Garmin: Reinventing the Wheel (Read 1293 times)

Evolution of the emoticon?
      I think Eric is building something that will integrate this site with Garmin, so maybe I shouldn't worry about these other programs, but: Anyone have experience with Motion Based and/or Training Peaks? Brochures came in my Garmin box. I don't know if they'd add value beyond what Training Center and this site offer. And I bet whatever Eric comes up with will be awesomer/est. Any users care to share? Thanks. And by the way, this site so rocks.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think Eric is building something that will integrate this site with Garmin
        Correct.
        Motion Based and/or Training Peaks?
        MB is pretty good, TP is less so. There are some others out there. The key to using MB is to avoid paying and then access your workouts by logging out and searching for your username.
        And by the way, this site so rocks.
        Correct! Big grin

an amazing likeness

Anyone have experience with Motion Based and/or Training Peaks? Brochures came in my Garmin box.
          I can't imagine life with a Forerunner and not using Motionbased. (or one of the alternatives...) If all that's desired is to have basic pace and distance information on the current run, then I can see not using software to collect and anayze data, otherwise some software to collect and organize the gps data is a good thing. I do pay the annual fee for Motionbased rather than screw around with the limitations of free access.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do pay the annual fee for Motionbased rather than screw around with the limitations of free access.
            I don't primarily because I find the system to be slow and the development community not to be terribly responsive to problems or questions. I am delighted to pay for good service.
            JakeKnight

I can't imagine life with a Forerunner and not using Motionbased. (or one of the alternatives...) ........... I do pay the annual fee for Motionbased rather than screw around with the limitations of free access.
              Agreed with the first part. I can't imagine using the Garmin and not using Motionbased. That place is addictive, too. I can spend altogether too much time looking at the pretty graphs. But why pay the annual fee? If there are more features (read: more useless shiny graphs to mesmerize me) I might be tempted. What do you get for your fee?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Agreed with the first part. I can't imagine using the Garmin and not using Motionbased. That place is addictive, too. I can spend altogether too much time looking at the pretty graphs.
                Just what I need: More computer time. Thanks, but, no thanks. I'll wait for Eric's thing. Again, this place rocks!

an amazing likeness

http://www.motionbased.com/info/product/view.mb?tile=info.product.benefits_mb has a nice summary of the difference between the Garmin Training Center (TC) that comes with the Forerunner and the Motionbased service. http://www.motionbased.com/info/product/view.mb?tile=info.product.chart shows the advantages of the paid version of Motionbased. For me, the biggest are that I have 2years of activities to sort, display and track (rather than the 10 the free will display) and the saved reports. I am not shilling for Motionbased, it is just something that I really enjoy using to track my data.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.