Need a Nike shoe recommendation please.... (Read 120 times)

I need to wear a pair of Nike shoes for an upcoming race (for pacing reasons).   For the last eight years I've either worn Brooks Ghost's or Asics Nimbus' -  I pretty much have a neutral foot.

So I am hoping somebody else out their can offer a suggestion on this.  I realize I can go online and read reviews and go to local running store etc., however, I would rather hear from fellow runners that have run in either the Brooks or Asics and also have a Nike recommendation.

Caleb R

I have run in some Asics shoes in the past but have recently switched to the Nike Lunarglide series. I would recommend getting anything from the Lunarglide 4's and up. I'm currently about to get the Lunarglide 6's. This series have been some of my favorite so I highly recommend it Smile Hope I was some help.

Evolving body parts

I used to run exclusively in Asics Nimbuses for many years (maybe five years). After struggling for a long time with Adidas & NB, when switched to the Nimbus, I was convinced that I've found the holy grail of footware. The perfect shoe. That how much it was the perfect size and cushioning etc. (The Adidas & NB are obviously not for my shape of foot.)

I've been experimenting with Nike shoes and they all felt narrow and uncomfortable. Until I tried on the Nike Free 5.0.

* It is said to be a transitional minimalist shoe / barefoot running. It gave me no trouble at all with the smaller sole drop.

* It is super comfortable, like a big sock that allows my toes to spread and the heel is fantastic - no tear & wear inside like on the robust Numbus

* It's light, which is very good, but you do feel the rocks and terrain more - it's mainly for road surfaces. I run in them on non-technical trails, though. No tracktion on wet rocks.

* I've run up to half marathon distances in them and it gave me absolutely no troubles. In the Asics, my feet tended to be more sore after a long run, because they are much more rigid.

* I have to use 1 FULL SIZE LARGER as compared to the Asics (which is more true to size) and it's perfect (US 13 to 14)

Long story short, I'm converted from Nimbus to Free's so much so that when I occasionally put on the Nimbus, they feet like heavy boots hurting my toes. Okay, I admit that the Nimbus 9-12 were much better than the 13, which is noticeably worse even without having run in the Free's.

I am now stocked up on Nike Free's, and use an Asics Trabuco for difficult trails for the time being. You can get some very good deals on the Free in online stores.

mikeymike

Pegasus.

Runners run

+1.

Especially if  you are a neutral runner.

Pegasus.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

nike dart 9's--- toughest shoe ever.  I have over 1050miles from running on them and about 150 hiking miles. they are discontinued but you may find some online

nike flexrun 2013's   very light and very fast.  feels good but little padding if you need that. I have around 600 miles on them and only wear is my sole on the foot palm area.  only complaint is that the bottom sole design picks up tons of little pebbles if you run on a trail or path.

nike downshifter 5's  they seem to be ok so far. much more narrow than the above shoes so be careful of that.  I have had a tiny bit of outer foot pain because of this, unlike the other shoes.  Hoping that as I break them in harder they will get more comfy.  I only have about 40 miles on these so far.

Theses nikes have been really durable and tough so far,  I will see how these downshifters go.  They were a little cheaper than the other 2 pairs.  Good luck on your shoe search

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

kaleidoscopeEyes

I'm neutral and have also wear Asics Nimbus (and Cumulus) and Brooks Glycerin.

When I go Nike, it's always Pegasus.  I agree with the previous poster that they tend to fit on the narrower/smaller side, though (and they aren't as consistent from year to year as other shoes I've tried).