Low BMI, body weight and excessive exercise.....unhealthy????? (Read 1700 times)

I just finished taking one of those overall "health surveys", (things I typically stay away from), and was amazed that it actually gave me bad marks for having a low BMI, (20.4), low weight (154lbs), and that I exercise too much! If anything, Confused
    Is it possible for a runner to exercise too much?? I suppose the annswer is YES if they are getting injured or gone so over board that they turn into Forrest Gump and run across America 4 times 'for no particular reason'... Other than that, I can't understand how its possible to exercise too much......what if you got into 'too good of shape' - Now that would be horrible JKW -- I think your on solid ground......... Smile Big grin Wink......dont sweat it Man........ Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

Why is it sideways?

I don't run for health.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is it sideways?

Your BMI is healthy.
        True. It's a fortunate side-consequence of being a runner. I like the fact that running leads to more healthy consequences than unhealthy ones. And it's one of many reasons why I run. However, if I was more focused on health, I would probably run less, swim more, lift more, not try to push through certain injuries. I wouldn't race marathons or ultras. I wouldn't see how far my body can go without breaking. I wouldn't be sick as often during bouts of heavy training. Health is not a bottom-line for me. It may be for some. But if it turned out that my running has taken 5 years off my life, I hope I can say that whatever I miss in quantity has been made up in quality--doing the thing that I love.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True. It's a fortunate side-consequence of being a runner. I like the fact that running leads to more healthy consequences than unhealthy ones. And it's one of many reasons why I run.
          Yeah, but you are probably hurting your knees. Wink
            I hurt my knee doing something totally non-running. I`m just waiting to hear the dreaded, "Well, your knee was probably already weakend from all that running you`ve been doing."
            "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
            mikeymike

Health is not a bottom-line for me. It may be for some. But if it turned out that my running has taken 5 years off my life, I hope I can say that whatever I miss in quantity has been made up in quality--doing the thing that I love.
              Interesting way to net things out. I've never thought about it like that but I have to agree. I beleive that running has probably, if anything, added 5 years to my life but if it turned out to be the opposite would I stop running? I doubt it. I like being able to throw out statistics about the health benefits of running to those who scoff and think I'm crazy, but the fact is those health benefits are not why I do it and I really AM as crazy as I'm accused of being.

Runners run

I would argue that anything can be bad for you when taken to an extreme. Running, weight, whatever. To be totally fair, there is a real problem with running and eating disorders among young women (http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3769). For jkw0989 in particular, as long as his BMI is in the normal range, he's probably fine. But I would try to keep it above 18.5, and if it drops below, consult a doctor. Edit: I was looking into what spaniel said about correlation vs. causation in these BMI studies. It turns out there has been some research into why people with low BMI have higher mortality. This study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7637744?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg) found that lean women (BMI < 19.0)="" had="" the="" same="" risk="" of="" mortality="" as="" normal-weight="" women="" once="" they="" controlled="" for="" smoking="" (i.e.="" many="" lean="" women="" smoke).="" another="" study="" />http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7840109?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg) looked at older people and found that the high mortality rate for older people with low BMI can be explained by weight change -- people who lose more than 10% of their body weight between ages 50 and 70 have high mortality, and when you control for that it eliminates the higher risk of death associated with low weight. Short version: There seems to be some truth to the idea that low BMI itself is not the cause of the increased health risk, but is instead a symptom of other factors (smoking, declining health) that increase the risk.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Afty. I didn't know they'd actually looked at it, I'm not surprised at the results but glad to have them pointed out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills