2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

Swim5599

3DB way to get that one into the house.  Locked up

the ole Boston 1/1

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

iamdisappoint

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
      Mon 9.9 7:48 Morning Run 139 (71%) 134 strava
      Mon 1.2 7:51 Evening Run 138 (71%) 36 strava
      Mon 3.9 7:52 Evening Run 141 (72%) 82 strava
      Tue 13.8 6:53 3E, 8x(5m 265-270W, 3m jog) 150 (77%) 265 strava
      Tue 6.5 6:36 2E, 3 target 255-260W, jog 156 (80%) 88 strava
      Wed 10.9 7:28 Morning Run 143 (73%) 423 strava
      Thu 13.1 6:41 3E, 4x(11m 257-261W, 3m jog) 157 (81%) 288 strava
      Fri 10.5 7:47 Morning Run 139 (71%) 439 strava
      Sat 25.4 6:30 1h45m steady, 50m 247-257W 157 (81%) 606 strava
      Sun 11.0 7:40 Morning Run 137 (70%) 429 strava
        106.2 7:07     2790  

I was worried about crashing mid-week, but held it together and finished off the week well. My legs were semi-compliant on Tuesday morning, but pretty beat up after the morning workout. This week the reps in that went from 7 -> 8, and the last one was pretty tough. 1 mile into the fast part of the Tuesday PM workout I thought I was going to fail to hit the target, but managed to find another gear and hold onto it. (When debriefing it with coach later in the week, he asked "do you realize that you had a 18:30 5k in the middle of your 2nd workout on Tuesday?" I of course did not.) 

I felt really dead-legged on Thursday, and told coach I was fried after that one. He had a look at the data and sent this back:

"4x11 Last week RE 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04. Power: 257 260 260 261. This week: RE 1.03 1.04 1.03 1.03. Power: 262 264 262 261 !!!

So yes, fatigue consistent with where you are in the training cycle. However, great numbers. Really work on the recovery - sleep, easy running."

We agreed that I'd try to get a lot of sleep over the next couple of days and reassess after my LR. I managed to get like 9 hours of sleep Fri -> Sat (all the cool kids go to bed at 8:45 on Friday night, right?), and I did feel much better on Saturday morning. I made pretty much the same mistake as in last week's LR, where I ran the initial part on the faster side of sporty (I almost certainly shouldn't be dropping a 1:28 HM as the warmup of a LR, but here we are). Again, I thought I was going to pay for it during the W/O parts, but managed to hold on really well even when it got uncomfortable. My garmin told me afterwards that the LR had a 1:21Tight lipped HM and a 37:10 10k in it ... which was unexpected, to say the least.

I felt surprisingly OK this morning. I put a calendar reminder for this Thursday that says "you feel like shite. you'll be OK".

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

IAM - Huge week as always and I enjoy reading your feedback rather than just looking at the numbers!

Swim - You’re running Richmond as well?....stick with IAM as you’ve got the ability to race the same or better than him. Don’t sell yourself short!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

ThreeDB - Awesome race.  I'm looking forward to hear about it.

IAM - Another monster week.  What's the plan leading up to the race?  Tapering at all?

My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Date Distance Pace Comment  

Mon Oct 16 

8:04 

Morning Run 

strava 

Tue Oct 17 

7:47 

Shirt? 

strava 

Wed Oct 18 

7:00 

6 between HMP and MP 

strava 

Thu Oct 19 

8:34 

Morning Run 

strava 

Thu Oct 19 

8:23 

Afternoon Treadmill Run 

strava 

Fri Oct 20 

7:23 

Morning Treadmill Run 

strava 

Sat Oct 21 

7:47 

Morning Run 

strava 

Sun Oct 22 

7:58 

Stupid Treadmill 

strava 
          Summary:

7:49

I skipped out on doing track work Tuesday afternoon since my calves were still rather sore - I guess from the half race 10 days earlier???  I then decided on a relatively easy 6 mile tempo at something faster than MP, but slower than HMP.  I thought the effort was about right, and the pace seemed about right, but looking at the HR data after, it seems like I went a little easy--my HR never really got up to MP HR.

