Working backwards... (Read 374 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, working backwards here. I am running a five mile race tomorrow. I have only raced half marathons to date. So, I'm feeling a little off on pacing, etc. Any suggestions would be great!! Trying to figure out how hard to start out...feel like its my first race all over again. Just goes to show no race is the same. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

an amazing likeness

Well, based on my extensive experience of exactly one 5-miler, I'll offer this -- the first mile should be your slowest, just in dealing with the start and the crush of the start area getting sorted out. Then it is all about picking a fast pace that is your race target and just hold onto it. For me, it was about 15 sec/mile faster than my best half-marathon pace.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The McMillan Calculator says that an equivalent 5-mile pace based on your current half-mary is 7:34/mi.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.