Alternatives to Yaktrax (Read 152 times)

I'm OK with using Yaktrax when I'm stuck on snowy and icy surfaces.  I don't dare run on the lumpy ice and snow without them.  I hate that effing surface anyhow.  My problem is not all surfaces are ice and snow here in Chicagoland this time of year.   And when my Yaktrax hit the pavement I don't feel comfortable with them.  I've had the metal springs come loose too many times too.  I haven't used my Yaktrax once this year, since I'm sick and tired of them and just look for snow and ice free surfaces most of the time.  I hate when I get stuck running on busy streets though.  That's why I'm looking for some kind of compromise to Yaktrax.   I have thought about pounding tiny nails through my shoes too.  But I'm still more than open to other alternatives too.

cjervin

When going from snow/ice to payment, the 1/4" or 3/8" sheet metal screws in the bottom of an older pair of shoes works best for me. I just replace the screws that get worn down over time.  I agree with you on Yaxtrax on snow/ice, but they would wear out or break quickly on a hard surface.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

JCM61

StabilIcers Sport Lite work better for me than Yaktrax and the cleats can be replaced easily. You can find them on Amazon.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

StabilIcers Sport Lite work better for me than Yaktrax and the cleats can be replaced easily. You can find them on Amazon.

Yes, I like Stabilicers, also.  Much better than Yaktrax, fortunately!

Thanks, those do look more practical and less worrisome than Yaktrax.

muppy

How to screw your shoes

+1 on screw shoes! That's what I use for areas where it's back and forth snow/ice/clear pavement. I have micro spikes for all snow and ice.

I've had the metal springs come loose too many times too.

you just reminded me of the time one of my yaktrax springs came loose, uncoiled and then hooked onto my pants on my other leg making me stumble and almost trip into an oncoming car. ahhh....adrenaline. drug of choice.

screws work as stated above.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

anyone ever use the Yaktrax Run?     for those who have had troubles with the Yaktrax,, did you use the regular Yaktrax or the Yaktrax Pro?  Yaktrax Pro's are $10 more but are stronger, more durable.  have not used any of them before so just curious in case I ever need traction devices around Seattle area.   all of these are available at REI

Teresadfp

One day at a time

anyone ever use the Yaktrax Run?     for those who have had troubles with the Yaktrax,, did you use the regular Yaktrax or the Yaktrax Pro?  Yaktrax Pro's are $10 more but are stronger, more durable.  have not used any of them before so just curious in case I ever need traction devices around Seattle area.   all of these are available at REI

I used only the Pros and they still wore out pretty quickly.

I have a pair of Salomon spiked trail shoes. I don't use them much as it is slushy/snowy on the side roads around where I live, but they are awesome on ice!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.