Garmin 305 - crazy elevation readings around tall buildings??? (Read 1639 times)

The top chart looks like it's from MotionBased.  If so, is MBGravity (elevation correction) turned on?  Just curious.

It is just a screen shot out of the Garmin Training Center software that came with the watch.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

See if it will get reception in your office, and, if so, get it turned on and located before you actually head out on your run.  Then all you have to do is hit start.  I haven't noticed any increased difficulties getting a signal when indoors, and I'm happy to avoid that awkward time of standing around on the sidewalk waiting for the satellites to find me.  If you do lose satellite contact at some point after you've found it in your office -- like on the elevator or something -- GPS is a lot faster at refinding a recently dropped satellite than it is at booting up and finding a satellite anew.

I've tried this without any luck...sounds like you may be in the city too - I am right next to the BofA building so that might be why I get no signal.  Although I keep the signal when I get back outside the office at the end of the run, as soon as I go into the building I lose it immediately.  I was hoping that I could pick the signal up on the bridge in the morning and leave the Garmin on until lunchtime when I run...maybe then when I go back outside it will pick it up quickly.  Thanks for the advice!

Imminent Catastrophe

I use mine in San Francisco and I don't get weird elevation readings, but I can't pick up the initial signal when I am downtown.  If I start running I can pick it up when I move away from the buildings, and I keep the signal when I run back into downtown at the end of my run (even among the tall buildings), but it is just the initial reception I can't get.  Does anyone else have this issue - or any tips on how to fix it?  It doesn't matter how long I stand outside at the start of the run, I can't get reception.

This is pretty normal in big cities near tall buildings. Like Anne said, sometimes if I set it on a windowsill for a few minutes it can get a lock. Down in the streets below the buildings it may never get a lock, until you get to an open area.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

There is a solution to correct this if you want to have accurate elevation change calculations. Check out http://gpsrunner.blogspot.com. The June post has a couple of solutions that should work. Hope this helps!

Imminent Catastrophe

Also, if you average 25-50 data points on RA's graphs, it helps smooth out the data.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016