VA Beach Rock-n-Roll Half (Read 502 times)

Anyone else doing this? It's my first half marathon and I'm dreading running it alone. I've only done one 10k and two 5ks and I had my sister-in-law to run with, but this time I'm going it alone. My husband is running it but his goal is to finish in an hour and a half (and he will). Clearly we won't be running it together, as my goal is to crawl across the finish line whenever I get there! If you're slow like me and you want someone to start the race with, let me know!
    va

Hi Lisa, I recently signed-up for the Patrick Henry Half which is on 8/25. Are you familiar with it? It's 15 minutes north of Richmond. It starts in Poor Farm Park in Hanover, and passes through Ashland. It looks like well organized race, and is a little more convenient for me than the Rock n' Roll Half. I am also planning to run the Buck Mountain Half on 10/13 which is on a scenic course near Charlottesville and am also looking at the Danville Half on 9/8 (this is apparently a new flat course).
        Stephen, No, I haven't heard of any of those, but remember I'm new to all this! I would like to look into some races around Charlottesville, since that's just as close as Richmond to me (we usually do things in Richmond, but I like Charlottesville much more, really). The VA Beach half isn't convenient for us either -- we have to get a hotel and all that -- but my husband liked it last year and wanted to do it again, so I signed up. Do you ever do any races around Richmond? We're probably signing up for the Maymont 5k in October and I believe they do a half that day as well -- I think it's a pretty scenic run for being downtown, because it's in a nice park. We may sign up for the Ntelos 8k that happens on the same day as the Suntrust Marathon in November. Other than those and a local race in my town, I don't know what I'll sign up for. I'll look into the ones you mentioned, but God knows I won't be ready for another half anytime soon. Do you do the Monument 10k in March/April? That's a big one for Richmond, and it was my first race. Good times.
        va

Since there are a lot of races available around Charlottesville, I haven't gone to Richmond for any, but will be there for the marathon. The biggest race in Charlottesville, is the 10 Miler, which runs in March. You should definitely consider it for next year. It is well run, and has a party-like atmosphere, with lots of fan support. I think this year it may have run on the same day as the Monument 10K. Btw, you can find the Cville races listed here.
            The biggest race in Charlottesville, is the 10 Miler, which runs in March. You should definitely consider it for next year. It is well run, and has a party-like atmosphere, with lots of fan support.
            I agree completely Big grin The C-ville 10 miler is my favorite race. I'm planning to run the C-ville Women's 4 miler for the first time Labor Day weekend. And I registered for the Danville 1/2 marathon last week - it looks like it will be a very nice race since it's on a paved greenway (shade!). I've run the Va Beach RnR 1/2 a couple of times and just decided that it's not worth it - it's gotten too big, it can be really hot and there's no shade on the boardwalk.
              it can be really hot and there's no shade on the boardwalk.
              That's what I'm worried about. My husband said the last two or three miles are in full-on sun beating down on you. Ack! I'll probably die.
                I'm sure you'll make it Lisa Smile