USAF PT Test (Read 3019 times)

Fixed that for you. No question about the special treatment. A ribbon for a six week basic training with co-ed dances? That's awesome! Where I was stationed in the UK, on a former Royal Air Force base, had some pretty good barracks. The single Marines thought they'd died and gone to Heaven. The small Air Force detachment on base ... they got a sub-standard housing allowance for staying in the very same barracks. Just awesome! I spent 4 months at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, current home of the creepy cultists. They put us up in rooms that you'd be happy to get in a 4-star hotel. For junior enlisted. Coffee machines. Fridges. Wall-to-wall carpet. Televisions. And best of all - wait for it ... wait for it - MAID SERVICE! Down we dive, spouting out flames from under, attaboy! Give her the gun ...!
    Truer words have not been written, JK. Consider this 21-year Sailor your ally on this one (and before you start with the "squid" comments, relax - at least I was a Corpsman.) Cool OK, I'll admit... the sarcastic comments used to drip with a bit of jealousy, for reasons as you described. Living conditions - Hmm... hole in the ground, 5 square feet of living space in a berthing compartment in a steel gray death trap, or luxury accommodations courtesy of Uncle Sam... which would you choose?? Funny thing is, given the chance to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing! An example of the mindsets: There is no doubt at all in my military mind that, of all the Services, the Air Force has the most intelligent enlisted people. This is not just theory, it's provable fact: Take the Army, for instance: When the stuff hits the fan, the young Army private wakes up from a bellow from the First Sergeant. He grabs a set of BDUs out of his foot locker, gets dressed, runs down to the chow-hall for a breakfast on the run, then jumps in his tank. Pretty soon, the Platoon Commander arrives, gives him a big salute, and says, "Give 'em Hell, men." Now take the Marines: When the stuff hits the fan, the young Marine recruit is kicked out of bed by his Gunny Sergeant, puts on a muddy set of cammies because he just got back in from the field three hours before. He gets no breakfast, but is told to feel free to chew on his boots. He runs out and forms up with his rifle. Pretty soon, his platoon commander comes out, a young Captain, Gives his Marines a sharp salute, and says, "Give 'em Hell, Marines!" As for the Navy: When the stuff hits the fan, the young Sailor is eating breakfast in the messroom. He walks 20 feet to his battle station, stuffing extra pastries in his pocket as he goes. There he sits, in the middle of a steel target, with nowhere to run, when the Captain comes on the 1MC and says, "Give 'em Hell, Sailors! I salute you!" Finally, the Air Force. When the stuff hits the fan, the Airman receives a phone call in his off-base quarters. He gets up, showers, shaves, and puts on a fresh uniform he had just picked up from the BX cleaners the day before. He jumps in his car, and stops at McDonalds for a McMuffin on his way into work. Once he arrives at work, he signs in on the duty roster and proceeds to his F-16. He spends 30 minutes pre-flighting it, signs off the forms. Pretty soon the Pilot, a young Captain gets out and straps into the plane. He starts the engines. Our young Airman stands at attention, gives the Captain a sharp salute, and says, "Give 'em Hell, Sir!" ... and there you have it... Big grin

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

JakeKnight

Ha. That's all funny, because its all just about perfectly true. Especially the pastries part. Oh - and Navy Corpsmen don't get the "squid" treatment any more than a SEAL does. Some of the toughest "Marines" I ever met were actually Navy Corpsmen. I distinctly remember during the long humps in boot camp, when I wanted to just lay down and cry, watching the Corpsman beside us .... humping a pack about twice as big, since he had to carry all the medical crap ... and then actually running up and down the company, checking on the weak, lame, injured, and dying.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