Next weekend is looking like it'll be good weather, with a front blowing in Friday night.  There's a 5k on Saturday that's fast with fast runners, and then a decent half marathon on Sunday.  I'm leaning towards the 5k.  I really want to break 17 this year.  It won't happen this weekend, but the more races I can get, the better my chances that it will happen.  I'll race a few more 5k's in November.  But I'm also not thrilled with my half performance from two weeks ago, so it would be kind of nice to get a redo when I'm not getting over a sickness.  Not sure what to do!

Upcoming races: Boston

Swim5599

IAM just silly good week.  The crash taper s going to be awesome for you.

Andres big week buddy looks good

mikkey i am running Richmond as well.

112 total this week with a massive sesh Tue

mon 10 with strides 7:34

Tue 22.5 with 3x5 mile marathon sim with some strict instructions

rep 1 build into it 1-3 then settle in avg 6:27

rep 2 mid race grind avg d 6:19

rep 3 steady 1-3 and then let it rip.  Avg d 6:14 and closed in 5:57 which up here is moving pretty good.  All that adds up to 15 miles at 6:20 at 7000 ft

Wed am 12 7:53

Pm 5.5 8:07

Thurs 14 7:29

fri am 9 with strides 7:34

Pm 4 8:05

sat 22.30 in 2:40 marathon duration run 7:10 .25 cool

Sun 12 7:51

3 weeks to go

3DB: Great race today!  Congrats on the excellent time.

IAM: Tremendous week (as usual). That long run is a beaut. Getting some extra sleep Friday night seems to have paid off well!

Andres: Nice looking 6 mile tempo. I think you should do the 5k race; that's what you wanted to go after this fall and as you said, the more races you do the more chances to break 17. You might surprise yourself how close you already are to that.

Swim: Amazing week and that 15 @ 6:20, at that altitude, is incredible; great job!

After a couple weeks of little running I got back at it this week. My primary goal for the next 4-6 weeks is to break 18 in the 5k, whether by a time trial on the track or in a road race. I had a decent track session Wednesday. I would like to get to a 5:40 avg pace for the 1600s eventually, so a 5:45 average for the first track workout was a decent starting point. My son wanted to do a mile time trial and get under 6 minutes (he ran a 6:03 this summer), so we went yesterday to the track and did a sort of dual time trial. I gave him a 200m head start, figuring that might put us about even at the end. 200m was too much: he ran a 5:47 and was about 50m ahead of me when he finished!  I ran a painful 5:16.9. Despite the pain I want to give it another try and see what I can do. I figure these short time trials can only help 5k performance.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
              Tue 10.1 8:17 Morning Run (31 deg F !!) 571 strava
              Wed 2.1 8:47 Warmup 0 strava
              Wed 6.1 6:26 5 x 1600m (5:45, 5:49, 5:45, 5:45, 5:41), 400m recovery 0 strava
              Wed 2.1 8:02 Cooldown 0 strava
              Thu 13.0 8:07 Morning Run 678 strava
              Sat 2.1 8:16 Warmup 0 strava
              Sat 1.0 5:20 1600m time trial (5:16.9) 0 strava
              Sat 2.1 9:13 Cooldown 26 strava
              Sun 16.0 8:15 Long run 863 strava
                54.6 8:01   2138  

2:52:16 (2018)

iamdisappoint

jtreeves: 5:18 off of no specific training is pretty good, IMO. I ran exactly that in a TT back in June, then made it down to 5:10 back in August. 

swim: I think I was so busy this week that I missed that you had *two* quality LRs. At 7k feet. Holy crap you must be tired. Great work. You 100% sure we're not on the 2:39 train together?

andres: For the taper, I'm just going to do what I'm told. The coach I'm working with has got me in the best shape I've been in, and I've got no reason to doubt his judgement. He's been saying things like "you're a classic slow twitch guy, short/hard taper will work best", and I think the idea is to do a crash taper at like 10 days or so. I think that will mean carrying on with regular training until I'm 10 days out, then taking like 2 days completely off, then doing a drastic volume cut but with some faster work over the last 7 days. I've basically never got a taper right, so I feel like I don't have much to lose by trying something completely different.

