Race 13.1 or Train 26.2? (Read 221 times)

My local town marathon is 9 weeks out from my goal marathon.  Being my local race, I've already decided to participate and am considering two options:  Full-on racing a Half or run the Full at a moderate pace (~MP + :60).  Which one would generally be less disruptive to a marathon training block (middle of Pfitz's LT+Endurance phase)?

2014 goals:   •  1st Marathon  •  3,000 miles

Do the half.  A full would be disruptive.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Fat butt on couch

Even run very easily, the marathon will be much more disruptive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

carlos49er

Half

It's not one of the two options you suggested, but the half marathon seems like a pretty good opportunity to do a supported marathon pace workout.  A few miles warm up and then 13 miles at marathon pace is pretty much exactly what Pfitz is asking from you 9 weeks out.

If you are fixed on either racing the half or doing a 26.2 mile training run then - like everyone else - I'd say race the half, taking a couple of extra easy days either side.

Thanks, all.  The Half it is.  Looks like everybody agrees...which just might be a FKT (first known time) here on RA.  Smile

2014 goals:   •  1st Marathon  •  3,000 miles

I entered races where I only wanted to run a moderate pace. Every time the gun goes off I change my mind and end up racing. It's an urge I can't control.

My vote is half too and would do one of two things:

-Run it as the first 1/2 of a marathon and at your marathon pace which would be slower than your normal HM

-Find a running partner or buddy that you KNOW is slower than you and run with them at their pace

Just make a fun run day out of it....

Champions are made when no one is watching