Dead legs and a race in 12 days - my plan (Read 397 times)

OK, I overdid it a bit last week. Was coming off my longest long run and first 25 mile week so I felt a little invincible. Was doing OK early in the week but early Thursday hockey game with no subs made me skate the entire 60 minutes with no breaks. But I just had to get my run in too so I did an easy 3 at lunch. Lifted weights Friday and tried to do a 10 miler Saturday morning that turned into a 7.2 miler b/c my legs were fatigued. Took Sun and Mon off completely and my legs felt heavy and shins were sore/fatigued. Planned a 5-mile run this morning but couldn't get up. Felt tired and legs still felt heavy. Feeling a bit better right now so here's my plan for my race. Feedback is welcome: Tonight: hockey game. League game with full subs so should be OK Wed am: Chest/triceps weight workout followed by easy 3 Thurs: 5.5 mile steady pace/tempo Fri: Back/biceps weight workout (may do an easy 3 depending on how I feel) Saturday: Long 7.5 miles - could go longer (8.5-10) depending on how I feel Sun: Easy 3 recovery - (or should I push to Monday?) Race week: Mon 6/23: Chest/tri workout Tuesday 6/24 : 5 mile steady run in the morning, 9:20pm hockey game Wed 6/25: off Thursday 6/26: 5.5 mile steady Friday 6/27: Back/biceps - easy 3 Sat 6/28: off Sun 6/29 - race day 7.5 miler

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I recommended this in another thread, but it bears repeating. In my experience (and I've also read it) , it may be better to take the Thursday off before your race and go easy on Friday.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I recommended this in another thread, but it bears repeating. In my experience (and I've also read it) , it may be better to take the Thursday off before your race and go easy on Friday.
        Good point. So, Thursday off. I have the option of adding in a 5K race on Wednesday night. I wouldn't go all out - just set a good tempo for it. Take Thurs off, easy 3 on Friday, Saturday rest.