I do like the idea of giving yourself a bunch of shots at sub-17. I'm really really bad at shorter races, and I think one of the reasons is that I just have close to zero practice running at that intensity for more than the duration of an interval. Plus, it'd be fun to race once a week (or whatever one can get away with for 5ks).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Marky_Mark_17

3DB  - awesome race! Congratulations!

IAM - man you nail some awesome weeks.  You are more like triple my total this week (although I am tapering!).

Andres, JTReeves - nice weeks guys.

Andres - I agree with IAM in terms of giving yourself a few cracks at the 5km.  I had a 10km 3-race series earlier this year... exactly the same course each time and my times were 35:41, 34:44, and 35:11.  I think just slightly different weather conditions, and prep made a quite a big difference.  Also I was in a foul mood before race 2 so that fired me up a bit (I went out FAR too fast and still ran a massive PR).

Me - total of 50km while on holiday - that was the first week of a 2 week taper with the marathon coming up this Sunday.  Mostly easy, with one longer 10km tempo effort.  That is the first week since April that I've been under 65km for the week!  I haven't had any really huge weeks, maxing out in the mid-90's, but I'm hopeful that consistency pays off come Sunday.  Also clicked over 3000km for the year in the process.  Looking like a pretty easy week this week with one short hard effort tomorrow.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

3DB - Great race. I can't wait to hear the RR

Iam - Amazing again. I'm really interested to see how this crash taper works. Also, I guess running 100 mpw doesn't directly translate to a 5K, but you must easily be able to do sub 17 and probably could hit sub 16 with some serious speed training.

Andres - I'm looking to sort of follow what you're doing next spring: run some shorter races and go for PRs. Breaking 17 would be a big accomplishment.

Swim - You have to go for that 2:39! You're not running 100 mpw to run a 2:45 are you?

JT - Glad to see you consistently back out there.

Mark - Best of luck this weekend! Do you have a bib for tracking? I'm really excited to see what you put up in your marathon debut. Sub 250 should be in the cards if your last few miles hold up!

Me - Week 1 of tapering for NYC. I probably fall somewhere between standard 3 week tapers and the 2 week tapers that many of you enjoy. This week, I ran 85% of my peak, so a bit more than most 3 week tapers say, but I still had some pretty tough workouts, including a 4x2T and a 3x2T. I don't remember who said it (Iam I think it was you), but Jack Daniels really is a magnificent bastard. I finally got to run those T workouts without putting 12+ miles in before starting them, and my paces were significantly faster. JD really knows how to train your body to get used to the pain and then yanks the rug from you in the taper to show you what's possible. I tried to keep it slower but just went with feel, which kept almost all the miles at sub 6. I'm really happy with the workouts, even today's, where my legs felt like absolute garbage but I was still keeping the miles under 6. I'm going to work hard not to push my paces during this taper but for week 1 of 3, I'm not too worried about it. My easy paces were also creeping faster even though they felt slower than some other weeks.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with where things are. I certainly do not feel that fresh (if I did, I'd be concerned about peaking too early anyway), but happy where my workouts have been. My next week will involve my final real workout midweek, followed by a sharper taper down. My only major concern for the marathon is just pure endurance, as I've only put in a 52 MPW average for this cycle and it's my second marathon, but that hay is already in the barn. I'll only find out at mile 20+.

Day Miles Description
                    Mon                -  
                    Tue 10.5 Easy plus strides
                    Wed 8.0 Easy
                    Thu 12.0 2E + 4x2T (avg: 5:54) + 2E
                    Fri -  
                    Sat 9.5 Easy plus strides
                    Sun 15.0 2E + 3x2T (avg:5:56) + 7E
                    Total 55.0 Rolling 12 Week Average: 52.9

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Swim5599

JMac I’ve been avg ing over 100 mpw s in marathon cycles for 3 years at this point.  I don’t have the kinda talent some guys my speed do so I have to outwork them.  If I would have had a legit half tune up in the 1:16 low range instead of my 34:30 10k TT I’m confident I could NS my way to 2:39 but without that I’m in no mans land, so I’m going out on feel and plan to devastate the race late.  I don’t just shoot for numbers anymore because it’s caused me to blow up once before  and that will never happen again.  I feel like I have another 2 years to get better so I just don’t want to blow opportunities.  100 plus mpw doesn’t always translate to ridiculous race times but it closes the gap on faster guys that aren’t.

