Best Neutral Running Shoes (Read 2614 times)

mikeymike

One may try the Lunarfly if one wants however one may find it  feels like one is running with pillows strapped to ones feet.  One may deem this acceptable for ones easy jogging days but one may want something less cushy for ones tempos and workouts.  If one is thusly inclined to jogging at high speeds, that is.

Runners run

xor

One is the loneliest number that I've ever known.

One and one and one are three.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

@Coppersean:  Orthodics are far better for correcting anything wrong with ones stride/foot/pronontation/etc, and provide far better injury reduction than simply switching shoes.  One cannot spout minimalism as a magical cure all for ones issues, orthodics are proven science.  While one can call minimalism whatever they want, I don't think its trumpeted miracles go as far as fixing flat feet.

I wouldn't exactly call it miracles, but wearing (not necessarily running in) very flexible shoes will increase the arch for most people with low arches. My wife had flat feet, started wearing NB 790's and indoor soccer shoes around, and her arch lifted significantly over a 6 month - 1 year timeframe, I can't remember exact times.

She complained of pain and cramping at first, and couldn't wear them for long periods of time, but now has fewer problems with her ankles, has better balance, and over time has moved from motion control shoes to neutral shoes.

Orthotics correct biomechanics to let you do something with your joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments the way they are right now. What the guys preaching minimalist shoes believe is better is to correct the imbalance or weakness that's causing the biomechanical problem. You can do both, run in the orthotics or more supportive shoes to train running, walk and do some agility type drills in something flexible to strengthen. Won't work for every person or problem, but worth a shot for many people.

I agree, for running, cushioning isn't necessarily a bad thing, but inflexibility is. Different people are going to find different shoes that have flex points in the right spots for their feet. Saucony made a cheap shoe called the Domain a few years ago that fit my feet that way, their Triumph and Trigon don't, Puma's Prevail did, Adidas Supernova was awful for me. There's nothing wrong with the Triumph or Trigon, and the Supernova will be fine for many people (I still think it's too stiff though). Just because they didn't work for me doesn't mean they're a bad shoe.

The King of Beasts

One may try the Lunarfly if one wants however one may find it  feels like one is running with pillows strapped to ones feet.  One may deem this acceptable for ones easy jogging days but one may want something less cushy for ones tempos and workouts.  If one is thusly inclined to jogging at high speeds, that is.

what in the Hell are talking about?

(has one been drinking?)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Kalsarikännit

Yup.  One is thusly inclined to believe that booze is involved.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

(has one been drinking?)

Context. It helps.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

Yeah it would have been better had my post not started a new page.  Alas.

It's a lot like the bacon and eggs example of the difference between involved and committed.  With bacon and eggs, the hen is involved but the pig is committed.  Actually it's nothing like that but WG's use of the word "involved" made me think of that.

Today I ran in the Hyperspeeds, for those who wish we'd get this thread back on track, such as it was.

Runners run

(has one been drinking?)

drunk with prepositions

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kalsarikännit

It's a lot like the bacon and eggs example of the difference between involved and committed.  With bacon and eggs, the hen is involved but the pig is committed.  Actually it's nothing like that but WG's use of the word "involved" made me think of that.

Sounds right.  Right now in running terms, I am a hen, and as usual, you are a pig. 

He is Mikey the Pig? 

Kalsarikännit

He is Mikey the Pig? 

Different kind of pig.

But I do have a feeling that late summer he is going to do to a 5k what DB did to a 24 hr.

would cheer me up; vicarious living is underrated.