Is this picture running uphill, basically flat, or downhill? (Read 1384 times)

kcam

I was about to guess downhill cuz of the way that jeep or whatever truck that is has his wheels cut.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay. Sorry to hijack. But this is a pet peeve of mine: < rant="" /> Folks, THIS site is RunningAHEAD.com. RunningAHEAD has an awesome great way cool mapping tool in it. You can use it to make wonderful gmaps, just like those seen on other competing websites. So why post links to gmaps produced at other sites on RunningAHEAD? Mapmyrun? Gmap-pedometer? WTF?!? Feel free to use those sites and enjoy the ads they have in the UI. But don't post their maps here. That's like walking into the Palm with a bag from McDonalds. I like you folks. I really do. But come on, show some respect to Eric and all the hard work he has put into this site. < ant="" /> Thanks for humoring me. Carry on.
        So why post links to gmaps produced at other sites on RunningAHEAD?
        Because the map was already there dude. Confused Why are you ranting? Is Motionbased in a different category? Cool

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, motionbased uses GPS tracings applied onto gmaps. RunningAHEAD does not do that. Yet. But it will. Smile (Just looking out for Eric Wink)
          JakeKnight

Interesting original post. I kept looking at it and finally decided it was a downhill followed by an uphill. Guess not.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Trent - the mapmyrun link is directly fom the race website so no one created a route for that post. It is nice if we use Eric's map tools. JDF - you are my hero. I see you at several of the local races and you are strong runner. If you ran the Great Raleigh Road Race last year - I think I started right behind you. Needless to say - you were out of sight be the time we made that first right turn. I only run with a single Bob Ironman stroller and it is all I want to push around here. See you around Raleigh. Kevin
              Don't let the fat fool you .....

Right on Hereford...

Trust me I was way past 45 degrees on that hill! It actually hits something like 70 degrees around mile 1.4!
                JDF, cool pic in your OP. It's definitely an optical illusion. And I have no idea how you run so fast pushing the stroller with two big kids in it! I have a 3-month old and even short, gradual hills feel hard pushing her in the stroller! BUT...since we're on the topic of pet peeves, one of mine is overestimating steepness. Big grin Ok, steepness of streets is typically measured in percent grade. It is calculated as vertical rise divided by horizontal distance. Thus, if a section of street rises 10 feet over a distance of 100 feet, the percent grade is 10%. People often think that a 100% grade would be vertical, but it's not. An angle of 45 degrees would be equivalent to a grade of 100%. Anyone who has been to San Francisco knows how steep some of the streets there can be. In fact, the two steepest streets (Filbert and 22nd St) have a grade of 31.5%. This is so steep that I'm sure the sidewalks on these streets are stairs rather than smooth paving. But what is the actual angle of a street with a grade of 31.5 percent? From trigonometry, a grade of 31.5% has an angle of 17.5 degrees relative to horizontal. Thus, the steepest streets in San Francisco have an angle of 17.5 degrees. I used to do a lot of rock climbing, and I can tell you that there are many rock climbs requiring a rope and safety gear that have an angle of only 45 degrees. And if you fell off of a slope like this, you would most likely die. 70 degrees is, of course, even steeper. In fact, 70 degrees is so steep that in the mountains, a slope of 70 degrees would be considered low avalanche danger because it's too steep for snow to accumulate! Ok, sorry for the geek rant, but it was kind of fun pulling out some high school math there. Big grin
                JakeKnight

People often think that a 100% grade would be vertical, but it's not. An angle of 45 degrees would be equivalent to a grade of 100%.
                  Interesting stuff. I probably would have been one of those people. I did assume a 50% grade meant 45 degrees. This place is so educational.

The Greatest of All Time

Interesting stuff. I probably would have been one of those people. I did assume a 50% grade meant 45 degrees. This place is so educational.
                    This sounds like a Trigonometry problem and I sold my TI-85 after I crawled through college calculus. Sin/Cos/Tan......ewwwwww. Puke!
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      This sounds like a Trigonometry problem and I sold my TI-85 after I crawled through college calculus.
                      Entering 58008 in a calculator and then turning it upside down was the extent of my mathematical acumen.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Prophet!

This sounds like a Trigonometry problem and I sold my TI-85 after I crawled through college calculus. Sin/Cos/Tan......ewwwwww. Puke!
                        I burned my TI-85
                        JakeKnight

Entering 58008 in a calculator and then turning it upside down was the extent of my mathematical acumen.
                          Ha. Ha ha ha. Heh heh. (snort) Hey, Beavis. He said boobs.

A Saucy Wench

7734 giggle Blush

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

The point is that you can not tell how steep a hill is by watching a video or seeing a picture. For instance the coverage of heart break hill didn't look so tough on Monday until you saw how fast all of the other runners faded! I know that course must be a lot tougher than it looked on TV!
                              Got it now. Smile And you're right. Thanks for sharing. The picture is interesting for sure.
                              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok, steepness of streets is typically measured in percent grade. It is calculated as vertical rise divided by horizontal distance. Thus, if a section of street rises 10 feet over a distance of 100 feet, the percent grade is 10%. People often think that a 100% grade would be vertical, but it's not. An angle of 45 degrees would be equivalent to a grade of 100%. Ok, sorry for the geek rant, but it was kind of fun pulling out some high school math there. Big grin
                                Yes but the key is actually how far a distance is that grade over! If you had 70 degrees over 100 feet you would definitely be seriously risking your life. However, if you have 70 degrees over 10 feet then you are just as likely to fall off of it but you probably won’t die. The elevation profile I showed does hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 degrees. However, it only does it for a few feet(~10 to 20). Trust me I nearly did fall off that section when I tried to run it with the stroller. I ended up struggling to walk up it and I nearly couldn’t make it. That hill is stupid it actually looks like it is 90 degrees at one point on the map. I have never run that race again because of how steep that single hill is. Heck cars have trouble getting up it. It is really a site to see, especially when you turn the corner and realize they expect you to run up it. I have been on several of those steep hills in San Fran and this hill is every bit as steep and more for those few feet in the middle of it. Honestly, if there weren’t million dollar houses on this street I bet they would change the road.