Tyranena Beer Run, Lake Mills, WI (Read 1329 times)

Crazy Train

Has anyone done this run before? I am interested in running the HM and wondered how the course was, as it would be my first HM. I haven't been able to find much online.

Runnin' from the law.

Crazy Train

It looks like the 2006 course was just posted. (website: http://www.tyranena.com/beerrun/website.htm) If anyone has any comments on the run or on running a half marathon in general, that would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

Runnin' from the law.

Hal Higdon has some training plans you may want to check out. I used the last month of his novice half marathon plan.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Best general advice I can provide: Nothing new! Not new underwear, or socks, or shirts, or shorts, or shoes, or hat, or gels, or...... NOTHING. Your first HM is not the time for experimentation, I learned the hard way that tried and true is the only way to go. Curb your enthusiasm! You're naturally going to be pumped, the energy from your fellow runners and spectators is pretty amazing. When the gun goes off, you're going to want to fly. You'll want to keep up with those around you, even if their pace is too fast for you. If you go out steady and strong at YOUR pace, you'll probably pass a lot of those that went out too fast. I don't come to an abrupt stop after finishing. Walking around for a while allows your body to slowly cool down and return to a normal resting state. I survived shoes that were too new for 13.1 miles, and still managed to really enjoy my first HM. It was the Applefest HM in Hollis NH, and the runners and spectators are great. The course was pretty challenging with some nasty hills at about 9 miles, but the scenery was great. Crossing that finish line was the best feeling, I know you're going to absolutely love it. Modified to add: I'm looking forward to those nasty hills on October 6th, because I have a new mantra that is going to help me kick butt! HTFU, HTFU, HTFU.......... Smile

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Did someone say beer?! Big grin Ed's advice sounds great. I was in major pain after my first HM, I think I let my excitement carry me all the way through each and every mile, without thinking much about it. Whoops.

Michelle

Jenny, I've never even heard of this race before and I live in Sussex, WI. The say on the website that the half is run partially on the Glacial Drumlin Trail which is kind of hilly out near Lake Mills. I'm not ready to run it this year, but I'll have to keep the race in mind for '08. I usually run the Trailbreaker HM in late March in Waukesha, so this would be a good race to add for fall.
              Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
              Crazy Train

Thanks everyone for your comments, they are all SO helpful!! I've decided to do the run and give it a shot (and get over my fear of the hills!!). Wink Either way, there's beer at the finish, so it should be great!! I'm thinking of getting one of those tshirts that says "Will Run for Beer" to put on after the run!! Big grin

Runnin' from the law.

Crazy Train

Jim, it's great to hear from another Wisconsinite... I was beginning to wonder if there were any more of us on this website!! Wink I heard of the run from my past visits to the brewery. It's always sounded like fun, but I wasn't into running very much then. As you can see from my prior post, I did sign up for it (today!!), so I'll let you know how it goes.

Runnin' from the law.

I plan on doing this race. I will be running the lakefront marathon in October then if I feel good enough in the weeks after I plan to register for the Beer Run. It seem like it would be a very fun day. I may do it just for the 2 free beer tickets and the T-shirt. I hope its not insanely cold early November.it is so hit or miss on the bad weather in that time frame.