Relax Boston Standards? (Read 411 times)

joescott

Check out what this guy, "Marathon Man", posted on Facebook.  (Have no idea how this got into my feed, btw).

What are your thoughts on whether the Boston Marathon should relax the qualifying requirements in 2014 to honor the bombing victims and show the world Boston's collective resolve? http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/9251383/should-boston-marathon-lift-qualifying

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

zonykel

Relaxing the standards makes a difference only if they increase the number of entries. Otherwise, you're just making more people eligible for the same number of spots.

joescott

Yes.  For one thing this guy clearly didn't do his research, did he?

And I have no idea why he thinks that relaxing standards somehow honors anybody?  I don't get it at all.  To me at some level this lets the bombers "win" or "accomplish" something by taking something special about the race and making it less so.  This seems like a totally wrong headed and stupid idea to me.

(I was going to refrain from offering my own editorial POV on the matter, but just couldn't contain myself, could I?)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Mysecondnewname

As someone who finally qualified for Boston for the first time last Sunday Smile, I am firmly opposed to the idea.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

^Congratulations!  You must be quite a fast shuffler.

Leave it alone.  Current polls saying 60 %

Relax for 2014 = 30%

take off qualify forever 10%

I voted leave it alone.  Who gives a F#$^ about these stupid terrorists. Boston Marathon is what it is and leave it as it is.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Julia1971

From what I understand, the only purpose of the qualifying times is to limit the field.  So, if they eliminated the standards, what would they replace it with?  The article says let everyone who wants to run the race run it but I don't know that the author has thought this through.  I'm guessing it would be a logistical nightmare for the organizers.  I can't imagine how many runners would want to run let alone non-runners and how long it would take them all to finish the course.  And, if they relaxed the standards as the thread title says, then +1 to what Zonykel pointed out - all you've done is increased the number of people running the race.  There will still be people who want to run that won't be able to.  BAA seems to be a very well run, class act organization.  I imagine they will think of a fitting way to honor the victims, their families, and the city next year.

Leave it alone.

If you can't qualify, go the charity route or bandit.

Another reason to ignore %acebook.

Get off my porch

xhristopher

This is all dumb. If you want to run Boston next year show the race some respect and go bust your ass. Run more, faster, or fundraise. Don't look for a handout.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From what I understand, the only purpose of the qualifying times is to limit the field.

I glad to see someone else who remembers or realizes this is the reason the BAA implemented standards. A secondary reason was to eliminate entrants who were not properly prepared to run a marathon. There was no intent to make Boston an "elite" race.

The BAA's main concern should be how to fairly treat those who were unable to finish because of the bombings.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FSBD

I thought about posting this when I saw it yesterday, but I figured I would know what the consensus would be around here.  I voted no as well.

I think it would lessen the prestige of the race, but the other issue is that a lot of charities rely on the people who fund raise to get into this event.  It would have a huge negative impact on a lot of organizations that do a lot of good.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

L Train

This is all dumb. If you want to run Boston next year show the race some respect and go bust your ass. Run more, faster, or fundraise. Don't look for a handout.

Yep.

Chris Jones is a sports writer who knows very little about running, runners, or the Boston Marathon. He is certainly entitled to wonder whatever he wants, but eliminating the qualifying standards is not even something the BAA is considering.

“In the end, there’s a certain structure we have to this event that will not go away no matter what,” he said. And “the very essence of the Boston Marathon is the qualifying nature of it. It’s going to disappoint a large group of people, but this isn’t just a marathon to sign up for, this is a marathon you have to qualify for, and we’re not going to change that basic premise no matter what.” Link.

But hey, it generated some clicks for ESPN.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

"this isn’t just a marathon to sign up for, this is a marathon you have to qualify for*, and we’re not going to change that basic premise no matter what.” 

*Unless you can raise some money for charity. Then screw tradition.  Feel free to go knock yourself out for six and a half hours.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Hell the charity spots are harder to get than the qualifying spots at Boston.

Runners run