Forerunner 305 $130 @ Amazon (Read 1131 times)

Hung up? Well, I guess that is one way to look at it. I'll go with that. I was answering the question of differences, and appearance/style is a HUGE difference in these two models.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, I was deliberately comparing the 110 to the 405, b/c the 405 was the "update" to the 305, but they put the bezel on the 405, which kind of ruined it. I'm glad to hear they got rid of that bezel. Thanks for the rundown & info.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No, I was deliberately comparing the 110 to the 405, b/c the 405 was the "update" to the 305, but they put the bezel on the 405, which kind of ruined it. I'm glad to hear they got rid of that bezel. Thanks for the rundown & info.

Well, they didn't actually get rid of the bezel, they just added a bezel-less, simpler watch to the updated line up in the 110, due to alot of people not liking the bezel and feeling that the 405 was "too much" watch for what people wanted. There is a new and improved bezel version in the 410.

Well, here's my experience with my 305 v. the specs/reviews/in-person-fondling of the 110:

Overall.  If you want a basic Casio sport-watch from the 80s, but GPS-enabled, the 110 is your device.  It's sport-watch sized, light, and has a great GPS package.  But it deliberately has only rudimentary features compared to the bulk of Garmin's product lineup.

Features.  YMMV,but the complicated extra features are exactly what I like about the 305.  Being able to change the display fields; scroll those screens; set up workouts in advance (any kind, not just intervals -- I put my schedule into the device); load courses (old or new) and run them without memorizing all the turns; just go out and wander, then ask the 305 to get me home; ...

I'm late-forties, getting to the point of needing reading glasses, and I do most of my runs in the early AM or after work (i.e., in the dark or twilight).  Even in broad daylight, the smaller screen of the 110/405 = smaller font = dealbreaker.  The inability to customize the screen to get larger fonts is a dealbreaker.  If you can read everything you want on the 110's screen in the dark, rock on.  I can't, especially while on the run.

GPS Functionality.  I have NEVER lost reception in trees or town.  YMMV, again.  The big difference, from everything I read, is that the post-305 units find the satellites much faster (sluggish lock-in was a common complaint with the 305).  People I know just set the 305 down while they put their shoes on or do any sort of warmup stretching (I do two dynamic leg-swing drills, then put on the 305 and go).  If you're moving while the 305 is trying to lock in, it takes a long time ... but that's also the story for the other Garmin units, I hear.

Battery life.  In GPS-device mode, the 305 specs at 10hrs to the 110's 8hrs.  If we're going to talk about wristwatch mode, my $30 Timex Ironman has been going for three years on the original battery.  Apples to apples.  And most folks likely download their workouts each day, so the unit's battery life rarely is being tested.

They're both good devices for what they do, but they do different things.  Personally, I never completely understood the complaints about the 305's bulkiness.  I can understand a very petite person having a physical issue securely wearing the 305.  But the 25g weight difference doesn't affect armswing, and it's a functional device that I only wear while running.  I may as well gripe that the semi-burnt-orange color doesn't match my running gear.  All other things equal, sure, I'd like the smaller watch.  I really wanted to like the 110, but its limited features and smaller screen just wouldn't work for me.  Obviously, they DO work for lots of other people.  You may be one of them.

Eric's review of the 110

Thread on the 110 w/comments about the 305

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

When I first bought my 205, I was a little worried about the size.  After a week, I couldn't even tell it was on my wrist.  Plus, I love the size of screen.  I could care less about the look since I don't have a need to use my GPS running watch as an everyday watch.  It's funny, I ran a HM yesterday and it seems that the 205 and 305 is still the GPS watch used by most.  I guess it's a price thing.

xor

"The big difference, from everything I read, is that the post-305 units find the satellites much faster (sluggish lock-in was a common complaint with the 305). "

Not my 310.  It seems to be the same as my friends' 305s.  And in one specific location near my apartment (with access to sky all around), frustratingly long and I'm not sure why.  Always. Right there.