Marathon pace training runs...did you hit the pace on race day? (Read 656 times)

better or worse? how far was your longest MP run? During the last 15 weeks, I've run 5 20 milers, a 21 miler, a 22 miler, a 23 miler, and a 50k race. I sprinkled in some MP miles in a few of those. The only real long run I've done at MP was 16miles at 7:44 pace. I really felt like I could have held that comfortably, for at least another hour. Just wondering how most people perform on race day compared to their training. yes. I'm tapering and crunching numbers

Jennifer mm#1231

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ran 10sec/mi faster than my intended race pace on my recent mara -- b/c I had to go faster than that for 6mi or so to catch up to the target pace balloon guy, and by then I decided I was enjoying it and would rather keep going faster than target pace. 2weeks before mara I ran a 10mi race at 1:30min/mi below target MP - with strong finish (and added some slow miles a little later to make 20 total). 3weeks before mara I ran a 16mi race at 25sec/mi below target MP - with strong finish (and added some slow miles a little later to make 20 total). 4weeks before mara I ran 18mi at MP+30sec/mi. I don't think I did any 20+milers (that is why I added distance to the races above, to at least achieve discontiguous 20mile days). No moral here, just tossing out some numbers cause you kind of asked. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

better or worse?
        Better. And I never had a decent MP run for my first marathon. I think a lot of races played that role. It's a race. The pace should feel easy even though it's 30-40 seconds faster than your easy run pace.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

A Saucy Wench

I didnt do nearly as many as I wanted. 11 miles was my longest, the day before my last long run. And I hadnt done any in 2 months before that. Something kept coming up and I was to tired or my running p was too tired. I remember that one seeming fairly easy, but most of the other attempts at a pace run seeming difficult. Even short ones which seemed odd since I had run a HM quite a bit faster. I just have a hard time pushing myself in training. Didnt seem to matter. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

Almost dead on. I think figuring out MP in training is one of the most difficult things about training. As my fitness improved, it seemed to be a constant guessing game. In the end, I ran one 20 miler at an 8:22 pace and had an 8:23 pace for my marathon. In my fast 20, I felt like I could've held it for another 6. On race day, I went a bit faster (8:15 or thereabouts) and crashed pretty good at mile 25, losing nearly 3 minutes over the last 2 miles. In retrospect, I should've probably gone out just a bit slower and tried to negative split it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

mikeymike

You'll drive yourself nuts. You can't isolate your longest MP run from the rest of your training and take any meaning from it and everyone's experience will be totally different. (But to answer the question, my longest MP run was a 30k race that I ran at 6:30 pace and I wound up running the marathon at 6:28 pace.)

Runners run

better or worse? ... how far was your longest MP run?
                Better (1st marathon 31.7 years ago) No real MP run but 3x 7mi @ 8:00 pace with 4 min hydration/potty breaks in between. Marathon 20 mi @ 7:55 pace, last 6.2mi @ 6:30 pace. Better (PR marathon 30 years ago, age 40.5) No real MP run at all, 40 mile training run @ 8:35 pace, a few 10-12 milers @ 7:15 - 7:30 pace Marathon - very steady 6:45 pace. You should do great. Your training is similar to what mine was, but you have more consistent mpw and more long runs.
                  Thank you for answering and feeding my crazy.
                  You'll drive yourself nuts.
                  BINGO yes...I feel like I've spent this entire training season focusing on staying slow/scared of re-injury, that now I doubt my ability to remember a fast pace. It'll just be what it is, I guess. In fact, so fearful am I of re-injury before race day, I'm going to completely ignore the speed sessions on the schedule these last 2 weeks. 2 weeks out and I'm completely healthy, which is more than I can say for my last two marathons in April and June. This race will be redemption of sorts. I'm antsy.

Jennifer mm#1231

Sounds like you got 'taper madness' ! You've done some great mileage there. Well done Smile It'll all come together on the day for you. I did the same and incorporated some miles @ MP towards the end of my long runs and managed to get a sub 3 at London and a neg split. Bit of speedwork helps too. good luck.

5K PR 16:34 10K 33:17 10M 55:54 Half 1:13:22 Mara 2:40:14