The NYC guys best of luck with the taper.  That course is a beast

paul2432

Swim, IAM - I'm getting excited for your races.  Can't wait to see how you do.

ThreeDB - Hopefully you are happy with your result.

Here is my week (training for Tucson on 12/9)

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                        Mon 6.5 8:31 Lunch Run 0 strava
                        Tue 9.7 7:19 VO2 Intervals 0 strava
                        Wed 9.5 8:15 Morning Run 242 strava
                        Thu 10.9 8:04 Morning Run 770 strava
                        Thu 5.6 8:57 Afternoon Run 0 strava
                        Fri 8.0 8:17 Morning Run, w/strides 108 strava
                        Sat 20.1 8:02 Needed to stay near home ... 305 strava
                        Sun 11.0 8:19 Warm one, 82-90F 104 strava
                          81.3 8:08   1529

Tuesday paces will show faster than what I really ran.  This was on a TM and my footpod reads fast at faster paces (I usually increase the incline so the recorded pace is equivalent to the TM pace adjusted for elevation, but did not this time).

Pretty happy with the week overall.

ThreeDB

Thanks all.  Very happy to drop from 2:49 to 2:45, whole cycle has been a big leap forward.  Fingers crossed that I didn’t cut it too close for Boston 1/1.  My time would have been good enough every year except 2014, so...

Didn’t feel great for the first 8 miles or so, then found a groove and finally just relaxed.  As my pace oscillated, I realized that I got a lot out of the 5 in/out workouts this cycle, which forced me to learn to "recover" at 6:20 pace.  Then, at mile 23, out of the blue I felt like I was hit by a truck, probably nutrition-related (only took one gel, whereas usually I'd take 3).  Weather warmed up but didn't feel humid so not too much of a factor.

It was awful to get through the final 3.2 miles.  It felt like a kind of training run where I was brute-force pushing out the walls of my capacity.  For all of that, I don't feel beaten up right now like I would usually feel after a marathon -- strength training (light, but consistent) has made a huge difference.  If family would allow it, I would jump into Philly and believe I'd run it faster.

Next cycle I'll need to get more out of the weekly LR, to be able to hang on better while in the pain tunnel.  This 18-week cycle had only 6 runs of 20 or more miles, I might increase that to 12 runs next time, including more marathon-duration (time, not distance) fast-finish LR’s.  I'll also resume strength training this coming week, and anticipate good returns from another cycle of that.  Boston cycle begins in ~6 weeks.

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to following you and your races through year end.

weatherboy80

Wow - need to check in a bit more often.  First off hearty congrats to both ThreeDB and Parish for their FM's!

Andres:  Good luck this weekend!  I'm also going to run a 5K on Sat night.

IAM: Killer week and a really nice HM in training!  Good luck with your race!

Swim:  Solid week as usual.  Really solid at altitude.

JT:  Great to see you ramping back up.  Really nice time trial and a killer track workout!

Mark:  Nice week and enjoy the taper.

JMac:  Still a solid week with 2 quality weeks.  Enjoy the taper as well.

Paul:  nice big week!

Me:  Had probably my best week so far in this early cycle getting in over 82 miles in the heat/humidity.  Cooler weather FINALLY arrives on Wednesday!  In fact, upper 50's and 60's might feel cold for a bit?  Anyways,  had two nice quality workouts on Wed and then again Sun.  Wed I had 14 miles including a 5 X 1200 on the track that were perhaps a little slow, but were nice evenly paced efforts that got a bit faster each rep.  Was then able to run 7 as a progression from EZ pace down to HM pace right afterwards.  Then Sunday was probably my biggest workout (after playing hockey the night before) of the cycle where I ran 15 total with 8 at a tempo (T) effort within a a small local race (including a 1 mile and 5K that started a few min apart).  The way we structured this workout was to do a 5 mile warmup, then run the 1 mile race at T pace, followed by a short 1 min rest, run 2 at T pace, rest, run the 5K at T (plus) effort, another short rest and finish by running 2 more at T effort!  Actually won the local 5K by pacing right about where I hope to run my HM in 2 weeks (averaged right around 6:02 pace for the 8 miles) with a heat index of 86.  So assuming a modest cool down in a few weeks think I might be setting up fairly well for a HM at this point.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Oct 16, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 22, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Mon 8.3 7:42 AM Miles: Sunrise and 2-3 degrees cooler! strava
                            Mon 5.2 7:49 PM Miles: Too much coffee strava
                            Tue 11.2 7:49 Should have run earlier! Cooler, but dew point climbed 4 deg during my run! strava
                            Wed 2.2 8:37 When 75 and a breeze feels cold? Warm up w/ Jon and Jen strava
                            Wed 5.4 6:32 Breezy 5 X 1200 w/ Jon strava
                            Wed 7.2 7:52 Extended cool down w/ 1M strava
                            Thu 13.2 8:03 Windy and something about my donuts? strava
                            Fri 7.5 7:45 AM Miles: EZ + strides strava
                            Fri 4.5 7:51 PM Miles strava
                            Sat 2.2 8:13 Pregame warm-up strava
                            Sat     Charity Hockey strava
                            Sun 5.0 8:25 5E with Jen and Jon strava
                            Sun 6.2 6:04 Soupy 1T + 5K @ T + 2T + see next entry (Garmin issues) strava
                            Sun 3.5 7:09 1.2 E + 2T + Garmin reboot strava
                            Sun 0.5 8:39 Cool down - Garmin malfunction strava

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

flashinthepan

Monday, Oct 16, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 22, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 15.1 6:24 5x1.5 Miles @ 8:05 (5:24 pace) 151 (77%) strava
                              Mon 4.0 7:14 Afternoon Run 0 (0%) strava
                              Tue 12.0 7:16 Morning Run 141 (72%) strava
                              Wed 15.0 6:08 9 Mile Tempo @ 5:46- 3 wu, 3 cd 156 (80%) strava
                              Wed 4.6 7:29 Double Stroller Jog 141 (72%) strava
                              Thu 12.3 7:07 Morning Run 140 (72%) strava
                              Thu 5.3 6:59 Evening Run 141 (72%) strava
                              Fri 12.0 7:05 Morning Run 140 (72%) strava
                              Sat 3.3 5:23 Collierville Fun Fest 5K- 1st place 169 (87%) strava
                              Sat 12.4 6:35 Tired Legs Run 161 (83%) strava
                                96.0 6:45      

Another fun week in the books. Legs were definitely tired after after 22 on Saturday, but my Monday 1.5 mile repeats went well. My Tempo on Wednesday was definitely the highlight of the week for me. I've never run a tempo that long and that fast before. So it was a huge confidence builder for me.

Then with a couple of easy days I was able to hop into a 5k race on Saturday. It was a Halloween race so I dressed up as the Flash and essentially called my shot with my costume. There was some prize money involved and I really wanted to win. Due to the fact that my wife is in the middle of her half marathon training as well, I got a late start heading to the race and found myself parking about 5 minutes before the race was supposed to start. No warm up, flash costume on, prize money on the line, here goes nothing!  As it turned out, no one else felt like dressing up, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, no one told the fast guys about the race, so I was able to get the easy win even though I took a quarter mile detour. Made for a fun morning. Overall, great week.

Mmmmm...beer

3DB, great race, congrats!!

Only 27 miles for me last week, more drastic of a taper than I was planning, but my right quad was not happy after my last long run, so I didn't want to push it. Gave it some extra rest, and it felt fine for my trail half on Saturday.

Gonna keep it short and easy this week. Weather looks great for Saturday, High 40s/low 50s, partly cloudy.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!