Chilly Willy Half Marathon (Read 721 times)

Go Pre!

It gets cold in the Toronto area this time of year, but if you're resourceful, you can find running events and races all year 'round. Today for example was a 10K & Half Marathon, just outside Toronto and the weather was actually decent although since we ran this race on a waterfront trail, the wind at times was quite a burden. Temperature average was just above freezing 1°C / 33°F - I switched from shorts to Sugoi Mid-zeroes last minute, partially because of the wind and partially because they were new and I waned to try them out. (I do not always abide by the 'Don't try anything new on race day' rule) - anyway, they turned out to be warm and comfortable. After a busy schedule lately, work wise, socially, kid's sports, late nights etc I felt it all on th 1st 2 kms. I felt the fatigue set in right away and started questioning whether or not I would even come close to a half marathon PR and whether I should try or just hang back and enjoy the rub. But that's not me. If I have a goal, I will always give it my best shot. I stuck with it, and actually go into a good groove, sub 1:40 pace and hoped to hang on and tough out the final few kms. and maybe even beat my HM PR of 1:38. It was one of those races where I felt like I was giving it all I had so I didn't pay too close attention to splits late in the race as it's not like I could have turned it up any more if I was in fact falling behind. I finally looked at the last km and realized I was very close to going sub 1:35 as long as I ran a 4 minute final km. - which I did finishing 1:34:41, a PR by over 3 minutes. Post race festivities were a short drive away. Chili lunch was served and I received my 3rd place medal for the Masters category. 3rd of 18, and 8th overall in this small race of 60 runners. Mrs Daddyo also attended and also PR'd in the 10K event finishing 1:00:50, toughing it out through a sore hamstring which she promises to rest after next weekend's Las Vegas Half Marathon. Happy December everyone. ~D
      Nicely done. Congratulations. Are you doing the Egg Nog Jog next weekend? That's easily the best race in the Toronto area from November to March.

Go Pre!

Nicely done. Congratulations. Are you doing the Egg Nog Jog next weekend? That's easily the best race in the Toronto area from November to March.
        Weird distance for the Egg Nog jog, like 8.4 K or something Confused Anyway, we can't do the Egg Nog Jog next weekend as we are in Las Vegas for the Half/Marathon and a gathering of old friends. Should be a hoot. ~D
          Wow, you just demolished that old PR. I'll be you won't forget this one for a long time. What a lesson in hanging tough. Well done!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            You're on a roll Dave, keep doing what you're doing. I guess those three sock races suit you crazy Canadians, eh?

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Go Pre!

As cold as it gets, I never wear more than one pair of socks. single layer in the sumer, double layerr in the (colder) winter months. Tongue
                As cold as it gets, I never wear more than one pair of socks. single layer in the sumer, double layerr in the (colder) winter months. Tongue
                C'mon Dave, the name of the race was Chilly Willy. Where would that third sock be worn? Think like a perv, I know you can. And good call on thawing out in Vegas, you can get away with sporting just a single sock. Evil grin

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Go Pre!

C'mon Dave, the name of the race was Chilly Willy. Where would that third sock be worn? Think like a perv, I know you can. And good call on thawing out in Vegas, you can get away with sporting just a single sock. Evil grin
                  stupid me

Go Pre!

And good call on thawing out in Vegas, you can get away with sporting just a single sock. Evil grin
                    or none Blush
                      Great run, whatever you wore! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JimR

Nice run Dave! I would have been there myself but I'd been nursing a sore toe since an XC race last month.

Another Passion

Regardless of how many pair of socks, or where you wore them, a great race, Dave! Congratulations!

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Nice run Dave! I would have been there myself but I'd been nursing a sore toe since an XC race last month.
                            Would have been nice to have you there Jim, although your absence was one less guy in front of me Smile