Map Updates?? (Read 63 times)

Hi Eric -

I use the "measure route" feature in resources quite a bit, but I'm having problems with some new roads that have been added to subdivisions around my house. The current maps just stop where the road used to end, but the roads have been extended in several areas. I'm wondering if/how these maps get updated every now and then, or could I somehow do this myself with tools available on RA? Thanks for any help you could give!

GinnyinPA

When I have had that issue, I just clicked the button for "create manual route", then I'd draw in that section, then go back to 'follow roads'.  I have notified Google Maps, which make the base maps for most mapping software, about errors in maps like roads that don't exist, but not about new roads. It took a couple of years for the base maps in my area to change. Many errors are still on the map. (In farm country, dirt roads through fields show as a through road.)

an amazing likeness

Jlynne -- the maps here are google maps, and you can report the map update need to google directly.

Open maps.google.com and zoom in to the area with the issues, then right-click in the area with the missing roads, select "Report a Data Problem" from the right-click menu and fill in the info. You can sign up to get an email when the issue is fixed.

The google help there does say they can take some time to update...

Add or fix information on Google Maps

You can tell us about incorrect business details, wrong road names, or other data errors on the map. If you think something should be removed for legal reasons, submit a legal request.

How long it takes to review edits

Your edits might be reviewed by Google or by other Google Maps users and might take some time to show up on the map.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks Milktruck!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You could also try ArcGIS, Bing, or OSM - they're other options under the Map button. I don't know if they are as up to date as Google, though.