I WAS a SLACKER <<< (Read 629 times)

De-slacking in progress

This is my WORST running graph EVER since I starting running in April of 2008. I just went 20 days without running No As I've mention before I've been unemployed for 3 months now and my reserves will be running low in a few months. So we decided to put our house up for sale just in case I don't get a job soon. So three weeks ago we started to clean up our house. We rented a huge dumpster and started trashing all the junk we've accumulated over time- geez there was a lot of useless stuff we had. Then we started fixing up the interior - not too much to do as we just built our house 7 years ago. Did some painting, patching, scrubbing, etc. Then did outside work. Turns out the last few weeks have all been "cross-training" I was so sore I couldn't even walk, bend, stoop down, move my arms. Even my hair hurt Smile It took me nearly a week to get over being sore so that I could start running again this week. So on Monday I started off like a beginner again so that I didn't do anything to hurt myself- just ran 3.2 miles easy. It about killed me. I did run the entire way without stopping but I couldn't figure out why it was sooooo tough. I've read you start to loose some fitness after two weeks but I was running 130 mile months previously. Well I found out the main problem. I got on the scales and weighed myself. I have BALLOONED up to 184 pounds. That's right- I gained a nasty 13 pounds of FAT. DeadNo Oh well- I know I can drop that weight over the next month or so so I'm not too worried. I guess I can never stop running or I'll end up weighing 220 pounds again. So now I'm back to keeping my appointments with myself to run 5 days per week again. Also- some good news- I just got invited back to the second round of a job interview. So hopefully I can snag this job and get back to work and have money to enter my racing series again. It really sucks not having races to train for. I've only ran a HM and a 5K race so far this year. I had expected to have run in at least a race every other week. Feels great mentally to get back out on the road Big grinBig grinBig grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Hang in there Slap, hope things take a turn for the better soon.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

don't forget to slow it down a little. no sense trying to beat yourself up. maybe add 30 seconds per mile to your easy pace for a bit. it should come back down pretty quickly. also some of the physical work may have worked on some muscles you didn't use much. that kind of soreness can be expected. if I spent the next 3 weeks working on a drill rig instead of scheduling the field guys I'm sure my running would suffer big time.

Hang in there Slappy.......sometimes things look the darkest just before the light comes....... Definitely slow down and don't hesitate to throw in some walks either.....I walk all the time..... And good luck with your second interview........I understand as I got laid off from a company after 7 years on the Day after Thanksgiving (3 years ago) so I have been there and know how it can effect you...... You'll be OK.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

an amazing likeness

Wishing you the best Slaptear2, keep the big picture in mind when (and if) possible...control what you can, and don't let what you can't control you. This is just a short period of setback for your running and fitness, you'll bounce back.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

De-slacking in progress

Hang in there Slap, hope things take a turn for the better soon.
              I DO have a positive attitude.That's just my nature. Feels great to be back out running again- just sucks that we were eating poorly during all that house work and I let myself go. We've been talking about selling the house for awhile anyway, as the seven acres of mowing and two hours of weed eating a week is a big commitment. But we do love the peace and quiet of our country living-no neighbors- pitch black at night and critters everywhere. However, being in manufacturing management all my life I need to be mobile to be able to move elsewhere IF NEEDED for any great job opportunity. Ohio isn't exactly the land of plenty right now. My brother lives near Ft Worth and is trying to hook me up with a job where he's at. Maybe a change of scenery would be nice. However, I am a Midwestern true and true. If I get a job around here, no problem, we'll stay as all my family (except my children) live here. We are very family orientated and it would suck to move away from my roots. I've applied for some great jobs in Tenn. also I wouldn't mind having. Beautiful down there also- sort like where I live in Eastern Ohio but a tad bit warmer. So whatever the good Lord has in store for us- I'm ready. Being off for three months+ does stink financially, but I need a vacation- I've been so busy from sun up to sun down looking for work and being a house husband to our empty nest. I actually told my wife that when I do get my next job that we need to take a short vacation to the ocean in S.C BEFORE I start as I won't be able to take a vacation for the first six months of my new job. Anyhow- gotta get the weight back off and my mileage back up smartly and safely.Cool

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14