Two black toenails after a race in Kinvaras (Read 1677 times)

Another vote for crayon vomit Big grin

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another vote for crayon vomit Big grin

You can guess from my avatar (until I change it) what my vote is Cool.  Maybe it's a Beatles generation thing.

Hoodoo Guru

Crayon vomit.  The "louder" the running shoe the better.

Go for Crayon vomit.  That way they will match your tights.

The tangents are moot.

I look my best blurry!

Kristen:

Is it your right "twisted" foot? ;o)

It isn't "twisted" it "twists".  Just a little.  Confused  You tell me when you see for yourself.  

I look my best blurry!

Earlier I said I'm probably going to get another pair of DS Trainers for next year. Should I go for crayon vomit or conservative?

I think a fridge wearing crayon vomit shoes would be very scary.  I vote for crayon vomit.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'm sorry, but BS.  Energy flow?  What if you--as most recent fad goes--land on mid-foot and there's no braking action of "landing on the outside of the heel"?  What if you land nicely above the Center of Gravity and there's no "slide forward"?  And did you see the big bunion on the base of his big toe and how his big toe is turning inward?  A sure sign of wearing wrong type of shoe for years and years.  I would not take a shoe advice from people with a big bunion or black toe nails.  Also, one of the biggest "urban myths" of running shoes is that you need the thumb width from the edge of your shoe to the end of your toes.  You need that if the shoe don't fit right or if the shoe is not properly constructed.

The "energy flow" I did not get. Right foot is 1/2 size larger than left foot. So, going up 1/2 a size is out of the question. I have flat feet. The left foot gets corns on the lower portion of the small toe. Wondering, should  I go from a D with to a E width? Two pair of Asics 2100's. Each with about 450 miles. I have a new pair of Reebok RDK premier. I have not run more than 6 miles in them and they do not feel completely  comfortable. Ran a half  marathon in the D size and the last 100 yards was painful. Plan to run 50k(golf paths and roads) this Sunday in the E size. May take both and change over at some point.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdy:

Yes, some feet swell a bit more than others.  But to think your feet will swell even more in the ultra race is another myth.  So if someone's foot swell up by a half an inch at the end of a 10k race, would his feet swell up by an inch at the end of the marathon and 2 inches at the end of a 100 mile race?  Then people who run a 6-day race (do they still have that?) would have their feet double their size by the end of the race!!  Yes, some people's feet swell more than others.  But I would bet his/her feet swell up a certain size at the end of a 10k race and probably the same size at the end of the marathon and at the end of the ultra race.  And I can assure you that it's not gonna be your thumb width.  That would be way too scarey.

Granted it is not a linear progression. But yes, feet do swell more the longer the distance covered. For very long races this can be as much as 2 shoe sizes (and yes... it is scarey). A friend of mine has just had a crack at the women's 7 day treadmill world record and finished wearing shoes 2 sizes larger than normal as she couldn't get her feet into her normal ones. However..... most people's ultras don't last 7 days!

MTA:
                Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-11613114

She also did it with a stress fracture.... and she is a grand mother.

a bit more here: http://www.run247.com/articles/article-768-congratulations!.html

The "energy flow" I did not get. Right foot is 1/2 size larger than left foot. So, going up 1/2 a size is out of the question. I have flat feet. The left foot gets corns on the lower portion of the small toe. Wondering, should  I go from a D with to a E width? Two pair of Asics 2100's. Each with about 450 miles. I have a new pair of Reebok RDK premier. I have not run more than 6 miles in them and they do not feel completely  comfortable. Ran a half  marathon in the D size and the last 100 yards was painful. Plan to run 50k(golf paths and roads) this Sunday in the E size. May take both and change over at some point.

Ah!  Been there done that.  My left foot is definitely bigger.  I usually counter by inserting an extra insole to my right shoe.  It really can't be a whole sheet of insole so I usually use one of those Dr. Schorl (or whatever the spelling) thingie and chop a bunch of holes.  Sometimes just the heel part; sometimes just the forefoot...  But this seems to work fine. 

Another thing you can do is to wear different socks from right to left.

Granted it is not a linear progression. But yes, feet do swell more the longer the distance covered. For very long races this can be as much as 2 shoe sizes (and yes... it is scarey). A friend of mine has just had a crack at the women's 7 day treadmill world record and finished wearing shoes 2 sizes larger than normal as she couldn't get her feet into her normal ones. However..... most people's ultras don't last 7 days!

MTA:
                    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-11613114

She also did it with a stress fracture.... and she is a grand mother.

a bit more here: http://www.run247.com/articles/article-768-congratulations!.html

Wow!  Is this a common thing among ultra people or is this rather exceptional (individual matter)?  Do they have to switch shoes during the race?

Kalsarikännit

I have found that while my feet swell during a race, it is NOTHING compared to after the race.  The second you sit down all hell breaks loose.  This is another good reason to "beware the chair" during a long race.  Changing shoes during a long race is always nice, because by mile 50 of a 100 the shoes just don't feel that cushioned.  It is one of those things you don't even notice until you put on new shoes, then ahhhh...  springy, new, comfy shoes.  That second set of shoes is definitely laced a little looser.

I have a pair of bright yellow Saucony Fastwiches for the short stuff.  I can't believe a running store would sell someone as slow as me a BRIGHT yellow shoe.  It's ridiculous.  They should be ashamed of themselves.  There should be some kind of qualifying standard for yellow shoes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a pair of bright yellow Saucony Fastwiches for the short stuff.  I can't believe a running store would sell someone as slow as me a BRIGHT yellow shoe.  It's ridiculous.  They should be ashamed of themselves.  There should be some kind of qualifying standard for yellow shoes.

There's probably a qualifying IQ, but any ultra runner is going to be safely under it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I ran in those puppies this morning. I feel like a locomotive when I run in them, not in terms of speed, but in terms of the fluidity of the motion. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Quantify: "the short stuff".

xor

I ran in those puppies this morning.

Version #1: I would never run in hush puppies.  Born To Run aside, not enough support in hush puppies.

Version #2: calling shoes "puppies" is interesting.  We already call feet "dogs".  So you have placed your dogs in your puppies.  Turducken running.