Positives of cold weather running (Read 1059 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

- The knowledge that your competition is inside getting softer while you're outside getting better, faster, stronger. And thus less people on the road when you're out. - The muffled quiet of winter. - Being able to see for miles since all the leaves are down. - Being able to eat more than everyone else through the holidays and still lose (or not gain as much) weight. - Being ready for swimsuit season when the SI Swimsuit Issue comes out. - Doing great in a spring race!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well there's cold and then there's f'in' Michigan cold. Here in SC, its rarely below 30 even before daylight, and we almost never get snow, but maybe sleet 2 or 3 times per year. I love winter running here, maybe an extra layer on top, gloves and hat, and out the door. Originally from Milwaukee, but lived in points south too long to ever want to go back other than a visit.
      But our Summers up here in the Nort' are pretty nice...I'll bet you miss that a little. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

I moved away when I was very young, so I can't remember the summers, but they have to be better than here. Sometimes its above 80 before the sun comes up and the humidity is horrendous.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

No more bikers on the little all purpose path... the serious ones are on the road in their wind proof matching clothes. No more bugs... Die insects die! If you are too hot there actually is another layer you can take off... (usually). ... Crisp cool air... Oh and ditto on the muffled quiteness of a winter morning... or running in the middle of a blowing blizzard... all you can hear is wind... I look forward to one of those this winter... :-)
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No more bikers on the little all purpose path... the serious ones are on the road in their wind proof matching clothes.
            Oh, yeah...once the colorful leaves are gone the "tourons" (tourist morons) disappear, leaving a lot more room for us local yokels to enjoy the bike path...well, at least until it's covered in snow and the sections heading out of town are the domain of insane snowmobilers. So, for like a week. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mitch & Pete's Mom

In addition to the relatively cooler weather in Southern CA, I love that all of the birds, geese and ducks migrate down here. I run along the bay and honestly you can't believe the variety of birds. It is better than the zoo. And you know what's funny about the geese, they don't get pissed and chase you. Maybe they are too tired from all that migrating.
              Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not overheating (unless you overdress)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Oh, yeah...once the colorful leaves are gone the "tourons" (tourist morons) disappear, leaving a lot more room for us local yokels to enjoy the bike path..
                  Well, you do describe them quite friendly... Here in Flanders the common name for 'Wieler touristen' (bike tourists) is 'Wieler terroristen', and I suppose that doesn't need translation?

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

12-week layoff

No hurricanes to interfere with your training season. And fewer mosquitos.

uncontrollable

I like hats & I feel a little like Rocky at times (remember when he was training in Russia?) - O yeah!

peace

Former runner

+1 For decreased traffic on the trails and bike paths.

Ross

Bright crisp winter days when the sun glistens on fresh snow. Listening to the crunch of my feet on the snow. Crazy looks from non-runners. Feeling powerful! Being toasty warm on a freezing cold day! Gentle snowflakes falling as I run. Yep. Winter. Good. (most of the time, anyway Smile )

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks. I need to hear all of these positives. Winter in Saskatchewan is cold cold cold.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

No bugs, no bears, no tourists. Big grin
                              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Jazz hands!

No need to head out early.
                                PLUS ONE THOUSAND The worst part of summer is having to be out early-ish on the weekends to get a run in. Ugh. I'd add "I sweat less" to that list, but for me, winter means it's like 50 degrees out. Go on, hate.
                                run run run AHHHHHH run run run