Am I Capable of More? (Read 1159 times)

When I got my miles consistantly up to ~ 40-50 mpw Mcmillan predictions started to be close. Before that no. And I usually train on the very slow end of the paces they give me...or slower.
    I generally train towards the slower end too, epecially on my easy days. I will also repeat the major cumulative effect from being consistent over an extended period. In my first year of resuming serious training that began just before I turned 59, I ran just over 2000 miles. The next year was closer to 2200, and in 2007 I ran more than 2700 miles. This year I'm on pace to run 3000 miles. As the 2nd year came to a close I thought things had gotten about as good as they were going to. I'm a realist and realized that age will eventually slow all of us down. However, I began to run faster than I thought possible for me at my age. That cumulative affect really started paying off beginning in the 2nd half of last year--my 3rd year since beginning the push. More recently I've run the last 5k of half marathons within 10-15 seconds of my 5k PR of a couple years ago. This is something to consider, especially for those who think they are too old to expect much improvement. I have some veteran runner friends who have had similar experiences recently after increasing the amount of time they spent running. I believe that most runners can get the same type of results if they are willing and able to commit the time and energy.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Feeling the growl again

At around 40-50 mpw, my 2:39 last weekend roughly matches up with the shorter predictions from McMillan. When I was running 70-100 mpw, I consistently out-performed that calculator my margins directly correlated with mpw. As for pace, screw the exact number and go easy when you are supposed to go easy. Sure it may be 8:15 one day and 8:45 the next. Honestly it won't impact your performance that much if you are consistently a little on the slow side (within reason). Going too fast can spank you though and hinder recovery. If it feels to hard one day, it probably is. When I was training at my limits I'd go out for a 10-mile morning run. I'd start with about 7:30 for the first mile and was doing 6:30 at the end, all without changing effort. BTW, welcome to Indiana -- too hot to train in the summer and too cold/windy to keep your fingers in the winter.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

I see a consensus forming.
        A consensus? Here? NEVAH!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Yes. Indiana. That sounds like it sums it up. Of course, I am just happy that things are consistent with the weather here. When it starts getting cold, it continues getting colder. I'm originally from Tennessee - where if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour. Mileage increase - check. Pacing by feel - check. Winning a marathon - ....wait, lets just PR next year. Thanks for all of the awesome replies thus far guys.
            I don't mean to sound snotty or arregant but... There are tons of people out there with lots of potential. Very few actually put in necessary effort to fulfill it. Everybody wants something cool; very few actually work for it. Great physical talent equates ZERO when there's no heart in it. Lorraine Moller said it's 100% physical and 100% mental. I like that. Even 100% physical talent comes out as big fat ZERO when there's no heart in it (100% X 0% = 0%). Will to win means nothing without will to prepare. If you're a young paster who works with youngsters, you should remember that and think about maybe conveying that message to them and what's better than you actually "doing it"?
              How did cross training with biking help out sparky?
              Not really the one to ask that... while I did X-train during periods of injury, or percieved injury, I never stuck with any X-training activity consistently. I've heard through the grapevine though that biking can help one's hills climbing ability. Thus being said, I think running hills would be the best for training this. In the words of many with greater wisdom than I, "To get better at running, you have to run." X-training doesn't substitute!

Bugs

We all should believe we are capable of more. You have a very good 5K time, much faster than me, but we run close to the same marathon time. I'm surprised you're not asking how to improve instead of can I, so I'd get past that quickly and move on to the how.

Bugs

We all should believe we are capable of more. You have a very good 5K time, much faster than me, but we run close to the same marathon time. I'm surprised you're not asking how to improve instead of can I, so I'd get past that quickly and move on to the how.
                  I think the thing that we established - some would call it a consensus Wink - I need to ramp up my base. I have about 8.5 weeks until an 18 week program would start.If I were to hit long runs the way I should, I would have no problem doing about 35-40 mpw right now. Just going to work on that base between now and then. I also aim on running a four miler on December 7, so I wanna see how increasing my mileage will help me on that one.
                    your 5k time has me... by a bit... you are about 10 years younger than me too... you can look back at my log from this spring and see the miles I put in... especially back in april. If you look before that I was running very similar milage to you. I ran 3:38:50 in Cleveland. Just putting in more miles and slow miles at that will help... I'll second the 50+ miles a week doing wonders thing!
                      I see a consensus forming.
                      I completely disagree.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Why is it sideways?

I completely disagree.
                        Screw you. Asshat.
                        milkbaby

makers, miles help make champions... Obviously it's not the only factor, but in marathoning, it IS important. My 5k PR is way slower than yours, only 20:46 to your 20:18. However, my marathon PR is 3:14, and I'm planning to run about 3:10 in a couple of weeks. Just keep running, up your mileage gradually over time. It doesn't have to be in a single shot. In fact, to increase your mileage too much in a short time is a good way to get injured. But if you can increase it gradually over a few years, you will see the payoff in faster marathon times! Make the long term investment and you'll see a nice return a few years down the line. Running is much more reliable than the stock market... Smile
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Well, I am totally pumped about all the awesome replies I have gotten today. It turned my 5 miler today into a 6 miler. It made me run faster than anticipated. It also made me want to take tomorrow off because I am worn out... Nonetheless, I am committed to the next 8 weeks increasing my mileage each week. I figure if I am hitting out 30 mpw easily right now, then by Dec 22 (18 weeks from CMM 09) I can increase to about 45 mpw. Is this a logical jump, or is that too much for my body. I figured by increasing no more than 10% a week, and taking into account an easier week every three weeks or so that this would put me there comfortably. Once I hit that, I figure I could adjust a training plan according to that base. Within that, I would also like to hit my comfortable training zones, especially relying on heart rate, so as to know what is optimal for me and where my body not only feels the best, but what that looks like according to the Garmin. What is one of the best tests to find out my Max HR so I can adjust accordingly? Anyways, again, thanks a lot for all the positive encouragement. Not a single person offended be. I guess this is the part where I am just supposed to HTFU, right?
                              Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Makers, I have been reading this thread with great interest. You are round about where I am at the moment. Training for a spring marathon (my first) and currently ramping up the miles. I have been running for about 18months after a long lay off, although I was never that serious before. My mileaage has been in the mid twenties, peaking around 35 in the summer. I hope to hit 50 miles by Christmas and then, like yourself will start a more structured programme. I, 4/5 weeks into my base phase now and should hit 45 miles next week. Im adding a few miles each week and stepping back every 4th week. I have set myself an almighty challenge of going sub 3hrs for my marathon but this will remain under review until the day of the marathon. I am very competitive and I really want to give it my best shot. I will keep an eye on your progress. Good Luck!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!