Running Shorts Suggestions? (Read 1308 times)

I find that the little diamond does nothing to offset the seam on the rear of compression shorts.  I recommend Patagonia.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-active-hipster-brief?p=32406-0-989

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-active-briefs?p=32402-0-987

A bit off topic:  what do you wear under compression shorts and tights?  This is not about VPL, but cotton underwear is not wicking, and the seam on my tights is in the middle and if I go sans undies I feel like I'm being sawn in half through my private business.  Not a good feeling.  I'm wary of a running skirt because most have compression shorts underneath.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that the little diamond does nothing to offset the seam on the rear of compression shorts.  I recommend Patagonia.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-active-hipster-brief?p=32406-0-989

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-active-briefs?p=32402-0-987

Do you not end up with welts on your ass cheeks?  When I first started running I wore undies...I must have tried at least a dozen "sport" styles before I got smart and went commando.  I used to get bloody welts where cheek meets thigh.  Not nice, especially not when I'd get in the shower and salty sweat would run in those raw wounds.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

I like Nike's basic short. I think it's the Tempo short. It's not crazy short and the built in liner is nice and soft. They don't ride up on me at all. I recently got about 6 pairs - isn't it a great feeling when you find that one little piece of workout gear that really does it for you?!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

LoL!  Although really not funny; more like painful.  Nope, I haven't had that problem.  I've done a few 50Ks in them and a 50 miler.  No problems.

Bras, on the other hand, have been another matter.

Do you not end up with welts on your ass cheeks?  When I first started running I wore undies...I must have tried at least a dozen "sport" styles before I got smart and went commando.  I used to get bloody welts where cheek meets thigh.  Not nice, especially not when I'd get in the shower and salty sweat would run in those raw wounds.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I have a pair of these too and they do not ride up on me and are quite comfy...however; I am kinda short so I feel like they look too long on me and they are too long for me in the summer.

So, what do you dislike about your current "spandexy bike shorts"? It seems to me that may be a reasonable choice given all of the dislikes you listed about other styles.

Personally, I don't like running in shorts unless it's for 3 miles or less and even then I prefer a skirt in the summer and tights in the winter.

My "spandexy bike shorts" aren't moisture-wicking and take a while to dry. So, on long runs, I am perpetually plagued by swamp ass.  (Maybe TMI.)  For some reason, I sweat primarily in the gluteus region even though said gluteus is not especially large.  I feel that if I transitioned to shorts that were looser in the legs it would provide greater air circulation and less swamp.  I am running a relay in a few weeks and want to be as comfy as possible.  It is a relay, so I'm sure it is a losing battle on any account!

ETA:  Thanks for all the suggestions!  I have been comparing them all!

I define thunder thighs and there are no traditional shorts (no matter how thin I am) that don't ride up and chafe.  If you store a lot of mass in the thighs like me, your best bet is compression shorts.  Decent quality ones that fit properly will pretty much eliminate the problem.  I prefer the longer ones myself.  Underarmour is good.

dennrunner

Underarmour is good.

...and they're made of unicorn skin.