5k (Read 1437 times)

I just ran my first 5k in 17:32. Is that good?
    Nate. I think people here are trying to feel you out as to whether you know that is a great time for a 1st 5k as 98% of runners never attain that time. So they are trying to see if you are just looking for some praise to be heaped upon you or whether you have no idea. If you haven't been training much 17:30 shows a ton of potential. You have some good genes.Start training some more and you will be racing to win most road races within a year.
      man is it even possible for some average Joe to just go out and run a 17:32 with little to no training? He must be training, but this is his first race. Not sure why he would ask if this is a good finish time though, thats a question that has the answer built in. Anyway, if that is what you can do with little to no training you sould be in the olympics by next year.
      obsessor

man is it even possible for some average Joe to just go out and run a 17:32 with little to no training? He must be training, but this is his first race. Not sure why he would ask if this is a good finish time though, thats a question that has the answer built in. Anyway, if that is what you can do with little to no training you sould be in the olympics by next year.
        no.

Go Pre!

It wasn't at the "Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure" was it?!?!?!
          LOL - chck out the photos - my daughter wearing her "Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure" shirt in last weekend's 5K! The Office - our favorite show Smile MTA: By the way Nate. If you are really that naive, then ya, that's a ridiculously good time for someone who doesn't realize it. Otherwise...get real.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just ran my first 5k in 17:32. Is that good?
            i didnt want to do anything i just ran it because my mom said to do it for her company outing.
            In the end, that is fabulous. For a first race. What shoes did you wear. Next time you may want to wear a pair of Asics Gel-Speedstars (II if you cant fine the orginals). They are about 9 oz. and a great durable shoe.
            Nate Grant

i ran 20 miels this week and i run for fun mostly. my breakdown was 3, 2.5, 4, 3, off day, 4, 4. i just go out and run and ya i ran in the speestars ive had them for about a year
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet. What paces do you run when you are out running for fun?
                Nate Grant

i just usually run how i feel. I dont really decide before hand i just see how i feel and stuff. i dont really know how fast i am going i dont time myself or anything, but i would guess its around 8 minutes a mile on average?? im really not sure, ive never competed on a track so i dont know what a good mile pace is for my runs.
                  Len

Damn Yankee

Assuming you are in high school, I think you should join your track team this spring.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Assuming you are in high school, I think you should join your track team this spring.
                      No doubt. Joint the team, get some sound coaching advice, and keep working, you will do well.
                      Nate Grant

yes i have already joined the track team. people who keep asking me why i am asking if it is good is because my mother was very very suprised at my performance and so were her co-workers. I started running for fun when i was about 14 (i am 15 now) because my mom would run about 3 miles a day and i went with her. Now i still run with her but go a little longer sometimes. I do not know how to train but my school's track team isnt really a team its a club and i have been told there is no coaching, they just meet to run and go to meets in a carpool. i have been told that the first meet is tuesday though so i might run in the track meet. they have the 100, 200, 400, and 800 in the meet, i take it i should run the 800?
                        Nate Grant

ran the 800 today, i won by about two seconds but my time was 2:04. Im pretty sure thats decent but i know that it takes almost a 1:45 to win the olympics so i have a long way to go Sleepy
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

ran the 800 today, i won by about two seconds but my time was 2:04. Im pretty sure thats decent but i know that it takes almost a 1:45 to win the olympics so i have a long way to go Sleepy
                            Are you sure you haven't run track before? It seems hard to believe that you ran that fast your first outing. I imagine someone has already told you that it's a good time!
                            Hannibal Granite

I'll suspend disbelief for a minute and assume Nate is what he is claims to be a young (15 y.o.) kid who has run for fun for about a year and has recently run a 17:32 5k and a 2:04 800m. Nate - It is clear you have some natural ability and would benefit greatly by getting an actual coach and doing some specific training. Based on the two results you have given, and what you said you did for training you are very underdeveloped aerobically compared to your natural speed, which is very common for a young runner (a 2:04 800m is a far better performance than a 17:32 5K). The fix to this is to run more miles and keep running more miles for several years. The question is how good do you want to be and how hard do you want to work for it? Can you ever be Olympic level good? Maybe, maybe not, your performances so far don't indicate that level of talent, but the first time Jim Ryun tried to run a mile as a freshman he ran something like 6:40 (Jim Ryun was the first High schooler under 4 minutes in the mile) so the only way to tell is to go out train hard and see what happens. Suspended disbelief over. I do not believe you are as ignorant as you claim to be about running because you keep dropping hints that you know about running like the weight of different shoes and what kind of time it takes to win the Olympic 800m ( FYI-even if a 1:45 would win the Olympics in a slow year, you have to be able to run 1:43 or better). If you are coming here looking for an ego stroke this isn't the place, I have seen people with far less training and experience run as fast or faster in both events. Yes, you are talented, but you are not that special (at least not yet see the comment about working hard for years). Even if you are as ignorant as you claim to be you must understand that the kind of times you have run are faster than most of the people have ever or will ever run. Talent alone will make people jealous, Talent+ Boastfulness will make people hate you. Which is what you are doing by saying"I run fast and win races with almost no training". Talent+Humility on the other hand would earn you respect and admiration this could be done by adding just a few words to the above statement "I run fast and win races with almost no training I'm really lucky to have such an ability"

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Yeah a 2:04 for 800 meters is akin to a 15:53 five k. Doesn't seem possible for a 15 year old running 20 miles a week. I sense Nate is pulling our leg(s). If not he is some super freak of genetics.