spaniel... Question for You! (Read 599 times)

Just Be

When you were in your best running condition, what was the pace of your long run, on average? I'm trying to benchmark my progress against your best times to help me gauge approximately how I'm progressing with my training and fitness level. Today I did a 16 mile long run at an average pace of 6:46 per mile and my heart rate average was below MAF... I sped up the last mile but not to a pace where I couldn't still be conversational. Thanks in advance for your answer! Smile

Feeling the growl again

I can look back in my log for you if you want specifics, but you'll have to be patient as I can't get to it until next week.... First, I will say that I don't that long run pace is the best place to gauge your fitness. What is easy? What is moderate? Long runs are a path to fitness but a poor measure. Also, in the longer stuff it becomes very individual. For example, looking at HR mine is whacky. My HR is typically lower that most people's at a given effort. However my max HR during a 5K is not much different than during a half marathon! For some reason I just can run HM/M at a higher % of max HR than most people. This makes me better at longer events but worse at shorter ones...I always regret that I never got a chance to maximize the marathon as my 10K predicted a disproportionately fast marathon. I think my easy pace during peak fitness for at 16-miler would have been in the 6:25-6:35 range. That was truly easy. I considered anything over 6:40 so easy that I rarely ran that slow back then (outside of morning recovery 4-6 milers), even though I was in the 90-110 mpw range every week. But I rarely did a long run all easy -- they are too good of a workout and no run much over 10 miles is true recovery. I typically did an interval workout Tuesday, med-long run with tempo on Thursday, a minor workout/refresher on Saturday, and a long run with quality on Sunday. 16 miles was my standard unless close to a marathon. I'd go out easy and usually accelerated after 10 miles to sub-6 pace, often running the last 4 miles under 5:30 pace and closer to 5 flat the last mile on a good day. Standard comparator workouts to gauge fitness would be a flat 4-mile tempo, 8X800m on the track in flats with 90sec jogging recovery, or 5X1600m repeats with 3min jogging recovery on the track in flats. The best I ever did the above workouts, all within a month of my 10K PR, were 5:13avg for the tempo, 2:22 avg for the 800s, and (I think?) 4:53 or 4:55 avg for the 1600s. If I forget you can bump this up next week and I can look up specifics, I have work travel and family stuff until then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just Be

Thank you for the reply! I have no problem with waiting for specifics. Smile I did a 2 miler on Monday at 5:10 pace and called it quits after 2 miles because I had been up all night and was very tired. I felt, though, like if I brought the right amount of determination to the race, and was slightly better rested, that I'd actually be able to maintain that pace for a whole 5k effort (at the track, though). I figured you'd be the best to ask since you seem to analyze things well and have a 5k PR that I feel like I will be approaching in the next 6 months. But now that you mention how you were a stronger long distance runner, it makes a bit more sense why your long run pace would be so much faster than mine, yet I am approaching your 5k PR - I am more of a middle distance guy, my best event is the 1600 and 2 mile, and I think I can still contend well in the 5k and 10k. My easy run pace right now is right around 7 min per mile, which is high compared to what it used to be when I was in better shape. Your comment about long run pace being a poor indicator of fitness makes sense, especially since the pace can vary wildly. Again, thanks so much for your reply!

Just Be

To clarify, the 2 miler was done at the track, and wasn't a race. Hopefully you'll have a great time with the family this weekend! Smile

Feeling the growl again

So in 16:00 shape right now if 5:10 for 5k pace...I know you had wheels back in the day so I hope you can do low-15s within 6 months. For me it was a much, much longer road. I ran 16:13 senior year of college (2000) and finally broke 16 in early 2001. I think I did 15:53 in 2001 and 15:37 in 2002, and I tried without success to better that time all the way until 2006. In fact I ran more than 15 5Ks all between 15:37-15:40, it seemed no strategy made a difference. To this day, the only 5K I ever ran faster than 15:37 was that 15:18 to finish out the 10K...after running 15:39 to start out. Sometimes I regret not giving in and jumping into a 5K to go for 14:50 the next week. This is why I say I was disproportionately better at long distances, while my 5K was stagnant my marathon went from 2:37 to 2:29 and half marathon from 1:16 to 1:10!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just Be

Yesterday I ran a self timed 5k in 16:22. I felt good through the start of mile 2 and then all of the sudden I just faded really fast and it took a lot of mental determination to keep going till the end. It's strange that I didn't hurt that bad, I was just breathing hard and had a general sense of discomfort and an overwhelming urge to stop running. If it was an actual 5k track race, based on the 16:22, I feel like the low 16s should be possible, but going into this run I thought I would break 16 minutes. I have a new respect for the distance now and now think that a sub 15:30 5k within 6 months is probably a gross overestimation of my ability. I have an actual 5k race coming up on October 18th, in Hunt Valley, MD. It should be interesting to see how I do. My training thus far has not prepared me very well for that additional mile.