and another guy I met on the train from Oslo.  He decided to turn around and go back to Oslo with two women we'd met on the train.  I got on my bike and rode around in town looking for a hostel.  After having beer bottles thrown at me several times by drunken Vikings, I rode out of town and spent the night in a tent in a farm field with a (thankfully rare) migraine.  Great times and fond memories.

Funny. Same thing happened to me the last time I was in Norway.

FB - I didn't lose any toenails. But I did lose one a few days before the run, big toe on my left foot. You know how they say nothing new on race day? I also was wearing a new pair of gaiters and a GPS watch that I had used only once before (my Garmin literally melted in its crade the previous weekend).

Sorry I've been absent. After a tough trip home (thanks American Airlines!), I had to plow through a pile of work. And weekend activities took on a life of their own. I almost have a RR completed, but you could just go do R2R2R yourself in the amount of time it would take to complete it. So hello everyone.

Arvind Balaraman

Dont know how I missed the discussion on Vegetarianism.  I have been a vegetarian since birth. Recently trying to cut down on my dairy as well. Never felt the urge for meat 

Vegetarian food.  There are two variants: those that try to imitate meat and even fool you into thinking you're eating meat; and those that just embrace the difference.  Having been raised in the first variant of vegetarianism, I sense that the second is probably better.

(we had 1980s  soy sausages, soy hamburgers, soy scallops....it was awful).

Hi to all of y'all: ArvindFBPJIlana.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Sounds like you had a great time in Norway. I bet you have lots more interesting stories.

Dad - 24x 100 like that sounds really intense. You've got 72 miles on me for the year. I haven't had a good run in the rain like that in a long time, sounds like "fun".

DWave - Nice way to get back in to racing. Nice pacing strategy, as per your usual.

OMR - Nice coming back. How much was outdoors?

FB - Think of moving heavy objects as cross training!

Ace - The mental image of you running down a gravel road self-flagellating is hilarious.

Vegetarian food - It seems to me that this food that tries to emulate meat just misses the point entirely. Why not embrace the differences and what can be done with them rather than trying to copy something one is supposed to be staying away from?

I didn't get to run the 5k, which I'm a bit bummed about. I did notice that a running "acquaintance" did the HM. This is a guy who pulled away from me during the second half of a 15k earlier this year (finished ~30 ahead of me) and who I passed in the last 1/4 mile of my HM (finished 7 sec ahead of him). He ran a PR in 1:25:4x... makes me wonder what the both of us (but mostly I) could have done with better conditions in the April half.

Had a couple days off this week partially due to holiday, partially laziness, though I think the rest was a good thing. I did manage my first run of more than 10.x miles since my half, which was really nice and long overdue. This marks the start of me trying to do all the LRs I can on the flat lake and river trails around here ahead of my November marathon. Everyone I know who has run Chicago after training on the local rolling hills has said that the flatness just destroyed them since they weren't used to it, and I'm going to do all I can to make sure that won't happen to me come November.

Tough run today, doing a critical power test for Stryd. Warm-up, 800m easy, 2,400m all out (but trying to keep even effort), ~30 min walk/jog recovery, 1,200m all out (still looking for even effort). I wound up laying on the track sucking wind after both hard efforts, so I think I did those about right, though they were a little slower than I had thought they would be. I wanted to call it after ~1,600m on the long one and about 1/2 way through the 1,200 but managed to gut it out. My hamstrings felt like bricks for most of the 1,200. It was interesting to compare the Stryd distances to the actual known distances (possibly off by a stride length depending on which foot I first crossed the line with) - it was within .6% of being correct for the 800, 1200, and 2400.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, May 28, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 03, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                        Wed 10.1 8:24 1 rabbit, 1 heron (not Camille), & 1 tandem bike 144 (73%) strava
                        Thu 10.3 8:28 3 rabbits, 3 hawks, & 3 miniature donkeys. I sense a pattern. 146 (74%) strava
                        Fri 10.3 8:26 1 rabbit, 1 squirrel, and all the humidity I could handle 151 (77%) strava
                        Sat 14.1 8:21 Too many MAMILs to count, a few Landrunners, and even goslings are jerks. 151 (77%) strava
                          44.8 8:24      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Arvind Balaraman

Killer week Dad

DkW ~ Congrats on the win.

Ilana ~ We have plenty of rain; we'll loan you some ...

14.5 today in a downpour. Crossed ankle-deep water about a half-dozen times; once knee deep (really) and once I was in the current from the run (body of water) that the trail (or 'unpaved path' in Ilana terminology) I run (activity) on parallels, since the run (body of water) had overflowed its banks. Felt like an SMax adventure. My feet were slathered in Bag Balm and felt fine.

My week:

M) 14.5 (last week's LR)

Tu) 7.5 w/ strides

W) 7.5

Th) 11 w/ 45 min steady (~7:04) & Strength

F) ElliptiGo 45' & Recovery yoga

Sa) 11 w/ 24x100m hard

Su) 14.5

Total: 66

Speed Surplus

Keen - I think the point of vegetarian food that tries to replicate non-vegetarian food is that it can help stave off cravings for the recently converted. I'm skeptical of the stuff myself, but I think there's potential in lab-grown meats and such. I have some ethical concerns about certain types of meat, but I'm fortunate enough to have humanely raised options, including some raised by my own in-laws on their farm!

Also, what were your times for the all-out 2400 and 1200?

Dad - That sounds...wet.

Ilana - Fair enough. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll hit in the ballpark of my goal, but there are factors out of my control, like the weather, and nutrition to some extent... I've never been able to eat much past mile 16 or so of a marathon. Hoping I have the right mix of palatable stuff prepared for this time. If I get a cool day and all else goes well, I like my chances just based on the efforts I've done. It's true that I haven't done any 20 milers in the lead-up, but that was intentional. I feel like they've broken me down more than built me up in the past few marathon cycles.

DW - Congrats on the win! I'd like to win a race one of these days. Got a handful of AG wins and runner-ups in the past few years, but I want one without an asterisk.

Forno - Impressive that you have LTD (I assume) mileage tracked like that.

Flies - Hate 'em. I've swallowed more this year than all other years of running combined. Not sure why.

My Week:

Taper in full effect. I've been craving days off. Taking one today...

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                            Tue 7.4 8:27 1:02 Seven and strides 140 (76%) 481 strava
                            Wed 5.0 8:09 0:41 Taperish 138 (75%) 153 strava
                            Thu 5.1 8:12 0:41 Didn't feel like it but did it anyway 141 (77%) 123 strava
                            Fri 5.1 8:09 0:41 5 is the new 7 143 (78%) 152 strava
                            Sat 7.0 8:12 0:57 Pretty hot, and pretty 143 (78%) 257 strava
                            Sun 5.1 8:38 0:43 Better late than never 131 (71%) 129 strava
                              34.7 8:17 4:48     1295

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Quick stop. Finished the relay feeling better than I do for marathons which surprised me. As always, I had a great time and we picked up a new runner who said her team last year was 5 women who all knew each other and she felt like middle school. She had more fun with us. The weird thing about this JD2Q plan is the Sunday run is from the previous week being a workout. He says to do the first workout on Sundays...which seems odd but whatever, start a training plan with a hard workout. I'll come back later and say hi. Technically 59 miles with the 11 from last Sunday but whatever. 56 is the plan this week. workout says its about 15 miles wednesday. It's getting hotter (80F) so I'm going to die.

Oh and I'll be in Seattle Friday. HAD I BEEN SMART....I'd have planned to run the Tunnels Marathon with SomethingClever but I'm dumb...I'm sure my wife and in-laws would love me planning a marathon around a family trip. Suggestions for beer to sample or take home are appreciated.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 5.2 8:26 That time it was a NoMo Run. strava
                              Tue 6.3 8:43 That time I got robbed strava
                              Wed 5.5 8:44 That time Phil was hounding me strava
                              Fri 5.6 7:43 That time starting an ultra at race pace is a bad idea. strava
                              Fri 5.1 8:56 That time the team had to get food. strava
                              Fri 4.0 9:33 That time we were going to have to wait anyways. strava
                              Sat 6.0 8:16 That time my team couldn’t find me. strava
                              Sat 3.3 8:55 That time I ran faster than I had to strava
                              Sat 7.0 7:27 That time hills were my jam. strava
                                48.0 8:27  

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

DW - Congrats on the win! I'd be very happy if I could run a 19:17 5k. Nice week as well.

OMR - Good to see you're working your way back.

Arvind - How is your training going?

fb - Nice week for a recovery week for sure.

Ace - Your easy runs are getting fast! Good to see you are getting back in shape again.

Dad - Nice week! How much rest or recovery did you have between the hard 100m efforts? And 24 of them, that's a lot.

Ilana - Stay safe with the fires nearby.

I hate horse flies and I see them around in Norway in the summer. Have never seen them in the Bay Area though.

I had a good week and ended up at 51.4 miles, a new weekly record for me, and towards the end of the week I finally felt somewhat fresh again. On my Sunday run, 8:10 (5:05) pace was well within my easy range, which I define as HR less than 145. I was also wondering this week how much effect it has for me, positive or negative, to split up my weekend long run. This week I was planning on doing 14-15 miles on Saturday but I came home too late after taking my oldest son to a baseball showcase so I only did 5. Then on Sunday I did 10+ to get to my desired total. Personally I don't think it matters much at this stage, but once I get into the actual training program I obviously will make sure I get the long runs in.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Mon 1.2 10:45 0:13 Afternoon Run 119 (62%) 7 strava
                                Mon 5.3 9:40 0:51 Evening Run 139 (72%) 754 strava
                                Tue 5.8 8:56 0:52 Morning Run 141 (73%) 216 strava
                                Wed 7.5 9:01 1:07 Lunch Reps 139 (72%) 133 strava
                                Wed 2.5 10:03 0:25 Evening Run 120 (63%) 67 strava
                                Thu 7.0 8:32 1:00 Lunch Run 136 (71%) 140 strava
                                Fri 6.2 8:29 0:53 Afternoon Run with some faster miles 138 (72%) 189 strava
                                Sat 5.2 9:25 0:49 Evening Run 124 (65%) 277 strava
                                Sun 10.5 8:13 1:26 Afternoon Run 139 (72%) 232 strava
                                  51.4   7:38     2015  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it