Girls night out tonight- long run tomorrow (Read 866 times)

Kimmie

I'm debating on how to handle this tonight. I do not run as well if I have had anything to drink the night before. I'm talking even one beer. I don't know why. I'm guessing that it's a dehydration thing, but I do feel like I have a ton of water. Tomorrow is an 18 miler scheduled with my running group at 6:30 a.m. It would be much better to run with the group and I can't do it on Sunday. So, my choices are: 1. Drink. Stay up late and struggle through the run tomorrow with my running group. (if I can even finish the 18 miles) 2. Go, but don't drink alcohol, possibly leave early and have a more successful run in the morning. 3. Drink, stay up late, sleep in and run the 18 miles when it's 90 degrees out. I could blow off the evening all together, but it's the first time going out with this group of girls, and I'd like to go. so, what would you do? Where's my party people at? Any help? Smile thanks! If I was super disciplined I guess the answer would be easy. But I'm not. Smile I want to have my cake and eat it too. ( or have my beer and my good run)
    redleaf

Maybe just be sure you drink lots of water tonight as well. Beer dehydrates right so for every pint of beer have a pint of water (basically my college cure for never having a hangover) Have fun! and Run!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I'm gonna go with... 2. Go, but don't drink alcohol, possibly leave early and have a more successful run in the morning. Bob

Run the race God set B4U

I'm probably the odd one here, I don't drink. I do have girl's nights though, but I have fun without drinking Big grin...anyway, I would say go with #2. I bet you would still have lots of fun!!!!!!
          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
            Definately #2. I think there's been some studies somewhere that say lack of sleep doesn't really affect ones performance significantly... just sayin' what I think I've read... not trying to be a troll! You can run through tiredness... can't run through dehydration/hangover!
              Ah, the lament of marathon training. When I have something like this come up I make sure I tell people in advance that I won't be drinking and that I'll be leaving early. So far nobody has given me any trouble out of it and I get to have my cake and eat it too!!
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Sleep has a lag of about 36 hours, so if you miss a little tonight it won't matter as much as if you missed it last night for tomorrow morning's run. If 1 beer lays you out for the next day's run, then I'd recommend avoiding the alcohol. For myself, I'd probably go with 1 or 2 beers and a lot of water, but I know that I won't really be affected the next day by it so I have that option. (That, and I rarely have more than 1 or 2 beers at a time anyway.)

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lia's Daddy

OK, I'll be the voice of reason. Go out, PARTY, have a great time. Friendships are way more important than any single run. Switch up your long run to Sunday and do a light run tomorrow just to detox if that's an option. This might not be the most popular response on this board but I believe in being flexible and also put a high priority on hanging out with friends.
                  "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                    I'm always more affected by rest than booze, so my 2 cents: Have one beer or good glass of wine (if available) but definitely hydrate and set a "pumpkin" time - if you miss it you can always nap AFTER your long run

Recalculating...

I'm an all or nothing type of person so, it's either don't go or go PARTY. My present mindset would cause me to skip the party.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm always more affected by rest than booze, so my 2 cents: Have one beer or good glass of wine (if available) but definitely hydrate and set a "pumpkin" time - if you miss it you can always nap AFTER your long run
                        I like this option.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

I'm debating on how to handle this tonight. I do not run as well if I have had anything to drink the night before. I'm talking even one beer. I don't know why. I'm guessing that it's a dehydration thing, but I do feel like I have a ton of water. Tomorrow is an 18 miler scheduled with my running group at 6:30 a.m. It would be much better to run with the group and I can't do it on Sunday. So, my choices are: 1. Drink. Stay up late and struggle through the run tomorrow with my running group. (if I can even finish the 18 miles) 2. Go, but don't drink alcohol, possibly leave early and have a more successful run in the morning. 3. Drink, stay up late, sleep in and run the 18 miles when it's 90 degrees out. I could blow off the evening all together, but it's the first time going out with this group of girls, and I'd like to go. so, what would you do? ONCE ... in January (COLD) up until 3am, drinking, doing karoke, had a blast - my sister's party -couldn't miss it and glad I didn't. Slept 3hrs ... had a 20 miler to do. It was definately the hardest & most painful 20 miler of my life. I will never forget it. I can't even believe my body held up. I wouldn't advise it but I did survive it. However, I don't think I will ever do that again. Even going to bed at midnight & pounding a large gatorade & bottle of water would make it more do-able. Probably won't be a stella performance but life is sometimes about fitting all the important things we need/want to do in!!! Good luck! Where's my party people at? Any help? Smile thanks! If I was super disciplined I guess the answer would be easy. But I'm not. Smile I want to have my cake and eat it too. ( or have my beer and my good run)

peace

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

#1. Definitely. But the, I am known to be an instigator of evil. Evil grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I vote #1. I'm with runningwild, friendships are one of the few things I'm okay skipping runs for. Especially if it's people I want to see and haven't seen in a while.
                              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

#2 gets my vote. Running with a group makes 18 miles go much easier. If, 18 can be easy Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/