Preparing to bonk in a marathon :D (Read 932 times)

Feeling the growl again

For a guy like you with lots of experience, undertrained is a helluva lot better than overtrained. If you're healthy, go for it.
    Well, I wish I could still claim benefits from a long history of high-mileage training but most of it has worn off. I've got a hell of a cold this week but I have had 2-3 great weeks of training and another 3 weeks of time to go so MAYBE...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

(Note - I've never run a marathon, so take this with a grain or two of salt) Go for it - what have you got to lose? Since you've run them before, at some pretty amazing paces (IMHO) I'm guessing you know what it's like to bonk, or at least come close. You're prepared mentally to race. Are you prepared physically? If you go out slow you'll never know. If you go out fast and bonk, you know - you weren't. But at least you know. If you go out fast and PR or finish close to a PR, you know - you were, and you got the results you wanted. The only reasons I can see to hold back is if you have another race coming up soon after that you don't want to jeapordize, or if you have a feeling you're working up to an injury (which I don't get from your writings). Leave it all out there, don't leave yourself wondering.

Prince of Fatness

You've set the bar high for yourself in the past, and I've heard you say that your priorities have changed ... more time with the family, etc. That's good stuff. So maybe it's time to set your expectations based on your potential at the moment. I'm probably telling you what you already know, but I figured it wouldn't hurt for you to hear from a mid packer that has been helped out by your advice on these forums. Translation ..... Go for it and have fun.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Still getting over being sick...not all there yet...did 11 miles tonight mostly 6:37 avg, but cranked the last mile in 5:08. The funny thing is as I sit here carbo-loading with a tasty barley-pop I realized that that 5:08 is probably the fastest mile I have run in a year and a half....how times change.... Given my limited timeframe I think I will do 20 miles this weekend. 15 miles around 6:40 pace then hit the last 5 hard tempo, see where they come in (5:4x?). That should be a decent indicator of how big my gas tank is now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills