running podcast suggestions (Read 1337 times)

Marathonmanleto

Have been listening to Phedippidations podcasts for a while and really enjoy. Steve Runner is great and I enjoy his often informative and motivational stories, but I'm ready to branch out. What else are you listening to? Confused
      Check out Endurance & Nutrition Podcast with Dave Scott (enduranceandnutrition.com). Dave Scott is a 6 time winner of the Ironman World Championship. It is a 4 part series covering fueling during 1) training, 2) pre-race, 3) race day, and 4) recovery. It falls under the informative heading and I found the post race recovery talk the most useful. Anyone out there trying to lose weight (and there are a lot of you out there) should listen to the post race recovery episode.

Imminent Catastrophe

I really like the Phedippidations podcast (hard to spell, though). Others I've recently discovered are The Competitors Radio Show (entertaining interviews with endurance athletes) and Fitness Rocks (no-nonsense health, fitness and nutrition info by an M.D.) The Competitors Radio Show recently had interviews with Jon Blais, an Ironman who finished the Hawaii Ironman despite having ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and Danelle Ballengee, the trailrunner who fell down a canyon on a training run and was saved by her dog. If those stories don't inspire you, nothing will.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I usually like podcasts anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes in length. Podcasts I listen to. Stories http://www.thislife.org This American Life (usually do not do those running) Investing & Entrepreneur www.fundadvice.com www.venturevoice.com www.vanguard.com Christian http://cp.blogs.com/ www.intouch.org www.coralridge.org Technology Based www.Revision3.com (Diggnation) www.twit.com (This week in Tech) www.nerdtv.org Fitness www.thatsfit.com --> have not listened to yet

Vim

marathonmanleto, What other types of training are you doing?

Vim

Marathonmanleto

Weights--must lift to run.
                I pretty much just jog, but I need to start adding some sort of strength training. Occasionally, I do curls, i-curls, and overhead lifts with 30LB dumbbells. What kind of weight lifting do you do? I'd want a simple set up that does not take much room.

Vim

Have you seen the new site Ford is sponsoring, along with some of the fitness mags? It's www.getanedge.com, and the focus is on triathlon and related training. You enter a bit of info and they generate a workout plan for you, including strength training and cardio. It was very user-friendly and easy to customize (asked what days and how often I wanted to do each, which eqpt I have access to, preferred exercises, etc.)
                  I have not run in vain nor labored in vain.... You must run in such a way that you may be victorious. --Paul, Phil 2:16, 1Cor 9:24

Marathonmanleto

I do a whole body workout using free weights and cable machines. Usually 4 sets of pretty high reps 12-20. One excercise per muscle group and very little time as a rest interval. I do this at a gym and my entire workout can be done in 30 minutes. You might try using a personal trainer for a while. They can set you up with a routine based on your needs. After a time you should feel comfortable enough to train on your own. good luck!
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What kind of weight lifting do you do? I'd want a simple set up that does not take much room.
                      I really like Cathe Friedrich's workouts (Muscle Max is my fave, but I have recently purchased her Max. Intensity Strength/Power Hour DVD on eBay...there is also a step workout on there, but I don't have the space or coordination for that). I also am limited on room, so her stuff works well. I have a step that is used for leg work, as a bench press, and for reverse push-ups, a stability ball, resistance band, various weights of dumbells, and a 5# barbell with 35#s worth of plates (up to 75#s can be used). I get a killer workout with relatively inexpensive equipment that takes up minimal space. Good DOMS workouts--she doesn't mess around! And my arms are starting to get some serious definition, too. I will be wearing lots of sleeveless tops this Summer! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bump.. Anyone have other running related podcasts to list? Ones I have seen... not vouching for content and one is mentioned above. Phidippidations RunRunLive 2.0 Two Gomers Run a Half Marathon (if you can get by all their hilarity over themselves....) Kelownagurl Tris Podcast
                            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                            Bike99

Do I look important?

Zen and the Art of Triathlon is awesome, though not just about running. He takes the mic out for runs, races, bikes, and has interviews thrown in too. http://texafornia.squarespace.com/ Competitor Radio http://www.competitorradio.com/ Alan Watts http://www.alanwattspodcast.com/ (more philosophy but it breaks up my mind on the long runs)

Nobody cares what you didn't do.

redleaf

I like PodRunner. http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html
                                This may be a dumb question and if it is I am sorry -- but how do I know how many bpm I run? I am pokey-slow and I also have short-ish strides. Thanks.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362