Pace to run half marathon before marathon (Read 48 times)

Nicklynd

I am running a marathon on Dec 3rd and a half marathon on 12th November (3 weeks before). I'm not sure if I should run the half at the pace I plan to run the marathon or if I should run it as quickly as I can. I'm looking for advice, so I welcome all suggestions. Thanks!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Personally I'd run the HM as an all out race.  Anything between 10K and HM 3-4 weeks out is what I like to schedule as a final marathon tune up. But that's a personal preference that has worked for me. No guarantee it will work for others.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I am running a marathon on Dec 3rd and a half marathon on 12th November (3 weeks before). I'm not sure if I should run the half at the pace I plan to run the marathon or if I should run it as quickly as I can. I'm looking for advice, so I welcome all suggestions. Thanks!

How has your training gone?

How many marathons have you run before?

And are the half and full similar conditions (ie. road races or both hilly or both trail)?

Trying to get an idea of your experience level.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Personally I'd run the HM as an all out race.  Anything between 10K and HM 3-4 weeks out is what I like to schedule as a final marathon tune up. But that's a personal preference that has worked for me. No guarantee it will work for others.

HM at all out pace is what I do too about a month before a marathon (9 Marathons so far. MCM this weekend for 10). I'd personally recommend finding a HM with similar course conditions (or harder) if possible. I live in New England so MCM is pretty flat for me so I used a relatively flat half to help simulate the lack of up and down to be expected.

Conventional wisdom is that this can be used to estimate your full marathon time (assuming you trained properly for the full) by doubling your HM time and adding 7 minutes. Various marathon sites and training plans may vary on that calculation and its not perfect, but bottom line is that its a good way to see how your fitness is coming along and adjust your expectations/goal for the full.

Its also a good opportunity to test out the gear and fueling strategies you plan to use for the full.

mellisajow

sas