How to Tell the Difference Between the Branches of the US Armed Forces! If you give the command "SECURE THE BUILDING", here is what the different services would do: The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors. The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire. The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter. The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building. This one's for Marcus: A little boy was standing in front of a mirror in the restroom at John F. Kennedy Airport, when in walked a Marine staff sergeant, dressed in his dress blues. The little boy turned to the Marine and said, "Wow! Are you a Marine?" The Marine replied, "Why, yes I am, young man. Would you like to wear my hat?" "Boy, would I!," said the little boy. He took the hat and placed it on his head and turned to admire himself in the mirror. As he was looking in the mirror, he heard the door open and through a ray of bright light, a man entered the room. But, this was not just a man -- he was more than a man. He was an Airborne Ranger. The little boy turned and went over to the soldier. As he approached him, he could see the reflection in his boots. His eyes widened as he stared up at the soldier's chest full of medals and combat ribbons. He tried to speak, but he couldn't. Finally, he took a deep breath, and managed to say, "Excuse me, Sir. Are you an Airborne Ranger?" The Ranger replied with a thunderous voice, "Why yes, I am!! Would you like to shine my boots?" The little boy smiled, and said, "Oh, no sir!! I'm not a Marine. I'm just wearing his hat!"
        Scout7

And, if anyone is ever bored, I give you Skippy's List.
          JakeKnight

And, if anyone is ever bored, I give you Skippy's List.
            Hilarious. Much better than the goofy Ranger joke.

Scout7

Oh, yes. Skippy would love the swamp, methinks.
              JakeKnight

Oh, yes. Skippy would love the swamp, methinks.
                I'm reading the whole list now. This guy is my new hero.

Ha. That's all funny, because its all just about perfectly true. Especially the pastries part. Oh - and Navy Corpsmen don't get the "squid" treatment any more than a SEAL does. Some of the toughest "Marines" I ever met were actually Navy Corpsmen. I distinctly remember during the long humps in boot camp, when I wanted to just lay down and cry, watching the Corpsman beside us .... humping a pack about twice as big, since he had to carry all the medical crap ... and then actually running up and down the company, checking on the weak, lame, injured, and dying.
                  Nice to be appreciated. Duty with the USMC as a Corpsman is actually pretty choice (getting shot or blown up notwithstanding, but hey, that can happen anywhere.) Once you prove to your Marines that you're worth half a shit and won't kill them faster than the bullets or shrapnel, and you're worthy of the coveted "Doc" title, there's no better place to be. It's loyalty and comaraderie at it's best. And that means a lot... especially nowadays. I am ignoring the crack about the pastries... because it is true.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

H The Marine replied, "Why, yes I am, young man. Would you like to wear my hat?" ""
                    Scout, you should know that Marines don't wear hats. We wear covers? Right Jake?
                    Scout7

Scout, you should know that Marines don't wear hats. We wear covers? Right Jake?
                      Eh, I stole the joke. Baseball players wear hats.
                        that list had me cracking up...hillarous stuff! Wink MTA: yeah i can't spell, thought i'd fix it Smile By the way was in the Air Force and got perfect scores on my PT tests Big grin

A Saucy Wench

awesome!!! MTA: OK I just did the assessment (well I guesstimated the run part, but I know I can get full score on it) my poor upper body is so freaking pathetic. Maybe I should try again on a day I didnt run long. Do the chicks get to do the wimpy girly push-ups or the manly ones? Either way I suck, but at least I suck less.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

I remember when I was in the Army, we were out in the field during a week of nothing but downpours. I was in my tent
                            You had tents? Damn. We just got wetter and wetter and wetter. The only time I was in a tent in the military was during basic training. REMF
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Scout7

You had tents? Damn. We just got wetter and wetter and wetter. The only time I was in a tent in the military was during basic training. REMF
                              Shoulda been mech. We got to sleep on/in vehicles. One of the best spots was on the canvas covered trailer. Between the bows... sweet. In the Cav, we used hammocks and ponchos.

The Greatest of All Time

Shoulda been mech. We got to sleep on/in vehicles. One of the best spots was on the canvas covered trailer. Between the bows... sweet. In the Cav, we used hammocks and ponchos.
                                You have no idea how much I hated being rained on for days on end. That was so utterly miserable.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.