2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

And dem's the best years.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

rmcj001

Julia, IIRC there was a bit of brief rain around mile 2 (was still with 3:35 group) and around mile 4 (with 3:30 group). Yes, most of the rain was just before the start.  It did seem pretty sporadic and quite possible that you didn't get any. I was running in VFFs, so there doesn't have to be much standing water to get my feet wet.  I have a tendency to run the paint lane lines and there were a couple of times had to move off to avoid water or move closer to avoid the "worn" tire tracks where water accumulated.  Don't think normal shod people would have noticed as much.

Don't know when I'll start gearing up for Boston.  I have a hard time maintaining focus sometimes. For last years CIM it was 8 weeks out that I started serious training and I think that's about the limit of my attention span for a specific race.  So, for next 2 - 2 1/2 months will probably try to keep base mileage around 50 mpw and then start more specific training for Boston.  Also, need to put 4-5 more pounds on my body to prepare for the training.

Ray

I would be very interested to know how that Tenex procedure works for you.  Please keep me posted.  I have been dealing with chronic achilles issues for about 5 years.

Thanks

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Julia1971

In case anyone's interested, I posted my thoughts on the Hansons plan on my blog just now and my CIM race report a couple days ago.  On to Boston!

Cyberic

In case anyone's interested, I posted my thoughts on the Hansons plan on my blog just now and my CIM race report a couple days ago.  On to Boston!

Thanks. I read your thoughts on the Hansons plan. Interesting. I used Hansons also but my target race MP was slower than my training MP: I targeted 5 minutes slower for the race than my training MP would have yielded, and was successful.

Julia1971

Thanks. I read your thoughts on the Hansons plan. Interesting. I used Hansons also but my target race MP was slower than my training MP: I targeted 5 minutes slower for the race than my training MP would have yielded, and was successful.

Based on my experience, that was smart.  Being a little conservative is better than overly optimistic with that plan.

I am in. This will be my fifth time out there and hopefully my fourth completed Boston (dropped out in 2012 when it was ridiculously hot). Began the official buildup Thanksgiving week and things are looking okay as far as fitness goes at this stage. I am cautiously optimistic despite the change in profession that has reduced the time I can commit to training (especially doubles).

jfa

Monday marks 18 weeks out.

Pfitz is the shitzizille for me.

There were other factors involved, but the last 2 marathons I used the 18/55 then 18/75 plans and knocked off 26 minutes off my 3 year PR.

It fits me well. I will sub out some tempo and LT runs for hill workouts though, given the course profile.

Julia1971

Monday marks 18 weeks out.

Pfitz is the shitzizille for me.

There were other factors involved, but the last 2 marathons I used the 18/55 then 18/75 plans and knocked off 26 minutes off my 3 year PR.

It fits me well. I will sub out some tempo and LT runs for hill workouts though, given the course profile.

I think it works well for me, too.  But, I'm thinking of trying Hudson for this training cycle and then going back to Pfitz for NYCM next fall.

KelsMarathonGirl

Hi! My name is Kelsey Drew. I'm currently a senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in Equine Science. My life as a distance runner began when I started at UK.  My goal was to eventually qualify to run the Boston Marathon. Well, let the dream begin!  In April, I ran my second marathon AND I ran a Boston Marathon qualifying time of 3 hours 25 minutes and 5 seconds!! On September 21st,I received an email confirming my acceptance into the 2016 Boston Marathon.  However, as you can imagine, with airplane tickets, hotel, and the race registration fee, this is going to be a REALLY expensive adventure - especially for a 21 year old college student! I'm trying to raise money to help offset the cost of the trip. I would really like to have my parents there to support me in Boston as well. Any little bit of money that you could donate to help send me to Boston would be greatly appreciated. Please share with friends and family. Thank you for helping me make my dream come true!

The link to my Gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/fs53zxay

MelvinKShimer

I signed up for my first triathlon. Goint to take part in NYC March Events which is going to start from 19th march 2016 at citi field, New York .

I am really, very nervous about the running part. But what is that all about 11 in a row..? Didn't get it....????

mikeymike

However, as you can imagine, with airplane tickets, hotel, and the race registration fee, this is going to be a REALLY expensive adventure

Actually most of the people in this thread don't have to imagine it, they are living it. I love your enthusiasm for running Boston but I have to say I think your asking other people to fund your adventure is seriously lacking in perspective.

Runners run

mikeymike

Also, yikes, yesterday marked 18 weeks.

Runners run

Amen.  That really takes some nerve (and not in a good way).  My dream is to retire early.  I wonder how many suckers I could find to donate to my GoFundMe page.

Actually most of the people in this thread don't have to imagine it, they are living it. I love your enthusiasm for running Boston but I have to say I think your asking other people to fund your adventure is seriously lacking in perspective.

Joann Y

$7.25 x 20 x 18 = $2610  Blammo!