Running with a Power meter? (Read 93 times)

Bluey

I just started using a Power for running App called Power2run and find as a Power guesstimator it matches up really well with my heart rate data but is much more responsive.

I should say I'm a former CAT 4 Bike racer and really liked training with my PowerTap bike Power meter....it was super helpful to get my pacing correct for training intervals, time trials and races. I kinda view 5k and 10k runs as running time trials......

Q: Is anyone else out there using RPM2 Styrd or this App to measure their Power output when running you like it how does it compare to Heart rate and Pace data?

Q: Other thoughts personal experiences on run training with Power???

running metalhead

First of all THX for the link to the app mate!!

I have read a few reviews of the Stryde (I think by DC Rainmaker) and also a note from Jason Koops in his book "Training Essentials for Ultrarunning". Both agreed that such a device would be great for trail running as we don't have any way to compare efforts on different types of footing.

For road running I don't think it would make much sense as we already focus on a few specific metrics like pace, heart rate, etc. But don't trust my word, there might yet be something to it.

In any case my question is if  it's worth the extra € 229.  This app on the other side is free and I was just discussing with my colleagues if the sensors in my iPhone 5s wouldn't actually be better than the one/s in the pod. At least I can give it a try for free and see if the metric makes any sense to me.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bringing this one back from the dead!

I've been running using Stryd since April-ish. From my experience, it is a better guide than pace or heart rate (I also guide my running by HRR), and isn't as subjective as perceived effort. Power is much more consistent over terrain (300W over flats or hills is 300W, while 7 min/mi up a hill is much harder than the same pace on flats), and is real-time, while HR lags behind the effort (not to mention being affected by drift over time, weather, etc.).

The biggest drawbacks to Styd is that it underestimates power going down hill and doesn't take wind in to account at all. I did a 1 mile out-and-back section during my run this morning that was directly into/out of the wind. My perceived effort was about the same going both ways. Wattage from Stryd was from just above easy-level to about marathon level into the wind, while my effort was a little shy of HM effort while going into the wind (at about marathon pace). I turned around and power was about where it should have been, effort was still about HM level, but pace was a little faster than HM pace.

I've learned that you can't be a slave to any of the numbers (pace, HR, Wattage), but they all do have their place.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4