Can anyone tell me about the Indy Marathon (Read 593 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Any suggestions on where to stay? It is important that I get a nice quiet sleep. Any clues on what the course is like. I've run Columbus and The Flying Pig and would love some sort of comparison if anyone has every run either along with Indy. Thanks,
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Just an FYI I also started a group for this. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/IndyMarathon
        2011 Goals:
      C-R

Bearcat. I assume you mean the Indy on Oct 18th and not the Monumnetal on Nov 1. Having two that close can make things confusing. If it is the Indy, this is a great race. Course is through some scenic areas with central Indiana hills. Basically speed bumps compared to Cincy. Good support along the route and very uncrowded after the half-full split. The half and full share the first 12 miles. Goes through mostly residential areas and some parks. As for places to stay, there isn't much in the way of locations on 56th street where the race is held. About 5 miles up on 96th and I-69, there are lots of hotels/motels and you can find some on I-70 prior to I465 (assuming you are arriving from Ohio). Any of these will put you within ten to 15 minutes of the start line. Just mapquest the locations and several hotels should pop up. If its Monumental, stay downtown. About ten hotels within a two block radius of the start line. Course looks interesting but since this is the first year for the race, I can't comment on how good it will be.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Yeah I was talking about the Indianapolis Marathon not to be confused with the Monumental new one Confused I've actually been thinking about both but I am only signed up for the Indy one on the 18th. I've read good reviews before. Have you run the Flying Pig before?
            2011 Goals:
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looks like a good hill in the last mile. Sweet!
            xor

I've run the Indianapolis Marathon a few times. It has grown through the years, but still isn't gigantic. It is a great race, although the course is kind of hard to describe. Several spiral-y things in the beginning. Important note: despite the name, this race has little to nothing to do with Indianapolis proper. It's a nice mostly rural course in Lawrence. Some through a park. You will not see building skyline nor the speedway. I don't remember much of a hill in the last mile. I recall the race as being mostly flattish with a bit of roly poly along the way. TONS of parking across the street from the start/finish. Great aid along the way. Good food at the end. If I recall correctly, this is a hamburger race... meaning you can get a burger at the end. When I did it in 2002, we also got beer. I didn't see any beer in 2007. Then again, the race seemed 3x larger. The new Monumental one will involve actual Indianapolis. Alas, the area (and stupid people from out of town, like me) got burned last year by a race which never quite happened - the theoretical Indy Classic Marathon. We knew something was up months in advance because they advertised that they were trying to attract 40,000 people. Also, they kept referring to their other events as "the 5k marathon", etc.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

So Trent you and the Flying Monkeys will be racing?
                  2011 Goals:
                RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I heard something aobut one of the indy marathons canceling. Have you heard anything about that?
                    2011 Goals:
                  xor

I heard something aobut one of the indy marathons canceling. Have you heard anything about that?
                    Yes, that's the Indy Classic Marathon I mentioned above. Last year. Not one of this year's races.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay great. What is the deal with Mile 10. Looks like a big downhill and then big uphill. Trent is right though it does look like it has a big hill at the end. Not very nice thing to do to tired runners. At least it is not Eden Park.
                        2011 Goals:
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, that's the Indy Classic Marathon I mentioned above. Last year. Not one of this year's races.
                        Lopez. You loved your experience with the Indy Classic, didn't you? Wink
                        xor

Okay great. What is the deal with Mile 10. Looks like a big downhill and then big uphill. Trent is right though it does look like it has a big hill at the end. Not very nice thing to do to tired runners. At least it is not Eden Park.
                          I assure you that these hills are not "big" *especially* not compared to the hill in the middle of the pig. That last hill gains about 50-75 feet over the course of 1+ mile. More of an easy incline than a hill. The M10 dip is right at 50ish feet, though it is steeper. This dip at M10 is on the bike path loop through the park. It's easy peasy.

xor

Lopez. You loved your experience with the Indy Classic, didn't you? Wink
                            Yes, I loved spending an extra $150 to move my flights to something else and the $35 hotel cancelation fee. It was a treat. Then again, I was an idiot for registering for the race. The website contained 1,564 different warning signs.

C-R

The hills are nothing in comparison to the Flying Pig hills. The one at 10 is pretty gradual, is in a park and a good place to drop a few runners if you are racing. Sort of like how I got droped by a couple of folks last time. Big grin The one at the end is not very big but it is at the end and last for what seems like eternity when you have tired legs. I agree with Lopez that the course is hard to describe as it does turn and twist but its mostly in residential areas and well covered. I've not heard of anyone getting lost or missing markings. As for the Indy Classic, sorry you guys got burned on that one. The local running store discussions kept me clear of that one from the start. Too much sizzle and too little steak. The Monumental is a whole different grouping and should be a good run.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/