Running in the dark! (Read 917 times)

uncontrollable

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best reflective wear? I have a lightweight jacket that is speckles all over with highly reflective areas. Pretty good. I think I may have to invest in that headlamp though. Also, I run with my German Shepherd & I was hoping for a vest for him instead of just reflective leash - I don't know how he will deal with it though. Just looking for any ideas! Thanks! I am missing those long summer days ...

peace

xor

If you have a reflective shirt and reflective shoes (many are), you are probably good. As for headlamps, I'll offer up an alternative that was the best running advice I've received in several years. Instead of getting a headlamp, pay a little more for a lightweight LED-based handheld light, such as the Fenix P3D Q5. Just google "Fenix Q5". It has served me way WAY better than a headlamp. They can be pricier, but they are worth every penny. 1. It doesn't give me a headache like the strap from a headlamp can. 2. My hat doesn't get in the way. 3. It provides me much better depth perception than a headlamp (I don't know why). 4. I can point it at what I want to see, or scan it back and forth, without having to move my entire head. 5. They shine a whole lot further, plus this is adjustable. 6. The batteries last a long time.

-Headlamps -Reflective Vests (someone posted some good link a while back on reflective clothes) -clip on blinkers and strobe lights -Reflective Arm Bands and Anklets... I used to wear these when running. Http://www.illuminite.com/ mentioned here Custom LED stuff Big grin Copied from a prior post

Vim

A reflective vest is more versatile than a jacket. You can wear it over your normal running clothing. You can probably find one for Fido as well. A good head lamp is the Tikka by Petzl. Tom
            ... Also, I run with my German Shepherd & I was hoping for a vest for him instead of just reflective leash -...
            I saw a gal running before dawn with a kind of mesh with blinking lights on her dog's back and sides. Pretty hard to miss that dog in the dark.

uncontrollable

Thanks

peace

Me

I usually run in the morning before the sun comes up. I found a reflective vest at MC Sporting Goods in Ohio a few years ago. They marketed it as a vest for walking. I like it because I can wear it in the summer over a light shirt or in the winter over whatever the weather calls for. Mike
                gooddogs74

Try this company for your dog--they have flashing lights and reflective vests. I have ordered from them before and the product was of very high quality. www.ruffwear.com
                  johnnfrankfort

i have been running to/at my local track at night. the track is so cool by yourself lit by the moon....
                    goals: complete c25k 2 miles in 15 min
                      If you have a reflective shirt and reflective shoes (many are), you are probably good. As for headlamps, I'll offer up an alternative that was the best running advice I've received in several years. Instead of getting a headlamp, pay a little more for a lightweight LED-based handheld light, such as the Fenix P3D Q5. Just google "Fenix Q5". It has served me way WAY better than a headlamp. They can be pricier, but they are worth every penny. 1. It doesn't give me a headache like the strap from a headlamp can. 2. My hat doesn't get in the way. 3. It provides me much better depth perception than a headlamp (I don't know why). 4. I can point it at what I want to see, or scan it back and forth, without having to move my entire head. 5. They shine a whole lot further, plus this is adjustable. 6. The batteries last a long time.
                      I do about 50% of my mileage in the dark... another vote for a handheld over a headlamp, for all the reasons he gave. The Fenix lights are insanely bright too!