A rant regarding marathon goal (Read 853 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

She could beat me. I'm completely being honest about that. We're doing a 10K next weekend and it'll be close. I think I can still edge her out...maybe throw a chicken wing if I have to. I'll report how it goes. quote> Then make that the deciding factor. She beats you, you run with her at her pace (in silence, thanks to the iPod). You beat her, you get to run at your goal pace, and she runs at hers. And have that chicken wing ready. Evil grin

A Saucy Wench

The point is regardless of whether or not his goal is realistic, he has the drive to improve and someday sometime he is going to want to put it all out there and she wants him to stay with him. You gotta work this out. Forget about the specific time. Talk about your goals together and your individual goals and set certain runs/races to stick together and certain races to go at your own pace. Work them in to your plan. It is a touchy line to "run with someone". My definition of that usually is "we hang out before the race together and see eachother at the finish line and then go out after for brunch if you want" But I have a couple friends who dont see it that way. I run every day with a good friend and I think eventually she will be faster than me if she isnt already. I think she is afraid to run the same races in case I am right... I wont be offended if she is faster than me, but I have lost another friend simply because I improved and I was supposed to be in her shadow.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

kcam

This has me intrigued. How do you figure that?
        It's just an observation based on my own, and others I know, results/training. Your weekly mileage / Long run for the weeks prior to the race seem really light to run a marathon for a time goal: 30.2 / 13 36.3 / 18 32.5 / 13 40.2 / 20 25.3 / 12 21.4 /8 Race If I had done that kind of mileage I woulda probably finished in 6 in those conditions - so my hat's off to you! My sister ran that race and I think her mileage was similar to yours, maybe even a bit more, and she was a 6 hour finisher. She has run Chicago in 3:58 before but on much better training and much better weather.
          I guess the difference was from the fact that our training in MS was during hotter and more humid conditions than Chicago. Don't get me wrong, Chicago was hot but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for us. I think we were just conditioned to the temp a little bit better than some folks. I do admit that only one 20 miler wasn't enough. My plan for this one will include at least two 20 milers and an additional day of weekday running at an easy pace. We'll see how it goes. I may crash and burn but that's fine with me...at least I tried.

Half Fanatic #846

Let's see - 1. Tupelo in late Aug.? 2. Where they start at 5 am so it'll only be a 75 or 80 degree start? 3. Where the race motto is "Trample the weak and hurdle the dead" ? (really) If you're interested in a good marathon time, why not appease the wife on this one and use it as a training run? Use the extra few weeks to better prepare for a goal race (fall or winter) when the weather is cool and you have a realistic (IMHO) chance. Everybody wins. Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Right on Hereford...

It's just an observation based on my own, and others I know, results/training. Your weekly mileage / Long run for the weeks prior to the race seem really light to run a marathon for a time goal: 30.2 / 13 36.3 / 18 32.5 / 13 40.2 / 20 25.3 / 12 21.4 /8 Race If I had done that kind of mileage I woulda probably finished in 6 in those conditions - so my hat's off to you! My sister ran that race and I think her mileage was similar to yours, maybe even a bit more, and she was a 6 hour finisher. She has run Chicago in 3:58 before but on much better training and much better weather.
              Those mileages and long runs are almost identical to mine leading up to my first (and only) marathon. I topped out at 40 mpw for one week only, and my longest run was 20 miles. I had one 18-miler, and some in the 16-mile range. OP, did you use the Hal Higdon Novice Program? Smile I ended up running 3:30, which only goes to show that everyone is different, and there are a lot more variables than weekly mileage and the distance of your long runs (although those are admittedly very important)!
              JakeKnight

It is a touchy line to "run with someone". My definition of that usually is "we hang out before the race together and see each other at the finish line and then go out after for brunch if you want" But I have a couple friends who dont see it that way. I run every day with a good friend and I think eventually she will be faster than me if she isnt already. I think she is afraid to run the same races in case I am right... I wont be offended if she is faster than me, but I have lost another friend simply because I improved and I was supposed to be in her shadow.
                Yup. Its touchy, all right. Which is why I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole with my roommate/lover/spouse/dog. I'd just clear it up first, and have one of two options: either we run separate and meet at the end, or whoever is faster agrees to run at the slower pace and do it cheerfully. Maybe the best option is to both train hard and actually be competitive. I'd love to have a significant other that might - or might not - beat me in every race. How cool would that be? Your own personal pace-bunny-with-benefits. But as far as the original poster's dilemma ... touchy is an apt description. I just decided to run the thing just to watch. I'm cheering for the wife.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Yeah, I used Higdon's novice program. I followed it pretty closely...maybe shifted a few runs around and I think only skipped one run in the whole program. This next one I'm blending his Novice II and Intermediate I and see what results I get. I wanted to do his Intermediate program but can't commit to a pace run followed by a long run the next day on the weekend. Saturdays are typically my wife's long run day and I get Sunday. The rest of the time on the weekends are pretty much filled up with our girls' activities.
                    I just decided to run the thing just to watch. I'm cheering for the wife.
                    It doesn't matter really. She won't hear you with her iPod. Big grin
                    JakeKnight

It doesn't matter really. She won't hear you with her iPod. Big grin
                      Wait. She's wearing the iPod during the race? Never mind. I'm cheering for you.

During our Chicago training, she cancelled one of her long runs that we were going to do together since the kids were out of town because her iPod wasn't charged. Talk about it being a crutch. Roll eyes
                        JakeKnight

During our Chicago training, she cancelled one of her long runs that we were going to do together since the kids were out of town because her iPod wasn't charged. Talk about it being a crutch. Roll eyes
                          She wears the iPod when you're running WITH her?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My running partner and I are like sisters - she and I even went on vacation to Texas together. We would do anything for each other. But our RULE is that when the race starts, we go at our own pace. Sometimes she leaves me in the dust, and sometimes I beat her by a lot. It works out quite well. Afterwards, we go out to breakfast and dissect the race.
                              Yes. Another reason I don't want to run or train for this race with her. Everything else in our relationship we are fine, but as runners...we aren't compatiable.
                              JakeKnight

Yes. Another reason I don't want to run or train for this race with her. Everything else in our relationship we are fine, but as runners...we aren't compatiable.
                                So what's the point of running together if she's got the pod on? Oh, wait - do you guys share one iPod, with twin phones, one for each of you? Clowning around