marathon on ~60 mpw (Read 161 times)

OhioU

My work/life schedule does not allow me to run on weekends, but Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I can pretty much run as much as I want, and Tuesday and Thursday I can do about 7 miles each day.

My most recent week was 16, 8, 15, 8, 13, 0, 0 for 60 miles, no doubles. The 13 was done in 1:22:00.

I want to run a marathon under 2:45. My pr is 2:50 from a few years ago off of an average of 80 mpw, 100 at the high end. Any advice on training given my schedule, which I can't do anything about?

Thanks!

kilkee

runktrun

Given your PR, I think 2:45 is possible, with some work.  I suggest taking one of those longer days and building it as your long run.  Because 2:45 requires more focus and specific training than just running to finish, you will want to cater some of your long runs to marathon pace workouts.  20 with last 6 @ MP.  22 with alternating 2mi @ MP, 1mi easy...stuff like that.  Make sure the day before the long run is easy/moderate, and the day after is true recovery or off.  I personally like to run at least a few shakeout miles the day after a long/hard effort.  Friday long run would make sense, if you don't mind not running on Saturday.  Tuesdays could alternate leg speed (true short reps) with VO2 Max (1000s around 5k pace).  I think the key is the long run, and keeping some days as true recovery, even if that means your total weekly mileage is a bit low.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

OhioU

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I've ever posted here. Really appreciate the advice.