Garmin Accuracy vs RA Map (Read 425 times)

jfa

I seem to remember that after the last RA software upgrade, Eric mentioned that the RA Map was more accurate than the Garmin? What mileage does everyone use? Garmin or what the RA map states? The RA map is almost always quite a bit more than what's on my Garmin.

eric :)

Joe,

How far off are the numbers?  The mileage should be fairly close because the calculations are based on the GPS reading.  Can you point me to a workout with a large discrepancy so I can take a look?

jfa

Yes Eric, today's run had a .65 mile differertial. It was ,however on the NYC waterfront and near a lot of tall buildings. A flat ocean run on 9/3 shows a .25 mile difference. Please tell me I can use the Map mileage, it's almost always more!

Thanks for the quick response!

eric :)

If you look at today's run, you'll see that the route isn't all that accurate due to the signals bouncing around the buildings. RA simply sums up the distances of all the points so the distance is correct for the map.  If the map is wrong, which is the case for today's run, then the map's distance is not a reflection of your actual distance.  I don't know how Garmin arrived at its distance.  It should be very close to RA's calculation.

I mapped out the route manually the best I can to smooth out the deviations and came up with 12.11.  I would consider this the minimum distance because the route hugs the streets with no twists and turns.  The true distance is probably between 12.1 and what the map says.

jfa

Thanks again for looking at it Eric. I always use the lowest number so I don't feel like I'm cheating or log padding or something.

Wow, looks like you did a lot of swimming! Hope you didn't hit the wall too hard on some of those buildings and cars. Smile

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)