New Shoes or Wear Same Old Crappy Ones for Marathon (Read 2168 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Should I be rotating a different  type/brand shoe instead of the same shoe /brand . I tend to buy 2 pair at a time. Motion control Asics 2100 series.

you mean to say you've never rotate different types of shoes?  Rotating shoes would do so much more than just simply allowing them to last longer. 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A recent discussion about shoe rotation HERE.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It is hard for me to imagine anybody just running and running and running in the same bloody pairs over 1000 miles--you mean to say you've never rotate different types of shoes?  Rotating shoes would do so much more than just simply allowing them to last longer.

Yeah, I usually only wear a single pair of shoes once or twice a week and rotate between a lot of different pairs (I have a few each for trails and roads plus I mix in barefoot runs.)

My 1200 mile shoes just happen to have been around for a long time and are still quite comfortable. Smile

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Should I be rotating a different  type/brand shoe instead of the same shoe /brand . I tend to buy 2 pair at a time. Motion control Asics 2100 series.

Yes, I would.  I mean, you can't wear red shoes when you're wearing green shorts!! ;o)

Cross country (as Run to Win also indicated), road, trail...it's all different types of running surfaces.  Hot weather and cold weather would make the difference.  Icy surface vs. snowy surface (yeah, believe it or not, they are different).

The trick is; you have one pair of feet--they have their own unique "shape".  You need to find the shoe that fits this "shape" cuz there are tons of weird shapes out there--some don't even look like human feet!!  THEN you need to find the shoes with different thickness, different texture (hardness or softness of rubber)...  Hell, I have 2 different sizes for my favorites shoes--one for winter when I wear thicker socks!  Actually, a half a size difference won't quite cut it with thicker or thinner socks so I actually replaced the insole with slightly thicker insole so the sizing feels more like 9.5 vs. 9.75 instead of 10.

Buy 2 pairs at a time--great.  I would do that too (if my wife allows me!!) and rotate that way.  But it also pays to rotate different kinds of shoes as well--maybe not so much brand; I don't think it's necessary to switch brand--you CAN.  But not necessarily.

Yeah, I usually only wear a single pair of shoes once or twice a week and rotate between a lot of different pairs (I have a few each for trails and roads plus I mix in barefoot runs.)

My 1200 mile shoes just happen to have been around for a long time and are still quite comfortable. Smile

Chances are, and I'm not sure but I'm guessing, as fast as you run, I'm pretty sure you're quite light on your feet.  And I'd imagine you're lighter frame rather than heavy-built.  So 1200 miles with lighter person with lighter footing would be quite a bit different from someone who lands heavy on their feet, carrying 195 pourds.  And also, if you're really light on your feet and, I don't know if you're a minimalist or not, if you can afford to run in minimalist type of shoes, chances are; those old beaten up shoes might even feel more comfortable because the rubber is compressed just the way you'd want it to be.  I've seen the hand-built shoe Steve Hoag wore to his second place Boston marathon in 1975 behind Bill Rodgers.  They are thinner than any available shoes in the market today and quite a bit harder (granted, the rubber is 35 years old!)--something very much like one of those spikeless XC spike shoes (which, by the way, I do wear sometimes on the trail and run upto 1:45).  He did alright--ran 2:11.  I ran into him at Roy Griak XC a few weeks ago and I was twittering.  But I didn't have the stats and he didn't either.  So I called up my friend and asked her to google search.  His time back in 1975 is still a few spots over the 100th best US time; and would have been the 6th American best time in the marathon in 2009.  Pretty impressive.

Cool Jump Suit

Wow!  Thanks for chiming in Nobby.  Lots of great advice.  To be honest I never thought too much about shoe rotation.  I always have had the mentality I had when I was a kid.....wear the same shoe until they are worn out....then switch.  I have worn the same shoe on every run for the last 9+ months. 

My shoes are worn a bit.....you know, the tread & stuff, but they are not bad.  Every now and again I will step on a small rock and it does hurt my foot, but I deal with it.

Unfortunately, my wife just purchased a new computer last week and it ate up my loose change (ha ha).  So, don't have a lot of $$ for new shoes now.  However, I did just take third in my age group this past weekend at a race.  I am due a small gift certificate to a local running store.  Maybe something will work out.

Thanks again to everyone.  I am what you would call a "dense runner".  Joking

So bittersweet,
              This tragedy
              Won't ask for absolution;
              This melody,
              Inside of me,
              Still searches for solution.
              A twist of faith,
              A change of heart
              Cures my infatuation.
              A broken heart, 
              Provides the spark
              For my determination.

Chances are, and I'm not sure but I'm guessing, as fast as you run, I'm pretty sure you're quite light on your feet.  And I'd imagine you're lighter frame rather than heavy-built.  So 1200 miles with lighter person with lighter footing would be quite a bit different from someone who lands heavy on their feet, carrying 195 pourds.  And also, if you're really light on your feet and, I don't know if you're a minimalist or not, if you can afford to run in minimalist type of shoes, chances are; those old beaten up shoes might even feel more comfortable because the rubber is compressed just the way you'd want it to be. 

Got it in one. Smile

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xhristopher

I have less than 2 wks before a marathon and I really think I need new shoes.  Not really sure if it is too soon before the race to buy or not.  But I have milked my currently shoes fore just about all I can.   I think the soles are worn out...

So, better to buy new shoes and hope they work for me OK  or  wear the old shoes and just deal with it??  Confused

So, how did the shoes workout?